Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

MOC UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship (Aliens)

Here's my most recent project built out of spare parts. Most elements came from 1990s sets. Enjoy and tell me what you think.
MissingBrick

Comments

• crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    I am in the process of building the APC and colonial marines. Just have to find 2 brown heads and 4 hands for Apone, and Frost.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    Looks great, probably a tad small for minifig scale. Are the missile launchers "offset" front-to-back when they are retracted, or are they side-by-side? It's hard to tell from these pics (movie version is offset).

"Game over, man! Game over!" One of my favorite movies!
    They are offset so the high rocket pods can deploy just like the movie. Actually I was not really sure about that but I built it offset so they can be folded out if one were to play with it. It is built to be displayed and played with so everything is solid. Ya your right its about 75% of the size it should be for minifig scale. I built it based on 16 wide and 5 high. Should probably be about 20 wide and 7 to 8 high but its perfect for me........Remember how small the 1990s lego planes were to scale ;-).
    Heres my newest creation. The Alien Queen:
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Pretty impressive since you used spare parts! I'd love to see how your APC turns out.
    Right now I just have a prototype built out of mostly old Tyco elements from the 90's. Its built to the scale of the dropship and nothing special. I have some round flat 4x4 plates to cover the wheels on order. Heres 2 hurried pics of it:
    I will be building a more detailed version after the holidays. We are working on our winter village now ;->
    I ordered some different parts for the dropship from bricklink. Here's the modified version.
    MissingBrick
    Here are some more pics of some recent changes to this MOC.
    MissingBrick
    Here are pics of the mods to the swing out missile pods. Much closer to the prototype. Purists don't read the next sentence. If your wondering how I got the pod arms to stay up at an angle like this I used superglue on 2 black 4x4 plate swivels that hold the arms at the hinges.
    Lastly here is my MOC loader. Quick 20 min throw together.
    SuperTrampricecake
  • MissingBrickMissingBrick Member Posts: 24
    Nice dropship MOC. Like you say, the folding missile pods are a real problem at any scale. Still struggling with mine but haven't resorted to the superglue yet. Here's my front section:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11521638954/
    Ya I hear ya. Some say modifying parts is a big no no. However how would there ever be any new parts if lego workers never modified or rallied for the molding of new parts? The 2 parts I glued could easily be molded. Given that, if I worked for lego, got the go ahead to have the new elements molded, and had the set mass produced that would somehow be ok with collectors/hobbyists. That just don't make much sense to me. Also your pics and builds are awesome!!
    edited April 2014
    Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd post my finished Aliens dropship in here. Hope that's OK with you Crazycarl. She's 90 studs long, weighs about 2Kg and can take a fullsize Larry Lars APC in the cargo hold. More pics here https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

BrickDancerBanditrancorbaitJonn420
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @MissingBrick That is gorgeous! Would go well with my Michael Biene mosaic LOL
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    I know the queen is hiding out on that dropship somewhere.
    Missingbrick thats awesome. If I had the time and money I would love to do a full scale like that. Thats like what 10,000 elements?
    Thanks guys. It's more like 3000 elements - but needed alot of curved slopes for the engines and those were quite pricey. I'll post up some more pics when I get a chance.