Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego decals for trains among other themes

madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
edited July 2011 in Building and Techniques
I was wondering, I see a lot of custom trains online and see decals on them for companies like Santa Fe Conrail, etc...
I also see a lot of people 'borrowing' designs from Coke and printing out like soda machine decals and what not. Since I do not want to sell, Id only want to do for my personal collection, I am just wondering:
What the best method is to get these designs and also for printing them out and what not?

Comments

• Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    If you want to make stickers of your own, you can do the following;

*Keep in mind you'll need a printer and sheet of paper with adhesive backing. Also, the quality of the printed logos may not be as great as you expect, depending on the printer and ink you're using.

1) Copy and save any logos ( and not Legos! :P ) you come accross
    2) Paste them onto a Word file or any software you can print on
    3) Print the file and voila!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    edited July 2011
    Thanks, but what is the best kind of sticker paper is used for this type of work? Both clear and opaque?
    That depends. If you want just the logos to appear more naturally on the lego surface you're applying on ( rather than that "applied on" appearance ), you should use clear. I can't comment on opaque though. The only problem with clear is that the color of the Lego surface may make the logos look a bit faded, especially if you're applying light logo colours on a dark lego surface ( ie; white letters on a black surface ). Otherwise, you should use regular paper or the plastic type :)
    Thanks again, it their a specific brand that is better over another?
    I would probably use clear and not opaque... unless it was trying to maybe color match to the color of tha parts I was using.. especially for train decals I see people all the time building stock cars with great decals and since they are not will to share their secrets I was hoping someone can point in in the right directions in terms of type of sticker paper, brand, is there a quality difference, are their websites where I can get decals, or designs that I can print out (I think I have a railroad one already bookmarked somewhere but not sure) etc..
    I've used Avery before, but not the clear type paper. The non-clear ones I used were pretty good, as they've got good adhestion and ability to absorb the ink. Check the link below;

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Crafts-&-Scrapbooking/Scrapbooking/White-Sticker-Paper_53202.htm

Depending on where you live, you may want to check out your local stationery store. Or do a search on Avery clear paper.

Hope you like it! ;)
    Thank you :-)
    Are there any specific sites someone can note that has decals, or graphics that I can download and use?
    (legally of course)