Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Inside Tour 2014

Comments

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548

I figured cameras were not allowed in a lot of it. I'll be sure to shoot what I can though.

Guns aren't allowed either. :oP
    Lego91bobabricks
  • CheekaCheeka UKMember Posts: 236

I just bought my plane tickets!

On that note, I'm also happy to take questions with me if anybody has any.

Let's say my friends call me 'Cheeky', my husband is known as 'A' and our family name is Question. That would make us a couple of Questions, right - so can we come along? :P

( *scampers off to the local registry office to apply for a name change* )
    margot
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,444
    I'm going to win a tour...

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/UniqueExperience (for VIPs that are signed in).

(Note - Odds of winning: approximately 1:450,000.)
  • markarm919markarm919 USAMember Posts: 60
    CCC said:

I'm going to win a tour...

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/UniqueExperience (for VIPs that are signed in).

(Note - Odds of winning: approximately 1:450,000.)

Good luck!
    PS. All other VIPs should have automatically been entered.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,749
    edited March 2014
    legomatt said:

I figured cameras were not allowed in a lot of it. I'll be sure to shoot what I can though.

Guns aren't allowed either. :oP
    Although blasters are. ;-)
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Have just noticed that I got VIP points for the Inside Tour purchase. I never expected that. Nice.
    LostInTranslationSirKevbagsGoldJonoMorkMan
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 949
    leemcg said:

Have just noticed that I got VIP points for the Inside Tour purchase. I never expected that. Nice.

That's pretty cool. For the price of the Inside Tour purchase, Lego should of given double points.

• GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 215
    edited April 2014
    I also received VIP points for this years inside tour, which was a very pleasant surprise given that I didn't give them my VIP details when making my payment. This is a really positive change from last year when VIP point weren't given, the explanation being that VIP points can only be earned on Lego products and not on lego services. @leemcg unfortunately they can't be spent in the staff store.
    Shame they can't be used in the staff shop as I've been severely limiting my purchases this year planning on a big splurge on the Tour.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    How does this year's price compare to last years? Has it gone up at all?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,414
    edited April 2014
    GoldJono said:

I also received VIP points for this years inside tour, which was a very pleasant surprise given that I didn't give them my VIP details when making my payment. This is a really positive change from last year when VIP point weren't given, the explanation being that VIP points can only be earned on Lego products and not on lego services. @leemcg unfortunately they can't be spent in the staff store.

You going again, Jonathan ?! Now THAT'S dedication !

Wish we'd got VIP points last year - that's a decent number of points.....
    ^ Yeah! There was far too much to take in, the first time round. I would also like to find out information about starting a LUG in Scotland, as most UK events / meetings are too far away to sensibly attend without considerable travel and accommodation costs.
  • RonnyRonny USAMember Posts: 86
    I just noticed the VIP points as well! Nice surprise, and I'm very happy with it!
    I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but the math junkie in me is totally wondering how they decided on the points to deposit.

In my case, they added 1,300 points, which looks like I spent $1,300 - and as you all know, that's clearly not the case. Just wondering if someone has a theory for why that specific sum was deposited. Interesting that it strikes a close resemblance to the price in Danish currency: 13,000 DKK.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    VIP points aren't converted from the local currency, so for example a $100 purchase in the US could be used to get £5 off a purchase in the UK. It's one point per 10 DKK so it looks like that's what they charged you in?
  • RonnyRonny USAMember Posts: 86
    Yeah...I think you're right Matthew. I'm grateful and happy with what I got :)
    edited May 2014
    For those on this weeks tour, when will you be arriving? I will be on the KLM flight arriving in Billund at 10:30 tomorrow morning. It would be nice to meet up with fellow bricksetters prior to the official start of the tour.
    Getting excited now. At the airport, so it all feels a bit more real.

Is anybody interested in a few posts to this thread about how the trip is going? Not about to start a blog or anything like that. And no spoilers (the secret set seems to have remained a secret this year). May all change depending on the contents of the NDA we have to sign on our arrival.

I'll send you a direct mail @GoldJono.

Lee
    JessyDooDah
    leemcg said:

Is anybody interested in a few posts to this thread about how the trip is going?

Lee

Yes, of course.
    Have checked into my hotel room. Couple of things of note - hotel is much closer to the park than at LLW and the bucket of pieces in your room is better - mine has the LBG rigging from the Millennium Falcon. It's used, obviously, not new. But I presume some kind of test to see who steals lego pieces from the box.

tour itself doesn't start until tomorrow - almost exactly 24 hours after I arrived here. Will not be telling my wife that.

Now off for a wonder, maybe to find some other bricksetters.
    CCCYellowcastle
    Lovely ladies just turned up with further welcome goodies - sweets shaped like Lego, a Lego tulip and a big Lego bag.

Haven't yet signed confidentiality forms (which basically say you'll keep secret things secret), so I'm free to speak - unfortunately I don't have any info yet! This year we also have to sign video release forms, it seems, as they are filming the tour because it's the 10th anniversary. Not sure how I feel about that at all :-)
    CCC
    They have Benny's Spaceship in the shop here. No sign of Sand Crawler though.

