Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

WANTED: 7939 Cargo Train for $150?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited July 2011 in Marketplace
I am looking for Lego set 7939 Cargo Train for less than the retail price. I recently answered a craigslist ad and bought the set for $145. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a scam (seller is no longer available after I sent a postal money order). I saw that TRU is having a BOGO sale and thought someone might have been lucky enough to buy two of these sets and wants to sell one for around $150.

Comments

• teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 961
    I have 2 that I got, which are both probably going back to the store to be returned. I would sell you one of them if someone else would be willing to purchase the other one. Shipping for these is probably 12-15 bucks.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    So you got scammed and expect to buy it at the same price the scammer was offering? Why exactly? Makes no sense to me.
  • trypticontrypticon Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2011
    So, you want one for the total price of $150.00 or under, and you've already blown $145.00 on zip? So, what you're really asking is for someone to give up their set for less than five bucks?

If somebody follows through with this, my entire perception of greedy collectors (of which I'm included) is going to change.

Honestly, if I were you, and I'd just lost $145.00 on a scam, I'd give up trying to get the set in question. It's simply not worth spending more money on. If you do end up doing this, you're going to end up remembering how you were scammed for twice the price you were willing to pay for it originally every time you look at the set. Better to just move onto something else.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @thomasmain I just got mine from TRU with a 20% off coupon for $145. Just be on the look out for the TRU deals and you should be able to score one for the price range you're looking for.
  • I have 2 that I got, which are both probably going back to the store to be returned. I would sell you one of them if someone else would be willing to purchase the other one. Shipping for these is probably 12-15 bucks.
    I have 2 that I got, which are both probably going back to the store to be returned. I would sell you one of them if someone else would be willing to purchase the other one. Shipping for these is probably 12-15 bucks.
    Let me know if someone else wants the other - I am interested.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2011
    So, you want one for the total price of $150.00 or under, and you've already blown $145.00 on zip? So, what you're really asking is for someone to give up their set for less than five bucks?
    No :P It would be nice if someone offered it to me for $150 though.
    If somebody follows through with this, my entire perception of greedy collectors (of which I'm included) is going to change.

Honestly, if I were you, and I'd just lost $145.00 on a scam, I'd give up trying to get the set in question. It's simply not worth spending more money on. If you do end up doing this, you're going to end up remembering how you were scammed for twice the price you were willing to pay for it originally every time you look at the set. Better to just move onto something else.
    I see your point - I think I have put the bad vibes behind me though.
  • achillespdxachillespdx Member Posts: 106
    thomasmain: I hate to pour salt into an open wound, but this warning at the top of EVERY Craigslist ad is there for a reason:
    Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee.
    It sucks to lose that much cash, but I hope you've learned from your mistake.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 961
    Yea I already had one 7939 but happened across 2 in the store and impulsively picked them up. Thought I could sell them for a meager profit but I have been unable to sell them and the 1st of the month is coming up. The $300 I would get back is almost half of my rent, going to give it one more day till I return them on Wednesday.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited July 2011
    No, he was not asking to buy the set for $5. He was hoping to buy it for $150. I've read and re-read the original post and I have no idea how you interpreted it that way.

• mackrelmackrel Member Posts: 75
    At the end of the day the guy is trying to find somebody who may have bought two at the TRU BOGO who is willing to sell one for $30 less than retail (but still make a little money). And maybe he thought he could find someone inside the community who would be sympathetic and help him out. WRONG! Ridicule and humiliation is the only thing for sale inside of here. God almighty the guy got ripped off. Do you have to rub salt in the wound with your well sharpened comments? If you can help say something if you can't move on to another discussion.
    So you got scammed and expect to buy it at the same price the scammer was offering? Why exactly? Makes no sense to me.
    Why does it need to make any sense to you?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited July 2011
    I actually think this is a good idea in principle. If I had more local LEGO friends, I would think teaming on BOGO promotions would make so much sense. I'm always desperate for just one of the two sets and end up settling for a second set that only moderately interests me. I did once, though, convince my pops to get my nephew Brickbeards Bounty and the Kings Castle so I could get the Public Transport during a BTGOF sale. Three winners in that deal, I say. :o)
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Yes, it would be nice if more people could help each other out, especially on a local level.

I myself was trying to find a single TRU that had both the City passenger train and the cargo train. The few that had a train, only had one or the other... never both. I have a feeling most were sold during previous BOGO's. :-(
    edited July 2011
    No, he was not asking to buy the set for $5. He was hoping to buy it for $150. I've read and re-read the original post and I have no idea how you interpreted it that way.
    The sarcasm was a little over your head there, I see. Guess I'll tone it down a bit.
    edited July 2011
    I'm well versed in sarcasm, and if the original post would have said that he would like to spend no more than $150, there could be a literal interpretation that he only had an extra $5 to spend after being scammed. But he didn't say that; he asked if anyone was willing to sell for $150.

