Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Storing LEGO options?

AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 380
Hi all, I know there are a real mix of AFOLs from different backgrounds on this forum and I am sure that I can get some good advice from you all.

The LEGO in our house is getting all over the place and most of the models are made up and put in plastic boxes, so they can come out with much remaking as and when either me or the children want them. Due to our family LEGO addiction (although not the wife) we really want to to try and improve the storage of them. I find the making and setting up of LEGO the fun part, my daughter is similar, but my son enjoys everything, the making, breaking, building again, playing etc.

What I would like to do is be able to pack away some of the sets in some kind of order, so you don't end up with just a pile of bricks that you can never rebuild because they are all over the place.

As an example, we have the Death Star made up, and it has had such a battering over the last year as the children and I have reenacted every scene from the film (I am a great believer in playing with LEGO and building MOCs rather than reselling or just leaving the MISB on the shelf) but we would like to put it away for the time being by breaking it up and having the fun of making it again at another time. We have all the pieces, but want to keep it together and not mix it up. We would like to do the same with the creator sets we have, and some of the other SW and City sets.

What I would be interested in is how you all store your LEGO sets? I have seen the LEGO storage boxes like #5001388, but do not know if they are any good?

I'm afraid that redesigning our house or building a "LEGO cave" is not an option for us at the moment! I also look at LEGO as an heirloom, so selling isn't an option either!

Your thoughts on the subject would be very much appreaciated, especially with a LEGO "modular" Christmas just round the corner......

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,310
    I wouldn't bother with official lego storage boxes, unless you want to display them. Just use large plastic boxes that are big enough to take the sets. Ones that click-lock shut are best for when (not if) they get tipped on end, and stackable is even better.

Quite a few people (including me) use Really Useful Boxes (see that thread) or something similar. They have the advantage that different sized / thickness boxes can be stacked in a single stack.
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    edited October 2013
    Unlike many, I don't have the luxury of a dedicated LEGO room with walls lined with industrial storage, so I use a mixture of different storage solutions:

Stanley parts organizers 014708R (good for PaB) and 014725R (good for Grab Bags) , which have perfectly-sized bins for many LEGO parts, and which stack nicely, and keep out nasty photons when you do, but therefore require some labeling solution like Dymo. They also do get pretty heavy when full, and it's no fun to have to get the one on the bottom of a stack out to use it. On the other hand, the parts cups come out to make building more pleasant.

Iris vinyl boxes (which also stack), for:
    1. Sorting parts and building inside of, so any fumble-fingeredness doesn't result in some tiny bit being scattered somewhere impossible to retrieve it from; they have the added benefit that you can easily pause a project by snapping the lid closed, with no risk of part loss.
    2. Storing built models inside of, if they're not too tall.
    3. Storing clear trays of medium-sized plates inside of.
    4. Before I discovered the Stanleys, I used these for storing sorted Ziploc and smaller bags of parts in; some of this legacy organizational scheme persists to this day. In particular, all parts obtained used are stored this way.

I also use Topco's Domestix Click 'n Save food storage containers (available at my local supermarket) for storing larger quantities of identical parts. (I'm having a hard time finding a link to this product, but they are similar in design to this.) In particular, the 18.6 cup (4.4 liter) unit accommodates one PaB case of tiles. These stack nicely, as well.

And finally, dismantled sets are now usually put back into Ziplocs and stored in their original LEGO boxes.
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 176
    Really Useful Boxes are great, although don't get the front-opening 8L box. The clips aren't that good and on more than one occasion they've popped open creating spectacular lego fountains from the shelves.