Plenty of Fire Brigades, Tower Bridges and B-Wings (at full price) but no Parisien Restaurants.

Oh, and my tulip is actually a rose.
  • shawn_lowshawn_low Member Posts: 27
    Can't wait to see this year's exclusive sets! Keep those updates coming.
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Thabks for the updates! I am living vicariously through this thread!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    These updates are fun! Enjoy your time in Billund! Thanks for doing this
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Awesome!! hopefully you can post from your phone too! Sorta live updates!!! of the stuff you can talk about of course. :)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    edited May 2014
    Keep 'em coming, Lee...

Don't buy anything in the LL shop until you've seen what's available in the staff shop. Tat, if you're into it, is usually 1/4 the price in there
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    leemcg said:

- mine has the LBG rigging from the Millennium Falcon. It's used, obviously, not new. But I presume some kind of test to see who steals lego pieces from the box.

Ouch - how that hurts to know you're staring at two of the pieces I need for my bricklinked UCS MF. I'd be banging on the doors of reception begging to buy them! [Frantically waves fivers at @leemcg] ;-)

Looking forward to the tour updates on this thread.

edited May 2014
    leemcg said:

Have checked into my hotel room. Couple of things of note - hotel is much closer to the park than at LLW and the bucket of pieces in your room is better - mine has the LBG rigging from the Millennium Falcon. It's used, obviously, not new. But I presume some kind of test to see who steals lego pieces from the box.

:-)

The hotel literally overlooks LEGOLAND - below you can see the view from my room on the Inside Tour last year.

Your posts are bringing back lots of pleasant memories - looking forward to more !

D.
    That saves me posting a photo from my room. I might be in the same room as you Dave, or maybe one further down!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,294
    Really wish I could afford to go on one of these, think I might have to start a savings jar for it and hope that in a couple of years I'll have enough...

I wonder if I can convince the OH that would be a good honeymoon idea for next year....probably not, never mind.

@drdavewatford‌ That is probably my favourite hotel room view photo I've ever seen.
    @iso3200 the piece of LBG rigging looks a bit battered to be honest. There's only one of them too.
    Shib said:

@drdavewatford‌ That is probably my favourite hotel room view photo I've ever seen.

Too right - who needs a view of the Eiffel Tower or Grand Canyon when you can have Star Wars Miniland ?

D.
    Andor
    One of these days! Thanks so much for posting everyone! Tomorrow should be super exciting!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,294

Too right - who needs a view of the Eiffel Tower or Grand Canyon when you can have Star Wars Miniland ?

D.

I'd phrase it as having a view of Hoth and Tatooine at the same time :-P
    Good to catch up with @GoldJono‌ yesterday - and some great Lego (and real-life house) chat.

Today we will be having an intro with Mads Nipper, then a trip to the LEGO Idea House, meet the designers and a building challenge. Looks like a full day.

MorkMan
    sounds awesome! Where are the live updates? :) Enjoy!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    They'll be too busy to mess about posting updates :-)
    Huw said:

They'll be too busy to mess about posting updates :-)

You beat me to it - I'm sure Lee has much better things to do right now !
    As they should be! :) I was being facetious. ;)
    Just finished for the day! Have left about 10 people still building. It's midnight here.

Today we got to meet Lego's CEO, "JV", visited the museum and vault, and met lots of designers. We heard about how the Lego movie process worked and saw some prototype models that got dropped from the film edit (no can't talk about them). We also got a talk from an element designer. Then we have had a building contest.

Got a reveal of a new Star Wars set. Unfortunately it's one everyone already knows about.

A very long day, sure I missed something. Oh yes, we have Inside Tour branded water.

JessyDooDah
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    @leemcg - But long for all the right reasons I am sure!
    Today in numbers:

10173: steps walked around factories and offices, and Into Billund to buy Lego house set.
    96000: DKK spent in LEGO store by Inside Tour Attendees in about an hour. (About £10,000)
    1: Very interesting talk on the new ball joint element by the element designer
    4: new free gifts today so far.
    2: hours free time before programme kicks off again with dinner.

Lee
    leemcg said:

Today in numbers:

10173: steps walked around factories and offices, and Into Billund to buy Lego house set.

Do you win a Holiday Train for that? If only you had walked six more steps!
    YellowcastleBumblepants
    Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, CEO/Chief Executive Officer and president of the lego group has also very kindly signed the lego house set, I'm hoping this helps this years fairy bricks raffle raise loads of money for such brilliant cause. An extremely big thank you to Sanne Dollerup Lange for helping to make it happen. Starting to feel exhausted, another really amazing day on the tour.
    SirKevbagsLostInTranslationsidersddStormKitty
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 146
    ha ha this thread is Brillant.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    CCC said:

leemcg said:

Today in numbers:

Do you win a Holiday Train for that? If only you had walked six more steps!
    Ha! My first thought too! "Six more steps..."
    I sure hope y'all took lots of photos! :)
    Late night building seemed to be worthwhile as I came 6th and @GoldJono came 10th in the building competition. The guy who won is only a teenager, amazing model!

Time for some sleep and more tomorrow.
    GoldJonoAndor