With Christmas fast approaching, I thought that now might be a good time to present an event being hosted here on the forum, the first ever Brickset Secret Santa!
Just in case anybody is not sure exactly what a Secret Santa is, here is a quick definition:A system whereby each participant is randomly assigned another participant for whom to buy a Christmas present at an agreed cost, so that each member buys one present and receives one present.The rules of the Brickset Secret Santa are as follows:
- The guide price for the cost of a gift is £15 or $20 (USD and CAD).
- Wish lists are welcome, so please send that with your initial message if you would like to include one, or simply make your Brickset 'wanted list' public.
- Please ensure that your gift is sent in time for Christmas, final posting dates for each country are available online.To be a part of it is very simple:
- Sign up to be included by sending a PM with your username and mailing address to the organiser in your country.
- Your Brickset ID will then be entered into a draw.
- On the 26th of November names will be drawn.
- Within a day or two of the draw, everyone who entered will be PMed with the name and address of the person they have been assigned to buy a gift for.
- Purchase a gift, adhering to the cost guidelines.
- Send the gift, keeping in mind that it should arrive in time for Christmas.
- If all goes according to plan, everybody will receive their gift before Christmas!The closing date for signing up to the Brickset Secret Santa 2013 is the 25th of November at 23:59 GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
For the sake of simplicity, it is probably best to keep each Secret Santa within the same country. So far, the event is taking place in the US (where @rocao
is the contact), Canada (where @rancorbait
is the contact) and the UK (where I am the contact). If anybody else wishes to sign up in another country, feel free to message either @rocao
or I, and hopefully we can get you in contact with some other people from close to you, or include you in the event of another country.So, if you would like to be a part of the 2013 Brickset Secret Santa contact:US - @rocaoCanada - @rancorbaitUK - @CapnRex101
If anybody has any problems, please contact us.
Thanks for reading!
@rancorbait can you please pm me on an un related topic please :-)
Whoever has to buy for me is gonna have a hard job though ;-)
a) Do we reveal who "Santa" was at the end? Or does it/can it remain a Secret?
b) Do we open our gifts on Christmas or earlier?
Again, whichever you want, if you want open it as soon as you receive it, go ahead, and if you feel like waiting till Christmas, you can wait.
@oceanangel - You can create a want list on the main Brickset site which can be accessed via your profile, alternatively, send a short list to your contact and it will be forwarded to whoever is sending your gift.
Can you add me to the list please, I'm having the same PM problem as @SirKevbags. If you drop me PM I'll get back with my details unless you still have them from previous trades. :-)
I want to join this fine endeavor, but my concern is that my recipient will want something HTF. Then what do I do? My resources for LEGO are the same as most other people. Given the short time frame to work with, it doesn't really leave much time to hunt things down if need be. I don't want to disappoint my recipient and send them something they could have got themselves at the corner store (unless that's what they asked for), and I don't want to come up empty handed and not be able to find something for someone.
Am I being too anal about this? Should I just go with it and not be so concerned. I know it's up to me, but curious to hear what others feel or think about this.
@Legogeek - It is just intended to be fun, go on, jump in! :-)
That said, I'm in and will send @rocao a pm later today.
BGG has a "Santa" user through which we login to "taunt" our "targets." :)
I have a few CMF Parachute and Mechanic minifigures. I could chrome them for you out back... would that suffice?
Again, my recipient best like minifigs!
Personally, I prefer the element of surprise in what I might get as opposed to listing out exactly what I want.
Whether it a set, figure, or poly, it's all LEGO and all good fun! :o)
On a side note, absolutely love the avatar. While Peanuts will always be my favorite, Calvin and Hobbes is one of the greats.