Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The LEGO Movie Collectible Minifigures (CMF)

Comments

• ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

The CMFs ended with Series 11 AFAIC, I won't be collecting too many of these (although I usually reserve judgement until actual photos are released). This is a series for parts rather than figures.

Honest matter of opinion. TBH, I saw the series high point at #4. Series 6, 7, and 8 were ok but just below series 4 in my book. It's gone downhill since then.

Major downswing was the series 10 figures and 11 is just no. I bought 2 series 11 but it was from more of a "I want at least 1 figure of each series" thing.

Series 12 might be one random pack to say "I have one from each series", MAYBE 2 if i have hobby money burning a hole in my pocket but that'd be it.

I'd rather put the money towards my lego building area project(down to only needing to decide on one thing then start saving up the money for it) and a BL order to get a few things(going to start looking into deciding what i really want to order and do the order in a few days).
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    Im digging the 2 pearl silver arms on Calamity Drone.... And im hoping thats a koonskin hat on the other drone.
    sidersdd
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    This series just isn't doing much for me. Sign me up for Abe, Panda, Shakespeare, and the Barista. That's it. I'm getting off cheap this series.
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    You few above are lucky. Ever since I decided to start displaying CMF's at S7 I've had to collect them all, and then compulsively grab some for accessories
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    It's the first series I've wanted them all!
    margot
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312

The CMFs ended with Series 11 AFAIC, I won't be collecting too many of these (although I usually reserve judgement until actual photos are released). This is a series for parts rather than figures.

Has it actually been confirmed that this is series 12 yet - has the packaging been seen?

If they are S12 I can understand why they've done it, but I think they will have all but killed off the collect them all effect by using movie tie ins rather than more random generic figures.

To me, marketting these as The Lego Movie series 1 makes more sense than CMF series 12.

For me too, these are for parts rather than for characters but that has been true forthe past few cmf series too.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    I agree with that @CCC. My interest in the theme has been on a downward trajectory since Series 8, but this will be the final nail in the coffin of my completist compulsions. If this is Series 12, it really ruins the premise of the whole line (despite the variety among the minifigs).

It's probably a healthier place to be, though; maybe now I'll stick to getting minifigs that I actually have an interest in, rather than picking up duds for the sake of completion. I really like Abe Lincoln and Shakespeare in this series, those will probably be my only purchases.
    yys4u
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I think most people are getting to a point where they need a reason or push to stop collecting these things, because honestly, it's a kind of addiction.

Whatever it takes for you to shake off your CMF demons, more power to you.
    red5
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,410
    Lots of nice hairpieces and accessories, but apart from Shakespeare, and that Goth girl in the centre, none of the other minifigs do much for me.

If the availability in my country is going to be as crappy as is the case with series 11, I might just quit collecting this series or maybe even any future series from the CMF theme all together!

As a castle/medieval/pirate/fantasy/SiFi Lego fan, this series is really underwhelming.

I am looking forward to the Lego Movie, but I don't see much use for these minifigs , or any of the other Lego Movie sets, as a welcome new addition to my personal Lego collection.

If this Lego Movie Lego theme does not grow on me, I guess that, apart from The Hobbit, and hopefully more LOTR sets, and maybe the Parisian Restaurant, 2014 is going to be a quiet Lego year for me.

Which will be good for my wallet.
    yys4u
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 158
    Cat scratch woman is going to make a terrific proffessor Trelawney custom for my Harry Potter collection.
    tamamahm
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 550
    CCC said:

Has it actually been confirmed that this is series 12 yet - has the packaging been seen?

Let's ask the person who created this thread.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,544
    Hey! I took the news from BrickFanatics (and credited them), who have reported it as being the 'Official LEGO CMF Series 12 Image'.
    LostInTranslation
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,346
    I like it..it still fits the variety of characters in the regular CMF series and yet it ties in to the movie. Also is the only way to get President business? I know he is in one set as Lord business but it does not look like he has that interesting hair piece. This might also be the only place to get the construction hat with hair. I'm liking what I have seen of the movie so who knows I may want all of them. However Lincoln and Shakespeare are a must as they fit with my history timeline at school and the Panda is one my wife will love. Others will probably grow on me as the movie comes out...Taco Tuesday guy looks fun too
  • MeikoMeiko Member Posts: 11
    Very nice! Definitely a nice series. Unlike some of the recent series, I can't see a single fig in this that isn't any less worth getting than another. I'm curious to see how the hair on Emmet and the construction worker is done, and which colour is printed and which is moulded.

Hey! I took the news from BrickFanatics (and credited them), who have reported it as being the 'Official LEGO CMF Series 12 Image'.

