Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

No Lego giftcard at Target this year?

starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,285
Has anyone notice there is no Lego gift cards this year?

Comments

• dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    No lego giftcards. This year is hex pups and pez dispensers.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited November 2013
    I'm pretty sure there wasn't one last year either.
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Aw, that's a shame. I was hoping they'd at least have console ones since those are coming soon and their Wii one was great.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    As much as we all hate to admit it, LEGO is not the be all end all. As a major corporation and brand in itself Target must diversify itself and marketing campaigns. Maybe another company pitched a better idea or perhaps this is just the annual roll over of ideas and new releases for them? I remember was it last year or the year before we had the LEGO gift card?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^The year before (2011) for the 3-in-1 Dog/Snowman/Polarbear. We didn't have them last year for 2012.
    Last year was a magnetic reindeer ball maze and a motorized follow-a-drawn-line car. In the spring they had a plastic model airplane. For xmas this year it's pez and hexbug (as already mentioned above).
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    mmmmm pez... huge fan... would love a TLG/PEZ collab
    Make your own, load up your favorite Pez with 1x2 tiles.

No, I have not tried it, but I'm curious now.
    nonex
  • OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    http://coupons.target.com/toys-coupons $5 off $29 purchase or more
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    I'm glad they don't have them this year. I'm not so desperate for a few free parts. It's always funny to see people trying to resell them. I'm not sure if Target really has that kind of branding following.
    edited November 2013
    Hey @Observer, could you please stop bringing up the anti-reseller sentiment in multiple threads like you have been doing lately? It's been debated elsewhere, and most from both camps have agreed to disagree and basically keep their distance. If you honestly don't want resellers "infecting" threads with talk of reselling, you might consider not sniping at them from the very same threads.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I can't imagine that it made a lot of financial sense for Taget to offer those gift cards. Probably 90%+ were activated for $5, immediately redeeemed, and never again used.

Target can't possibly make enough profit on $5 in merchandise to cover the cost of that particular gift card.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Since 2009, Target has averaged a profit margin of 3.8335% each quarter. Even if you round up, that's $0.20 profit on a $5 GC. So not even close to making a profit if they had to pay even a shiney quarter for one of the Lego 3-in-1 packs.

http://ycharts.com/companies/TGT/profit_margin
    I bet a far greater number of the "toyish" gift cards were purchased as gifts, and then they are in the wild, which means they either brought people back into the store to spend more money, or they were lost or never redeemed.

It's quite simple really. If Target was not making some kind of gain on these unique gift cards, they wouldn't be doing them.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I agree that a ton of the toyish ones are probably never redeemed. I was speaking specifically to the LEGO ones where I know AFOLs went nuts buying 20-30 at a time, putting $5 on each one, and using them right away.
    ^Right, that's possible, but I think those 20-30 card situations were very rare. I'm sure someone would step in and limit them. Plus, Target only puts a few out on the rack at any time. That's not to say a persistent person can't demand a worker go grab the box from the back and demand to do em all, but again, I think that's very rare.
    They could've always increased the minimum - required people to put on $10 or $20 instead or made it a few per customer. Their custom gift cards seemed to be a big hit and it was definitely getting people into the stores.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^The gift cards were getting people into the store? What do you base that on? I shop at Target several times/week, between household items and food etc., not to mention checking for clearance Lego, and I admit I did pick up several of the Lego Gift cards when they came out, but that certainly wasn't what drew me into the store. But I'll tell you what did. The Series 10 CMFs. I was in one Target or another every day searching for that little bugger!
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^P.S. By little bugger, I mean Mr. Gold of course.
    Well, you're posting in a thread asking if they exist this year where people have mentioned that numerous others would buy 10+ of them, it shows a demand that was getting people there. It's not a controversial statement to say people here go out of their way for limited LEGO items, haha.

Target's gimmick gift cards are actually known for that - their Wii one years ago was super popular and had people going to the store specifically to grab them as well.