Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

motorizing toy story train with electric parts

slurpeemachineslurpeemachine Member Posts: 6
edited July 2011 in Building and Techniques
Good evening,

I am not sure I am posting this in the right section, so feel free to move it to the appropriate section if needed.

Anyway, I recently purchased off a clearance at target a lego toy story train set and would like to motorize it to put it under the christmas tree this year.
I have been a lego fan ever since I was a little kid (minus my dark years) but i have absolutely no knowledge of lego train sets.
I know this is not a set initially designed to be motorized, but I have seen tutorials over the web (this one for example: ) on how to do so.
My problem is I don't want the remote controlled type of train, I want my train to turn on as soon as i hit the light switch that will light the tree up. I think Lego only manufactures remote controllable trains from now on (until they realize their mistake?)
I don't know which part to get and where to get them at an affordable price. I've looked up some sets on ebay, but they're all very expensive, and im not sure any of them is the right one for me.

From what i've gathered, i need old train metal track pieces, one old motor, one speed regulator and its power adaptor.

I am open to any suggestion that would just let me use my train in the simple way i want to use it: if the tree is lit up, the train is going around it without anyone holding any sort of remote nor having to recharge batteries every now and then.

Thank you for your help!

Matt

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    If that's the way you want to do it you will have to go with Lego 9v track, motor and controller. You can get these on Ebay, simply use the key words " Lego train " to search by and you should find what you want. A circle of 16 curved tracks has an inside diameter of 22.5" so if you want to make it bigger on the inside you will have to extend it by adding straight pieces in there. As far as price goes, you should be able to get what you need for under $75 plus shipping. Just look for 9v parts lots. You don't need a whole train set. That gets expensive. I would try to buy what you need before mid August after that the prices start to rise for Christmas. Follow the above video to make your conversion with the exception of drilling holes in the Legos. I hate that idea.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    oldtodd33 has already answered most of your questions, it seems, what I would add thoug is that if you are not sure what you will need to motorize your train 9v is to look at one of the 9v train sets on Bricklink and see what it has. For example look at this motorized Christmas Train Starter Kit, the last 9v train LEGO released: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=K2159-1
    It clearly shows you what parts you will need to motorize a train. Then you can look for them on eBay or Bricklink. I actually recommend Bricklink as it would be a lot easier to find everyting you need and you will deal with knowledgeable sellers who can also answer your questions, etc.
    Good luck with your Christmas train! :)
  • macmonmacmon Member Posts: 80
    Can this be done also with the harry potter train?
  • clowndiscuslegoclowndiscuslego Member Posts: 97
    yes it can as i have motorized both sets to 9v