Yes, I just wonder if it really is Series 12, or just the next CMF series. I'll guess we'll have to wait until the packaging shows up.
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    Easiest series for me to pass on so far.
    binaryeye
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    While I do agree it isn't the best idea to do a tie in (Series 12/Lego movie and the rumored 13 and 14 being The Simpsons and Super Heroes.) I don't get why so many people are instantly uninterested! Between Shakespeare, Lincoln, Robot 60's lady as I call her, and a lot more like the Barista, there is still enough of a variety for me to want to buy them. I can see why a Simpsons or Super Heroes Tie in might turn some off but I don't get the huge instant easy to pass on these. (Mini-Rant Over)
    edited November 2013
    tmgm528 said:

While I do agree it isn't the best idea to do a tie in (Series 12/Lego movie and the rumored 13 and 14 being The Simpsons and Super Heroes.) I don't get why so many people are instantly uninterested! Between Shakespeare, Lincoln, Robot 60's lady as I call her, and a lot more like the Barista, there is still enough of a variety for me to want to buy them. I can see why a Simpsons or Super Heroes Tie in might turn some off but I don't get the huge instant easy to pass on these. (Mini-Rant Over)

Where did you here series 14 is super heros? Last time I heard anything it's supposed to be based off the lego MMORPG.

As far as why people are uninterested and it being an "easy pass", easy answer on my part: The figures are really lousy. Either they are really bad combos of parts, rehashs of older figures/overdone figures, or they have zero wow factor. plus it's getting hard for me to justify the 3 bucks per pack price and i'm burnt out on the series.

When I began sorting out my figures, I realized just how much money I've wasted on ones I don't even need(some bought at $1 a pack on sale and some at 3 bucks). to put it this way, If i'd have saved the money spent on these things and put it on the side, I would enough money to either completely or almost completely do a needed lego nook project. I need a building surface(about 50 bucks), lamp(20 tops), power strip(5 bucks or so), and storage drawers(about 35).

debating about picking up one to continue my "1 from each theme" trend but that'd be it.
    ^ For me, it is that the series is no longer what it was. These are all character tie-ins to a film, rather than random characters. It used to be that there were random characters, and could act as inspiration to create small vignettes. These are all characters with too much of an existing story.

If I was a collect them all typw person I'd probably stop now, as this is no longer a CMF series but a movie set. If they do Simpsons for S13, and then go back to random characters, what is the point of being a collect them all, if you missed series 12 and 13 due to them being different to the regular CMF line?

I also think it is strange to market for example the Simpsons as S13. You'd look at them and think I've missed the first 12 series of Simpsons, so what is the point of starting now - I've probably missed all the best characters from the Simpsons.

I buy them mainly as parts these days anyway, but these have a number of not very useful parts now. Do we really need so many printed tiles? I'm not that interested in the film either, so not interested in the characters as characters. I would go back to buying random CMFs if they have useful torsos and accessories.

Going L-R back row then front row, my thoughts as someone that uses these mainly for characters in MOCs, so likely to pull apart for parts rather than keep them as characters, are:

Nice dress, but grey skinned so useless for both city and fleshie MOCs. OK for a zombie woman though. Hat / hair OK.

Construction - fairly useless as I have plenty of orange jacket wearers already. Hair/hat piece different, but not that different to a regular hat. Female face "with exertion" maybe useful.

Lincoln - reasonable suit torso, would have preferred black bow tie, hat/beard not so useful like that. Would have preferred separate. Might need to cut them!

Barista - good, much like other earlier CMF series

Panda - good, much like other earlier CMF series

Nice hair piece, but rest looks useless.

Shakespeare - Nice hair piece, recoloured existing torso

Mexican guy - too similar to the existing one. Doesn't really add anything new.

No pants guy - fairly useless. Maybe one for the summer shirt.

Next one - maybe the hairpiece / beard will be interesting (red-neck). Rest useless.

Mr Business - suit OK. Nice mug and head OK. Hairpiece unusual but probably not much good for MOCs.

Very nice dress and face OK. Hairpiece not so useful in quantity.

Emmet - useless. Construction worker. Unusual hair piece/hat, but limited use as doesn't add much to a regular helmet. Head not so good due to eyes.

Cop - fairly useless. Too similar to previous ones. Nice helmet, but that's not enough to get it.

Cat woman - nice hair piece and cat. Would have been better if granny hadn't have been in S11. Would have also preferred less cat hair on her. Head OK.

Mermaid - similar to previous ones, but new colour. Though a shame they didn't keep the same tail design as previous CMFs.