To demonstrate that sarcasm is not lost on me, I think a better use of sarcasm would have been "I am willing to sell my extra 7939. Please confirm that you'd like it and I'll take my craigslist ad for it down"
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ gotta say that is quality sarcasm right there :)
    Why does it need to make any sense to you?
    It was just a turn of phrase. What I was saying was why shouldn't he just buy one at market prices like anyone else. Everyone wants a bargain, but whenever I hear someone with a sob-story asking for something cheaper, it sets off alarm bells for me.

Don't get me wrong, if this was someone who was part of the community it'd be different, but this guy just popped up out of nowhere and wants something cheaper than everyone else. I dont think it reflects badly on the community that some people don't respond well to that.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited July 2011
    To demonstrate that sarcasm is not lost on me, I think a better use of sarcasm would have been "I am willing to sell my extra 7939. Please confirm that you'd like it and I'll take my craigslist ad for it down"
    +1 sarcasm
    edited July 2011
    "I am willing to sell my extra 7939. Please confirm that you'd like it and I'll take my craigslist ad for it down"
    I have to admit that what you've written isn't bad.

I was not aware that there would be so many touchy individuals at this forum, but I see a fwe in this thread already.
    edited July 2011
    We are indeed a tactile bunch
  • johnsbricksjohnsbricks Member Posts: 210
    I actually think this is a good idea in principle. If I had more local LEGO friends, I would think teaming on BOGO promotions would make so much sense. I'm always desperate for just one of the two sets and end up settling for a second set that only moderately interests me. I did once, though, convince my pops to get my nephew Brickbeards Bounty and the Kings Castle so I could get the Public Transport during a BTGOF sale. Three winners in that deal, I say. :o)
    Can local lego groups be set up via this forum. Teaming up to get 'Buy one get one cheaper' could save money and you don't have to worry about postage/being ripped off by strangers etc. Would be a good place to do swaps as well. I'm in Bristol (UK) by the way, if anyone is interested in swaps etc.

• Why does it need to make any sense to you?
    It was just a turn of phrase. What I was saying was why shouldn't he just buy one at market prices like anyone else. Everyone wants a bargain, but whenever I hear someone with a sob-story asking for something cheaper, it sets off alarm bells for me.

Don't get me wrong, if this was someone who was part of the community it'd be different, but this guy just popped up out of nowhere and wants something cheaper than everyone else. I dont think it reflects badly on the community that some people don't respond well to that.
    I didn't exactly pop up out of nowhere - I was a reader of r.t.l and LUGNET, have attended six Brickfests, read the news on Brickset, and keep up with Lego related blogs. I have been reading this forum some, but it's true that I don't post much and I am not a prolific builder.

As for my desire to get something cheaper - yeah, I felt burned by the bad craigslist transaction and was looking to make up for that, but I see that my post has caused more disruption than it was worth. Please ignore my request.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    hey @thomasmain - welcome to the forums. Sorry you managed to get some flak - I think it's the first time I've seen such negativity on here, and I think for the most part it was crossed wires and catching people feeling grumpy on a tuesday.

Your request is very valid, though it seems none of us are able to help (certainly not I, being in the UK)
    But hopefully you'll stick around and see that you're welcome here and requests such as yours are perfectly acceptable.

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    edited July 2011
    @thomasmain - I'm with Savage. I'm familiar/friends with three or four of the guys/gals commenting above and have to say that this is the first time I have witnessed hostility like this before on Brickset also - and am surprised by it. From a bystander's perspective, I think your opening post could have been a little clearer. Having said that, I understood what you meant the first read through. I do think had it been more specific though, it might have saved you the reaction you're receiving now. Notwithstanding that, the forum promotes an easy-going, laid back appoach to other fellow members and we're encouraged to read a post assuming it was written with good intentions.

All I can say, is I hope you stick around and give it a go. I was new to the online Lego, sorry 'LEGO' community as of early this year and have to say that we're a great bunch really. I mostly enjoy reading through what everyone else has got to say but occassionally throw a sarkie comment in there now and again.

Good luck.

