Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Exclusive VIP Offers -- November 23rd (online)

Comments

• thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 388
    ^ wait, that changed too?
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Did I miss the sale? Discounts are not showing up for me
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^Go to the site via your email notification or make sure you sign in using your VIP info.
    ^Yea, the Christmas set wasn't showing up because I wasn't signed in, thanks.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    How do I maximize savings? lol It took a while, but I finally made the decision to purchase the PS.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    ^Probably current 3x VIP points with Xmas set. Yesterday there was the Creator Highway Pickup Set free at TRU but PS appears to be sold out and the free set no longer adds automatically so it might also be gone.
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    Want to order the #10229 Winter Village Cottage but seems the Xmas set are gone! and the customer Service are closed! probably will be on the Road next Friday. see if I can get that set somewhere
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited November 2013
    ^I think the Xmas set will be available again for a few days starting at TLG's official BF sale later this week. You will still have to purchase $99+ to get the set though.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    There was a card we received at the VIP event which states:

"Brick" Friday Weekend Offers
    November 29-December 2
    * Free Shipping on ALL orders, only at shop.lego.com
    * Spend $99, get a FREE Limited Edition 2013 LEGO Holiday Set
    * Spend $149, get a $10 LEGO Gift Card, only at shop.LEGO.com
    Plus, shop early at the LEGO Store on November 29 for a chance to win exciting gifts, including a $1000 LEGO STORE SHOPPING SPREE!

FWIW, in the fine print it does say 'Merchandise totals calculated after VIP Point redemption...'. I think there was some question about this earlier. It also says the 'Promotional Gift Card is only redeemable for one-time use from 12/3/2013 through 12/31/2013 at LEGO Stores and shop.lego.com." Finally, it sounds like the LEGO Stores at Disney properties won't have the pull tab chances for the shopping spree.

No mention of triple VIP points. But it could still happen unannounced.
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    That sounds underwhelming for a Black Friday event. :/
    Hmm, that is weird. The Winter Village set is available now. There may have been a problem with the WV sets though, I ordered two Cottages and one was canceled, so either they were canceling duplicate orders or they thought they had limited numbers of VW sets.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    dr_teng said:

That sounds underwhelming for a Black Friday event. :/

Yes, it is rather anti climactic...

Walmart is going all out, some of the deals they have are indeed deals. A 60" 1080P LED TV 120hz for $698? That is a smoking price. An HP laptop for $178? No, it isn't super powerful, but it is good enough and better than a lot of tablets, comes with Windows, for less than the cost of a Kindle Fire HDX.

Nuts...

Come on LEGO, real deals, surprise us, 50% off something fun...
    margot
    Yea, an actual sale would be nice so I could use up my VIP points.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    sidersdd said:

I will be gutted if 3x VIP was a one day thing. I held off on a few orders hoping to pair them with the GC, and only ordered what I feared might go OOS.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357

sidersdd said:

I will be gutted if 3x VIP was a one day thing. I held off on a few orders hoping to pair them with the GC, and only ordered what I feared might go OOS.
    3x VIP was for yesterday only. Asked the manager at my local Lego store. There will be sets discounted as well for Brick Friday, but she didn't say which ones.

Also, this time around I will keep my receipt, but with the sets I ordered I plan on building these :)
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Just got an email that my Technic Crane order has shipped. :-)
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I don't know is 10% off worth going to the mall on Black Friday, I don't think so.
    cloaked7 said:

:). I ordered one of those too... Hard to find at a discount because it is Technic, triple VIP, holiday set,etc.

Looking forward to building that one...

I don't know is 10% off worth going to the mall on Black Friday, I don't think so.

No, it is not, the mall is insane on Black Friday.

Last year, between the 20% off scratcher, the stuff on sale for 20% off, the holiday sets, the PAB boxes, I spent over $8K, plus I stayed and worked for two hours because they were completely swamped.

This year? I'm not even going, I guess TLG doesn't need the business. Shame, because I really like my local store, great manager and friendly staff.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,351
    edited November 2013

Walmart is going all out, some of the deals they have are indeed deals. A 60" 1080P LED TV 120hz for $698? That is a smoking price. An HP laptop for $178? No, it isn't super powerful, but it is good enough and better than a lot of tablets, comes with Windows, for less than the cost of a Kindle Fire HDX.

Nuts...

Come on LEGO, real deals, surprise us, 50% off something fun...