Counting up parts I'd actually aim to get the minifig for - maybe I'd go for 12-15 of these in total, including duplicates (I'd probably go for 4x or 6x panda and at least 3x barista). In others series that number has been closer to 50 or more.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Female face "with exertion" maybe useful. Oh the possibilities.
    tmgm528

Haha I had the same thought reading that. Truly so many possibilities......I have about 4 already :P
    edited November 2013

Yep. I wondered what to write. On another torso she'd look more beaten up.

tmgm528
    CCC said:

Yep. I wondered what to write. On another torso she'd look more beaten up.

Perhaps a mermaid top? :P
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I'll probably just buy a few outright. Thus far I've just bought a box for each of the most recent series as it's the easiest way to get a couple of sets and have some spares to swap, or simply use in bulk for an MoC because multiples make sense (i.e. the S11 British bobby) in a scene.

This time I'm not even interested in one full set, just a few like the panda one and one or two others.

But as others have said above I don't see it as a bad thing, it'll save me a fortune not buying a box three times a year and really, I've collected them so far to display and whilst I have a good few series to finish off still I'd be more than happy being able to finish up to series 11 eventually as that gives me more than enough to frame and put in a really nice display.

If I can pick up the few I want from this series without messing around for £2 - £4 on eBay I'll be happy with that.

Depending on what the Simpsons sets are like I could be tempted by a full set of the Simpson's CMFs, again, to fill up the actual sets to make a decent scene, but beyond that I'm not too bothered. If this is the direction I'll just pick and choose the specific individual minifigures or sets that do appeal to me and I'm okay with that.

I'm not sure Lego will particularly care if people like me don't pick up a full box either as they only let you buy 16 in store anyway as I think they want you to trade, so although this direction may not cater to AFOL collectors I think it probably suits their business plan of providing kids a continued set of minifigures for trade just fine. Kids like collecting stuff, you only have to go into a store like Smyths and look at the piles of collectable tat from stickers to plastic footballers to moshi monsters and whatever else to see kids love this stuff. I could quite well imagine kids loving trying to collect 16 simpsons figures, or 16 super heroes figures or whatever else even if it doesn't appeal to me personally.

I personally think the CMFs to date have been great, and if I never buy another from a later series I'll still be pretty happy stopping at S11 because I still love what I have (and hope to have if I ever complete all the earlier series I haven't yet!).
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    edited November 2013
    These are my rankings, best to worst series:

Series 9
    Series 2
    Series 4
    Series 1
    Series 7
    Series 8
    Series 11
    Series 6
    Series 10
    Series 3
    Series 12
    Series 5
    Series 13 (If Simpsons)
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    11 way tie for me so far. Each series has had their pros and cons. I enjoy each minifig... Some more than others.
    LostInTranslationtedward
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited November 2013
    Interesting option the TLG have, I can see it both ways. Release as S12 and hook the completionist, or not label them series 12 so those who don't like licensed themes messing up the CMF series don't stop collecting.

I tend to think the second option is better as the completionist are more likley to buy them anyway. I'd hazard a guess that most people who have all 11 series so far also have the Team GB series, especially those from the UK.

I realise both sets of CMF "collectors/fans" listed above are probably mostlikly completionist, but the second option does less damage IMO.
    Of course they may have decided that 11 is enough of the pure CMFs and all that will come now is themed sets. It kind of makes sense, maybe would have stopped at 10 but needed 11 to bridge to the movie release?

Presumably the CMF range wasn't going to live forever?
    legodude said:

These are my rankings, best to worst series:

Series 9
    Series 2
    Series 4
    Series 1
    Series 7
    Series 8
    Series 11
    Series 6
    Series 10
    Series 3
    Series 12
    Series 5
    Series 13 (If Simpsons)

It's funny, I'm sure everyone would come up with a different order.

I don't collect them all, but collect large numbers / armies of specific figures. If I rank them in terms of numbers of individual but not unique figures from each series, my top series are:

Series 10 (4 army builders, plus some nice individuals)
    Series 6
    Series 5
    Series 4
    Series 9

If I went for series with numbers of unique figures of interest to me, it would be different. If I ranked the figures in order of being my favourite, then tallied up the numbers per series, the order would be different again. If you go by the numbers per series that I've traded with other people that THEY wanted, it would be different again.

