Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Gingerbread Man vs. Custom Gingerbread Man

akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
Just a little fun comparison between the LEGO Gingerbread Man and the custom LEGO Gingerbread Man by BrickArms/CrazyBricks. I love the puffy ink that looks like icing and the sprinkled pink gun! Yum! :D

http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/10/custom-vs-lego-gingerbread-man-comparison/
StormKittyindigoboxTheBigLegoski

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,704
    £2 or $30... hmmm... I'll take the official lego one please!

On a side note, it is interesting that custom vendors have developed almost as avid fans of their products as official lego stuff. Is it time for an new AFOL category - AFOLCCV (Adult Fan of Lego Compatible Custom Vendors)?
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    @ andhe, yeah, but the custom one got sprinkles!...(c;

Yes, custom vendors do have their fans (I'm one myself), however LEGO customization doesn't exists without LEGO, so it is kind of a niche within a niche. Most of us are not fans of custom products by themselves, but the possibilities they open up for adding details. I have to say thought that particularly BrickArms has some fanatic fans that collects everything BA makes...(c:
    andhe
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    Even though it looks like icing, I am not a fan of raised printing. Minifigure torsos are meant to be completely flat no matter what the minifig is wearing. Whether it is barechested or wearing a coat, the torso is flat.

I would have preferred a flat sided head without the cream in the biscuit too for the official one. It does look a little odd.
    @CCC that's true about flat printing. I also prefer that in general. Although there are some applications where LEGO is using a textured finish. They are achieving this my the mould, not the print, but it is still there. Interestingly, it also has to do with icing!: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=33013pb01Now I'm getting hungry!...(c:

Yeah, the LEGO Gingerbread Man's head is a bit odd with that icing. My thought is that LEGO designers probably wanted to give it more options. Also, poor ginger guy must have chicken-pox! I have never seen a gingerbread cookie with speckles in it!...(c;
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    I don't care for the puffed icing version at all. The original (Lego version) has the "minifigure look", whereas the custom version just looks "off". Just my opinion of course.

@akunthita said: Also, poor ginger guy must have chicken-pox! I have never seen a gingerbread cookie with speckles in it!...(c;

Look closely next time you see a gingerbread man cookie. Those speckles are ground cloves, one of the classic spices used in gingerbread cookie dough. The Lego designers really were quite precise to add what could have been an easily overlooked detail.
    @LEgoMom1 Hm... I bake gingerbread cookies all the time. I have never seen the spices like that and I do use cloves, along with other spices in it. Mine are the darker version because of the color of the molasses I use. I guess it just depends on how dark molasses you are using. If you are using a lighter version the spices may show up...(c;
  • roguetrader1987roguetrader1987 Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2013
    Hmm I prefer a medium ginger tone to my ...bread men?? I am not overly fond of the cookie head yet while custom minifigs can look a little off I'm disappointed they chose a gun (be it pink and sprinkled) for a the custom children's story character. Why, do they not know that in the story everyone wants to eat him alive and the fox eventually swallows him whole? Much more peaceful.
    Joking aside I actually still don't like the gun as a choice, oh wait I get it, its an icing gun. Sorry too early in morning ;C)
    @roguetrader1987 LOL! A lot of old children' stories are really bizarre that includes things like being choked, poisoned, drowned, roasted, cut to pieces, kidnapped and eaten alive. Much more violent than some innocent pink gun...(c:
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    And here's the original (for those of us from a certain era):

http://www.woollywonder.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2855209-The-Gingerbread-Boy-Ladybird-WellLoved-Tales.html

The LEGO version is quite close to the real thing.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    ^True. That said, I don't remember AK-47s featuring heavily in the Ladybird version, pink or not...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    I just hope runners aren't reading this.