Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Interesting Facts About Collectible Minifigures (CMFs)

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
edited November 2013 in Collecting
My family and I like to collect the mystery CMFs sets that are released roughly three times each year. The mini-posters are placed in consecutive order on a wall in the kitchen for all to look at, and the kids get to pick a newer CMF as a reward for their school performance.

I thought it might be interesting to look at a few tidbits that I could glean from analyzing recent USA eBay sales data on the CMFs. Without going too much into the statistical analysis, this data includes both sealed and opened CMFs. There are some surprising (and not so surprising) facts that came out...

My analysis found that the top 10 average priced CMFs in descending order are:

1) Series 1 - Zombie (not surprising)
2) Series 1 - Nurse (coming on strong)
3) Series 1 - Circus Clown
4) Series 1 - Robot
5) Series 1 - Wrestler
6) Series 2 - Spartan Warrior
7) Series 6 - Roman Soldier
8) Series 1 - Tribal Hunter (Indian)
9) Series 5 - Evil Dwarf
10) Series 10 - Grandpa

There's really no surprise that Series 1 is King of the CMFs; however, I was surprised by Grandpa making the list (no disrespect to you Grandpas out there). I guess it might be a good time to pick up grandpas and grandmas before they go higher.

The highest average priced Series CMF is Series 1 (as is obvious), and the lowest average priced Series CMF is Series 7. Keep in mind that Series 1 and Series 2 CMFs sold for $1.99 while all future Series CMFs sold for $2.99 (unless you were unfortunate enough to purchase yours at TRU...then suffice to say it was likely higher than $2.99). The attached graph shows the average current prices in the USA for each series. I will be glad to produce more statistical info as requested regarding the CMFs as time allows.

rocaoandhe

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    edited November 2013
    Average Current Pricing for Series 1 on eBay in USA (Descending Order):

1) Zombie
    2) Nurse
    3) Circus Clown
    4) Robot
    5) Super Wrestler
    6) Tribal Hunter (Indian)
    7) Forestman (Robin Hood)
    8) Ninja
    9) Deep Sea Diver
    10) Spaceman
    11) Skateboarder
    12) Cowboy
    13) Demolition Dummy
    14) Magician
    15) Cheerleader
    16) Caveman

I actually would have thought the cheerleader and skateboarder would both be higher on the list, but both are included in the Lego calendar; hence, they are both easy to get. I would image sealed versions of either are higher though.

I'm not sure about the caveman...would have thought he would have been higher too, but the data is what the data is. Conversely, the deep sea diver used to be much lower, but appears to be moving up.

All for what it's worth...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Bricklink might give you more reliable data, and over six months too.

In fact, it has already been done a few months ago http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7505

You'll notice quite different results.
  • mrbradfordmrbradford Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 45
    Thanks for referencing that. The most recent version of my CMF Compendium can be found here: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-collectible-minifigures-series-1-12-compendium-3rd-edition/
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    Thanks for the link...I'll check it out.

I used this link to get my data from eBay:

http://www.thepricegeek.com/

I have found that CMFs purchased on Bricklink tend to be more expensive than eBay for me...at least with new sealed CMFs. Because of this I'll check Bricklink, but tend to end up just purchasing from eBay.
    klatu003
  • RemixDesignRemixDesign LondonMember Posts: 22
    I've just collected them all CMF Series 1-13, and I've been tracking them with a spreadsheet. I find series 8 and 10 were the most expensive generally after series 1-3.
  • ourmoneydiaryourmoneydiary Member Posts: 12
    We've recently started collecting the CMFs and have found eBay prices to be cheaper than Bricklink. We also earn eBay bucks with each purchase (very minimal, maybe a few dollars at most), which helps toward a future purchase.

We've found series 8 to be unexpectedly expensive (assuming that the older the series, the more expensive the set).
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 974
    To me, they are all getting expensive, even at retail. The lowest price I see now is $3.99, some Targets in California have them at $4.99. With the exception of the first two series, as the primary market takes a hit, I'd expect to see the secondary market drop way off, too.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874

Average Current Pricing for Series 1 on eBay in USA (Descending Order):

1) Zombie
    2) Nurse
    3) Circus Clown
    4) Robot
    5) Super Wrestler
    6) Tribal Hunter (Indian)
    7) Forestman (Robin Hood)
    8) Ninja
    9) Deep Sea Diver
    10) Spaceman
    11) Skateboarder
    12) Cowboy
    13) Demolition Dummy
    14) Magician
    15) Cheerleader
    16) Caveman

I actually would have thought the cheerleader and skateboarder would both be higher on the list, but both are included in the Lego calendar; hence, they are both easy to get. I would image sealed versions of either are higher though.

I'm not sure about the caveman...would have thought he would have been higher too, but the data is what the data is. Conversely, the deep sea diver used to be much lower, but appears to be moving up.

All for what it's worth...

Except for Mr. Gold of course. I know he doesn't count. I frankly wish he didn't exist.
    ^Mr. Gold is the reason Lego counterfeiters exist.