I've been fairly happy with the spread up to S11. I don't mind getting a few figures that I see are crap, as they are always balanced by the ones I want to get. In most cases, what I see as crap, someone else likes anyway - although possibly not in S10 and S11 (skydiver and mountaineer). Up until S9, I don't think there was a figure that you couldn't find someone that wanted it. Even my worst one - the S5 fitness instructor - some people wanted that enough to take them off my hands. I guess the lack of demand for the actual figure plus the skewed distributions for the S10 and S11 hasn't helped the skydiver and mountaineer.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    If the movie really takes off I can see these being very popular with the kids (who I guess they are really aimed at), I can just imagine little Timmy coming out of the movie talking Mom into buying him a few and getting really psyched about having the characters from the movie, and wanting them all..
    LostInTranslationPaperballpark
    Along those lines, I can totally see Series 12 being the best-selling CMF line of them all.
    margot
    Some people would want that but I think the series is ready to retire. It had a really awesome run at first but ever since series 9, it's just been a disappointment.
    I think calling > 9 a disappointment is a bit off-kilter. The figs are as good and original as they ever have been. I'm not saying they are all phenomenal, I'm just saying that it's not the figs causing the recent disdain that others have written about when it comes to recent CMFs.

What I do think, however, is that Lego is screwing it up by making the whole thing more of a chase, as opposed to a collection, what with the whole Mr. Gold idiocy, and reducing certain figs to only 2 per box (will the movie and Simpson's CMF lines follow this pattern? Stay tuned). It's not helping that when you order CMFs from [email protected], you're statistically guaranteed to be disappointed because of the frequency distribution change.

Then there's the fact of releasing the series so often. I think they have saturated the market too much and people are just tired of them. That and the above reasons are why I think people aren't so hot on these most recent lines.

andhe
    edited November 2013
    ^Indeed the first thing i noticed too. Although the box packaging in particular looks particular early revision. Is it also the first time all 16 have appeared on the box?
    Cue everyone breathing a sigh of relief.

Please can an admin change the thread title? Something like 'The LEGO Movie CMF Series'?
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,234
    I like the idea of CMF for the movie, but I'm happy that thus far (is that ^ an official photo?) it looks like the line will be separate from the Series ones. I dunno, for some reason that really skews my view of if the figs are good or not - if it's on their own, ie, just "The Lego Movie" thing, I actually think they're awesome. If it's part of the series, ie, Series 12... I don't like them as much (aside from the Panda Guy).

I had much the same feeling about the Olympic figs, though.

(Off topic... ? My fave series is 11 so far :D It's the only one that I've wanted multiples of several figs, instead of just one or two. Actually, the only fig that I didn't particularly like from series 11 was the mountain climber).
    That's excellent news. I hope it hasn't been photoshopped just to wind me up though!

It would just be ludicrous to call it S12.

Some people would want that but I think the series is ready to retire. It had a really awesome run at first but ever since series 9, it's just been a disappointment.

For me, some of the best characters have been in S9-11!
    edited November 2013
    I can't see the cmf series coming back after this, more so with the Simpsons to follow. No way they would have these and a cmf series together, films not due to Feb and might even be kept kicking around until the DVD release?
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439

^Indeed the first thing i noticed too. Although the box packaging in particular looks particular early revision. Is it also the first time all 16 have appeared on the box?

All 16 always do. It's the bags that only have a picture with only a subset of them.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    This is the product page of sorts for the CMF's:
    http://www.lego.com/en-gb/movie/products/products/71004
    But if you look at the set number, notice it says "71004". If it were actually S12, I would have expected it to have read "71003", as #71002 was S11.

Either there is going to be perhaps a 'proper' S12 we haven't heard about yet, or I'm just practicing wishful thinking and taking too much notice of set numbers :-)
    TheBigLegoski
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 550
    I guess it's official then: whomever called it S12 deserves a trout applied directly to the forehead. The same goes for whomever called Team GB S9.
    LostInTranslationprincedravenjasorHarryPotterLovermurphquake
    Lego don't do trouts. Aren't they officially called "fish with knob"?
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    edited November 2013
    But people who have seen the retail catalog said in the description for S12 it said stuff about TLM. Also in the press release I thought LEGO did call it S12?

I am inclined to think while it is the 12th set of 16 CMF, maybe they only will label "purist CMF series" with numbers.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360

I guess it's official then: whomever called it S12 deserves a trout applied directly to the forehead. The same goes for whomever called Team GB S9.

Sorry, couldn't help it!
    (Yeah, Count Dooku was just the first 'human' minifig I grabbed to take photo btw, no significance here!)
    khmellymelLegoKip
    CCC said:

Lego don't do trouts. Aren't they officially called "fish with knob"?

I guess it depends if they reproduce.

carlq
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    Any chance for an exclusive Team Russia for the Winter Olympics? Guessing not.
    Too bad it's not Vladimir Putin jumping a shark.
    andhemurphquake