Potential ebay scam?

edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
So I was pretty pleased to get a #42009 Mobile Crane at an $100+ discount today on ebay. A few red flags went up (low feedback, stock photo, excellent price) but I figured he had enough positive feedback and everyone's got to start somewhere right. Although examining his feedback more closely I noticed that only one of those positives was as a seller, and he was also selling some Tower of Orthancs as well at a solid discount. It also seemed odd he'd have five of the one set for sale. Here's the listing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141103080262?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Did I get scammed?

Comments

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    You didn't but the person who's credit card was used did. If it's like what happened here in the US
    LegoMom1yys4u
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 260
    That's why I never use Ebay.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I'm not following. You never use ebay why? Because of scammers? They are quite easy to ferret out.
  • MeikoMeiko Member Posts: 11
    It's possible it's a legitimate sale, and not a scam. You can often find bulk sales at great discounts on ebay when the seller themselves got a good discount in bulk. While I understand the concern, you could contact the seller and ask if they have any photos of the box or set. I remember one year at BrickFair, the LEGO Store in Potomac Mills Mall (Virginia) had a huge bulk sale for BrickFair exhibitors where they knocked everything 50% off, so I picked up sets like #10189 Taj Mahal for US$150 instead of US$300. It's possible this seller had a similar deal, and is able to discount the set so much on ebay without losing profit.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Yeah, it's possible. Let me quote his happy buyers:

"what a SCAMMER!! never responded the message!!! thief!"

"Scammer!! Do not buy from this seller!"

"Obvious scam artist, will no doubt dissolve and re-form somewhere else."

"Obvious scammer, likely to open another account and keep ripping off people"