Its all relative. Who cares if the 60"LCD TV is only 698 if it is a crappy off brand that will likely malfunction 30 days after bought? That also speaks volumes about the people that are fighting for off brand TVs because they saw a big red sale tag.
    I think Target has some LED 32 inch for only 300 or something, but it is some off brand that will likely break about 2 months after it is bought.
    Or a bunch of people trying to trample others for 10% off of something (which will likely occur again around, or after, Christmas.)

Yes, those are the types of people you are fighting through for the few good deals out there.
    Against better judgment I'm going to try to get to TRU at 5am for the Doorbuster of the TS, but only for the TS, the good price, and the fact they are limiting them to 1 per person, so I may have a chance to get one. But I know I'm also going to have to navigate through an ocean of goofs trying to save 5 dollars on some other toy that will likely be on sale again for Christmas for the same are near price.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    My PS is in the 'customer service' status. Should I be worried? I haven't bought anything from [email protected] in many years.
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    Apparently the Constitution Train Chase was on discount. Was it any less than £58? That's what I got mine for from Amazon a few days ago, was a bit worried that I missed out on saving a bit more.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Wil348 said:

Apparently the Constitution Train Chase was on discount. Was it any less than £58? That's what I got mine for from Amazon a few days ago, was a bit worried that I missed out on saving a bit more.

Might be wrong but think it was £64.

• luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^ it was. If you were buying something else and got your order over £100 then that'd be worth another 10% off, plus the VIP points... Not much in it all in all.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    luckyruss said:

^ it was. If you were buying something else and got your order over £100 then that'd be worth another 10% off, plus the VIP points... Not much in it all in all.

Not in money, but I'd rather have had a free Holiday Box 2 and a PAB box thrown in for similar money. I'd say LEGO was a better deal on this occasion. Not often I can say that. :-)

Its all relative. Who cares if the 60"LCD TV is only 698 if it is a crappy off brand that will likely malfunction 30 days after bought?

Yes, that TV is a Vizio, so it is an off brand, but that price is also 30% cheaper than I've ever seen. It is also a smart TV with all the apps built in, so it is not some old dumb model from last year they are just dumping.

Walmart does have a 32" HDTV as well... For $98! That kicks the snot out of Target's deal, even if Target's TV is better.

How about a 46" Samsung 1080P 120hz LED for $497? That is a name brand for a very low price.

Anyway, my point is that TLG should be doing real sales, not this 10% crap and holiday set stuff. They did 50% off on B-Wing for May 4th but can't do it for Black Friday?
  • Chang405Chang405 Member Posts: 81
    Speaking of TVs, Amazon has a Samsung 65 inch one for under $1000.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,351
    edited November 2013

Its all relative. Who cares if the 60"LCD TV is only 698 if it is a crappy off brand that will likely malfunction 30 days after bought?

Yes, that TV is a Vizio, so it is an off brand, but that price is also 30% cheaper than I've ever seen. It is also a smart TV with all the apps built in, so it is not some old dumb model from last year they are just dumping.

Walmart does have a 32" HDTV as well... For $98! That kicks the snot out of Target's deal, even if Target's TV is better.

How about a 46" Samsung 1080P 120hz LED for $497? That is a name brand for a very low price.

Anyway, my point is that TLG should be doing real sales, not this 10% crap and holiday set stuff. They did 50% off on B-Wing for May 4th but can't do it for Black Friday?
    Most of the time it is a item dump or a cheapo item to get people into the store. That 46 inch Samsung for 497? OK, but if you notice that is on sale NOW for that price, not just on BF.
    Again you see VERY little on sale on literal BF that is of much substance. It is mostly old stuff they want to clear out, off brands that are terrible, OR it is a great item, but they have only two of that great item and sell them out in 2 seconds (which also causes the stampede mentality). It was the same when I was working retail many moons ago, and it has not changed over time.

As for LEGO, well I agree it would be nuts for them to not have something to entice people to go and shop there. 10% off sounds a bit snobbish in my opinion which makes it sound like their thought process is 'well since we sell so well anyway, who cares if we do not get that many people to buy on BF?'
    But then again, what do you really expect TRU to put on massive discount? Most of the sets people want are exclusives, which they cannot discount.
    Although I think 3x VIP points would generate a lot of buying again (They had to have done well on Saturday, I mean the site went down).

