Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Bricksetters, I need your help!!!

Hey, everyone! I'm reaching out to you today with a building question. I'm in the process of building my dream Batcave, and have hit the proverbial wall. I am wanting a functional suit chamber like seen in The Dark Knight Rises but am completely stumped as to how to make a rising/lifting platform like in the movie. Everything I try makes the chamber rise at an angle, and it needs to lift straight up/down. So, any ideas? Emotional support? At this point I'd take both. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    You can use the plate with rail (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4510) vertically, one on each side of the container part and 2 (with 1 plate in between) on each side of the underground part as the rail system.

Or you can probably use a combination of the 1x2 brick with groove (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4216) on the underground part and something like the 1x2 plate with bar (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4623) stacked with plates in between to make a vertical slide.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    How about basing it on the Town Hall elevator mechanism? With a little modification, that may get you the desired effect for a manual version of a lift.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    ^ You beat me to it, I was thinking the same. :-) You might have to scale it a bit to fit your needs , good luck @scarecrow2400. :-)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    edited November 2013
    The ideas above seem well suited for this, although I might use these parts: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3743 placed vertically with
    SNOT bricks of some kind. From there you could probably work a gear system into the model which would mean that the suit chamber could be raised and lowered using a lever hidden somewhere.

I would love to see the end result, good luck!
    rancorbait
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ And might I add that Power functions make everything better ;-)
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    edited November 2013
    I was impressed with the elevator mechanism in this set:
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=7633-1

Not familiar with how the platform looks in the film, but I really like how the platform in the above set works - really clever and easy to move, and I think it would be easy to modify the platform part to suit your design.
    klatu003
    Here's the platform, the tyres provide the friction to hold the platform in place - no pins or levers you need to push in to hold it in place. Simple!
    klatu003
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    ^what keeps the vertical black axles from swaying?
    ^ If you look at the link to the set in the post above the pic you'll see the tower has a top to it.
    ^ Yeah, I only wanted to show the lift mechanism. I just saw how the chambers lift up in the film, and you'd have to construct the platform to sit above the wheel mechanism so it can come up from the ground.
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    Doh! Got it. My wife's developing a sweet Friends condo MOC and this might fit the bill for her, too.
  • scarecrow2400scarecrow2400 USAMember Posts: 99
    These are all great ideas. Still stumped on this one, though. Everything I try ends up too tall and becomes exceedingly hard to hide the mechanisms.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Pictures?
    No pics as of yet. Built several things and took them back apart. Looks like this will have to wait until next days off. After looking at the lift system above it might be possible to use.
    ^ How much space are you working with? What is the stud dimensions of the top of the moving part when it is flush with the floor? How much space do you have on either side for the rail mechanism and how deep/tall is it?
    Currently working off of a standard 32x32 baseplate. Intending for the drop down to be less than 12 studs (in case I can't use some kind of mechanical device to stop the movement of the lift, if it falls it won't destroy itself. Figure the actual raised part that will enclose the drop lift is 16 wide and up to 32 studs long. I have lots of room horizontally, just not vertically.
    Have you tried building something on LDD? Could be a bit easier to change the design and work out the kinks.
  • Wolffe100Wolffe100 East Hickory, Pennsylvania, USAMember Posts: 1
    I am trying to work on an elevator as well. I have a 6x6 platform in a shaft that should fit like a glove. Almost two tight. Its pulled up by a winch, but I'm having trouble cause the elevator shaft is too tight and the lift itself is unstable. Need help.