I think I must be in a minority here, as I tend to mix up all my sets and sort the parts according to my own scheme loosely based around the BL categories. For one thing it make's finding parts for MOCs that much easier. And call me mad, but I actually enjoy digging through boxes to get the parts together to rebuild sets, and then sorting them back into piles when I take them apart.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,482
    edited October 2013
    I think there is another thread talking about storage.
    I sort my parts by type mostly and have then organized as such.
    But I use 1 dollar 6qt plastic bins for larger amounts of parts (such as plates, foliage -trees flowers etc). Upright parts bins such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-20-Inch-16-Inch-Hardware-Cabinet/dp/B003P2UOCO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1383237652&sr=8-7&keywords=parts+bins for smaller parts or where I have fewer than x parts.
    and then Large rubbermaid bins for my loose sets and what not.

And I still have parts in both small Campbells microwave soup cups (although it is a pain to get all of the soup residue out) and also large (empty of course) Ice tea containers as well as LEGO PaB cups.
    and I use the part container types note above for minifigures and minifig parts.
    So I have never really had the magic bullet. The 6 Qt are nice and cheap but kinda big to be honest (as I keep plates separated by size, so 1x2 in one bin and 1x3 in another, etc)
    Oh, I will also add that with the campbell microwave soup cups that if anyone decides to use those to watch out that you do not cut yourself on the rim.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,753
    I use Sterilite Clip Boxes, mostly the small and medium sizes. I keep my collection sorted by part type, but they would be just as useful for storing broken down sets. They close securely and stack well.

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=472&ProductCategory=250&section=1
    binaryeye said:

I use Sterilite Clip Boxes, mostly the small and medium sizes. I keep my collection sorted by part type, but they would be just as useful for storing broken down sets. They close securely and stack well.

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=472&ProductCategory=250&section=1

Nice, will need to get a few of these for my 1x plates. Time to go to Target
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    ^ I like the sterilite latch boxes better. those snap latches always seem to break easily.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-1.2-Quart-Latch-Box-Set-of-6/20699633
    beachbum
    I have been buying the 99 cent 6 Qt Sterilite bins at Target as they are cheaper if not a bit bulkier and they do not have those nifty latches or clips, but again they are cheaper
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Is it similar to this WM one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-6-Qt-Shoe-Box-White-Set-of-36/15442432
    I can't find the equivalent at target.com.
    ^-- kinda like that, but target.com does not have them online, they are store only I think.Unless they stopped selling them.
    http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=442&ProductCategory=179
    Poochy
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    Thanks @madforLEGO I will check them out on my next TG trip.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I place my dismantled sets in Ziploc bags. I usually dismantle in reverse order and will ended up with a number of bags per set which I label from 1 to x, These then all go into a larger Ziploc bag (You can get huge ziploc bags) that is labelled with the set #. I then place these in large (50 Litre) stackable plastic storage containers.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    ^ That is what I do too except not separated into smaller bags. Varying sized ziplocs into the 51qt sterilite latch top containers.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    I operate like ^Basta. Dismantle sets into sandwich size bags (with snack bags within for the smaller parts) in reverse order (put paper labels in each sandwich bag: Theme, Set number, Bag x of x). Put bags in "shoe box" size plastic containers like ^^^madforLEGO. This system is very economical and consistent size can be stacked. Label outside of "shoe box" containers with theme and set numbers. This system has let me rotate sets in a limited display space by theme.
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 380
    Thanks everyone for your posts, I will be looking through these and trying to sort out what is best for our sets. I may go for the really useful boxes idea for the DS, and then consider the bags ideas for the smaller sets. Thanks also to @Poochy for posting the other links I couldn't find.

• AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 380
    Just to follow up this thread, I went with the really useful box 19 litre size for the death star link here and after a couple of hours breaking it up gradually, including the dust removal with a very soft facepaint brush, it fits perfectly with no wasted space.
  • Jacob1225Jacob1225 PhilippinesMember Posts: 3
    Hi i was able to find this Anti Static Shielding Bags, composed of APET/ CPP (Amorphous Polyethylene Terephthalate/ Cast polypropylene)  will this be ok? For long term storage for minifigs? It has polypropylene which is good,but i don't know about polyethylene Terephthalate.. Hoping for the reply guys thanks in advance