In any case I can wait until after Christmas when the real sale for LEGO begins to clear out old product.
  • flecskiflecski Member Posts: 76

Yes, that TV is a Vizio
    Snip
    Walmart does have a 32" HDTV as well
    Snip
    How about a 46" Samsung 1080P
    Snip

Another big snip

In any case I can wait until after Christmas when the real sale for LEGO begins to clear out old product.
    I dont think we can compare Lego to Electronics sales.
    People buy electronics for now. You cant pick up 20 cheap tvs in a sale, hang onto them in storage for a year, then sell them on for a profit. There will be better models out by then.
    Lego must know they dont need to discount many sets, just the ones that are clearly overpriced to start with or over supplied (not wanted).
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Hate to say Vizio really not a off brand if they are not first they are second in tv sales. I will say most of the tvs on sale are off brands, and not that I am going to buy a Vizio, but it is a name brand.
    twoninerken
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited November 2013

I agree 100%. Lego retail has not seen a penny of my money this season because of their no discounting policy. Honestly, 3x VIP is not enough to entice me. Instead I've picked up a few misc. sets from Target and TRU because they were heavily discounted. This may have been the year that I splurged on the Death Star if it would have been on sale.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    A lot of the televisions you see for sale on BF are limited runs produced only for the holiday sale season - sometimes even for a specific retailer. That becomes more evident when you start researching the model numbers for reviews or what not. That doesn't necessarily make them a bad product, but they are usually scaled back in one way or another (limited ports, last years's tech, and so on).

I usually don't participate in the BF craziness b/c i have typically found that savvy shopping can net you close to the same deals year round. Case in point: Meijer is having a BF bogo on a lot of their Lego sets. I started comparing that deal against what I can do on Amazon currently for the remaining LotR and Hobbit sets I want. In every case, regardless of the pairing, Amazon was the better deal and that deal can be had right now and from the comfort of my own home. Why would I want to get up at 4 AM and surf through a crazy mob to pay... more? I'll pass.
    madforLEGO

Again you see VERY little on sale on literal BF that is of much substance. It is mostly old stuff they want to clear out, off brands that are terrible, OR it is a great item, but they have only two of that great item and sell them out in 2 seconds (which also causes the stampede mentality). It was the same when I was working retail many moons ago, and it has not changed over time.

Actually, I'll step up and give Walmart credit here...

Not only are they not doing the "limted to 20 per store" nonsense, they have improved it in two ways:

1. They are making the Black Friday offers online this year, first year they have done that, so you don't have to stomp in the stores to get the deals.

2. They are making a 1 hour guarantee. If you are in line for the 1 hour the deal is on (for that 60" TV I think it is 6pm to 7pm), you will get the item at that price. If the store runs out, you'll get a rain check and be guaranteed to get that item before Christmas.

That is a huge improvement over years past when people would stand in line for hours, only to find out the store only had 2 or 20 of something with 200 people in line.

I'm willing to give credit where credit is due.

-------------

Why not have TLG shock the heck out of us on BF? 50% off DS & SSD, limit 1 per customer.

That would get everyone talking and it would for sure get me into the store on black friday, even if I can only take 1 of each home.
    madforLEGO
    CircleK said:

A lot of the televisions you see for sale on BF are limited runs produced only for the holiday sale season -

Actually, for Walmart, it usually goes further than that. Most of what Walmart sells in electronics is "custom", the part numbers aren't sold by anyone else, protects them from price matching and lets them sell a slightly degraded version for slightly less to be "the cheapest".

Frankly, that 60" TV is not junk, it is 120hz, LED backlight, smart with Amazon Video, Netflix, Hulu and a bunch of other apps built in. It isn't top of the line, but for what it is, it is a darn good price.

Does it have 4 HDMI ports? Maybe not, maybe it has only 2 or 3. Maybe it lacks composite and optical inputs, but I doubt the average TV buyer actually cares.

---------

Anyway, back to TLG... how about something nice, like 20% off all exclusives, just for black friday? Would that get any of you into the store that day?
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    I heard from the store manager that TLG has explicitly excluded "exclusives" from being discounted even when the box is damaged. Previously you could get a discount upto 30% (earlier I had seen 50%), then it dropped to a maximum of 10% and now no such luck for exclusives.
  • midwestguymidwestguy Member Posts: 41
    I don't understand this demand that TLG has to have some kind of amazing sale for BF. They don't seem to need it, as they've got plenty of customers cycling through the holiday season. As for us AFOLs, aren't the best deals of the season usually the day after Christmas?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Vizio is an off-brand? I realize they are relatively new, but if I'm not mistaken, they sell more TVs in North America than anyone else, and their reliability is not much different than most others.

Not that I'm a fanatic, I prefer Aquos' myself.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    cloaked7 said:

Just curious, were you expecting it not to be shipped?
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @sram I overheard our store manager tell a customer they have been told by corporate to return damaged boxes to the company if they are too damaged to be sold at full price. The box in question appeared to have been dropped on it's corner so one would not want to resell it, but not sure a child would make a big deal about itt if received as a gift.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    (In reference to several of the above comments.)

This has been said and said... Time will tell, but I think LEGO's no discount policy will end up biting them in the butt. I think they picked the wrong time to make that call. (not sure if there is a good time) The U.S. economy is slow, 7 less days between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year compared to last year, and most stores (especially Walmart) are going all out to get your business this Christmas season. Also, people are looking for, and expecting, bargains. If a store doesn't have bargains they will be skipped over. Just too much competition. Walmart really gets it. So what if they sell some items at a loss? What they gain is customer appreciation, and a lot of positive buzz. If Walmart gets you into their store you will probably buy more items in their store, and most likely shop there again and again. The last thing any retailer needs to happen is to lose customers. There are just so many retailers out for your business. If they don't move inventory now they will be stuck with it in Jan and Feb and beyond. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,065
    IMO TLG did themselves well by giving the VIP's a "bite" of something special this past weekend with the opportunity to get 2 of 2 Xmas set PLUS triple VIP points. But it could have been improved by having it last the weekend; i think you increase your sales drastically and really set the holiday spending season up right.

I question though how this will compare to sales Brick Friday, for some, who already got the 2 of 2 Xmas set may and may not find the $10.00 gift card appealing. What if you bought a $200 set and received 600 VIP points Saturday? Thats triple the value of the gift card, so for some, me included, I may not find anything else appealing.

I think, and I have read comments in this forum and others similar, that TLG really needs to understand the value of discounting sets, good sets, that LOTS and LOTS of people want. They also need to pre-release sets like Parisian Restaurant and the new Maersk so those who want it under the tree, or menorah, can do so.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    20% off exclusives with the holiday set, normal VIP points and Discover Card cashback would get my attention this Black Friday. If I were trying to place a significant number of transactions, I would be somewhat concerned about the holiday sets being cancelled from my orders.

Toysrus giving away the Highway Pickup set, 10% off coupon(directly from customer service from a gift card issue) and Discover Card cashback was more than enough motivation for me to buy a Palace Cinema last week.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    How many people in here who bought online this saturday still show their orders as "Customer Service'?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^Did you buy a "big" set? My smaller sets have shipped while the larger ones are in Customer Service, regardless of the sequence in which the orders were placed. Around 2 days processing time is normal.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,065
    Mine still show Customer Service. I placed two orders; I agree, I think a couple of days before it shows shipped, probably by tomorrow it should.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    If your order is $100 or over then it will sit in customer service for a few business days as they will manually review it for discrepencies in payment information and to review your purchasing patterns for ban determination.

Vizio is an off-brand? I realize they are relatively new, but if I'm not mistaken, they sell more TVs in North America than anyone else, and their reliability is not much different than most others.

Not that I'm a fanatic, I prefer Aquos' myself.
    Visio indeed does sell more TVs than anyone else, or so I've read.

I consider it an off brand because they are new and don't have the service that a Samsung or Sony would have, but that doesn't make them bad TVs. I know several people who bought them, no complaints that I've heard.

I prefer Sony myself, there is something special when you have all Sony gear, the TV talks to the PS3, etc. it all just works better.

You used to pay a premium for that, today, not as much.

I don't understand this demand that TLG has to have some kind of amazing sale for BF. They don't seem to need it, as they've got plenty of customers cycling through the holiday season. As for us AFOLs, aren't the best deals of the season usually the day after Christmas?

It isn't meant to be a "demand", rather a point that if you want to complete on Black Friday, the deals being offered don't really stack up to what everyone else is doing.

TLG seems to operate in a bubble, they behave like the rules of retail don't apply to them. Maybe they don't, time will tell. Now it isn't the same thing, but look what happened when JC Penny said, "ok, no more coupons and sales, just low everyday prices"

It works for Walmart, but it took a long time to get there. JC Penny tried to do it overnight. Customers revolted.

Will TLG customers revolt? I don't know, just because we get huffy here doesn't mean much, we are also in a bubble, will Jane and Joe Consumer care? Time will tell.

If your order is $100 or over then it will sit in customer service for a few business days as they will manually review it for discrepencies in payment information and to review your purchasing patterns for ban determination.

What a way to run your business... Treat all your customers as criminals and vagrants...
    madforLEGO
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    No love for the 60" Sharp Aquos that was on sale at Target yesterday for $664?

Vizio makes fine tv's. They use LG panels for LCD and Panasonic for plasma. No frills and low cost / good reliability. Nice to see a US company stomping Sony.
    Dougout