Here is the real problem with forums, blogs, and the net in general. It brings out a lot of keyboard tough guys. It really only takes a couple of serial posters to make a lot of people apprehensive about posting there opinions, ideas, and questions.
  • chertikchertik Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2011
    Judging by your previous posts, and if memory serves me right, I think you live in NoVA? I live close by in MD. I suppose we could come up with an arrangement next time TRU has a bogo sale. Let me know if you're interested.
  • AlczervikAlczervik Member Posts: 93
    Yeah I've been around these forums since April/ may and it has been a very friendly environment which I enjoy frequenting and feel completely comfortable expressing my opinion.
    I am too wanting a cargo train I went to Lego store in mass USA and they said they had them in back room but not for sale until Aug 1st. Good luck finding it at price.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    @savage_steel @flump6523 CHEERS Hey guys, kind of reminisent of the response someone we know got on another site when inquiring about data sharing. Welcome thomasmain :-)
    I have been on this forum since the beta phase and on the main site for about 1.5 years. I read most everything but don't post allot mostly smart-a** comments. There are some serious, sometimes tense discussions and all seem to end happily. GEART GROUP Hope you stick around. Good luck.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    edited July 2011
    Pardon my dyslexia. GREAT GROUP!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,513
    I think the issue here is that there are those that get up on the wrong side of the bed and get on to argue for the sake of it. I will include myself in that bunch, as I have had my moments, but I try to cut myself off before an admin does it for me :-)

As for those who try to flame then come up with bogus excuses when they are called out on it (you know who you are), just give up trying to justify your comments.

Regarding your situation, I feel bad that you got scammed and cannot really understand why people are so jaded to want to kick a person when they are down, even if they feel it is some kind of hoax or 'scam' to get a good price on a set.
    If you think it is a scam, or a gimmick, to get a set for a lesser price, then just don't respond.. plain and simple...

But getting back to your dilemma:
    I will say that as much as eBay can be a hassle and that the price may be higher than you want, remember that eBay does have buyer protection policies in place... While they are not 'fool proof' they are certainly better than Craigslist...
    And sometimes you can get a good deal on a set (just be wary of seller shipping policies, if you want the Lego box to be intact when it arrives- i.e ask that they use a shipping box to send the item out in, not brown shipping paper)

I'd also like to think that most on this forum are trustworthy enough just for the sake of if they are caught scamming then they will never get a moments peace from the rest of us but again in terms of buyer protection Id keep an eye on eBay...

Good hunting!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2011
    Regarding your situation, I feel bad that you got scammed and cannot really understand why people are so jaded to want to kick a person when they are down, even if they feel it is some kind of hoax or 'scam' to get a good price on a set.
    If you think it is a scam, or a gimmick, to get a set for a lesser price, then just don't respond.. plain and simple...

But getting back to your dilemma:
    I will say that as much as eBay can be a hassle and that the price may be higher than you want, remember that eBay does have buyer protection policies in place... While they are not 'fool proof' they are certainly better than Craigslist...
    And sometimes you can get a good deal on a set (just be wary of seller shipping policies, if you want the Lego box to be intact when it arrives- i.e ask that they use a shipping box to send the item out in, not brown shipping paper)

I'd also like to think that most on this forum are trustworthy enough just for the sake of if they are caught scamming then they will never get a moments peace from the rest of us but again in terms of buyer protection Id keep an eye on eBay...

Good hunting!!!
    I agree that eBay has excellent safety nets in place for buyers. I have used eBay and Bricklink through the years and have been happy with most of the transactions. I realize craigslist has a less than stellar reputation, but I have always thought it was a bad idea to paint it with a broad brush due to a few bad apples. Having said that, this is not the first time I got ripped off on craigslist (although it is the first bad transaction involving Lego).

Previously, I had a very good deal on craigslist for some used Lego. The main difference was, in retrospect, that I met the seller in person. I realize that not meeting the seller in the most recent incident was my key mistake.

My thinking was that I had the guy's address and phone number (indeed had spoken to him on two occasions on the phone) so it didn't feel like I was going to just lose the money I sent him. My first warning sign was trying to contact him after the train didn't show up after a week's time and finding his phone number had been turned off. I still had his address, so I eventually did a little investigating and found a relative of his who I spoke to on the phone. I actually got a call back from another relative later on that explained that the guy was currently in trouble (in jail, actually) and apologized that I was one of the people he scammed (I am not sure why he got in trouble - whether it was because of his craigslist antics or something else). I thought it was nice of the family to contact me and I felt sorry for them having to be embarrassed by this guy's deeds.

I think one of the important differences between craigslist and eBay and Bricklink is also the permenancy of a username and the rating system. Posting on craigslist can be anonymous and there is no system in place for feedback. I work hard to maintain a good online reputation on other selling sites like eBay and Bricklink (indeed, often losing out by providing discounted shipping or refunds if a buyer is not 100% happy). One thing that has always impressed me is that Lego buyers are an above-average group as far as honestly is concerned. For instance, I think there are fewer non-paying buyers (as I have encountered often selling other items).

Anyway, I don't think I am going to totally give up on craigslist, but I am going to be a lot more wary in the future.

edited July 2011
    To the other posts in here, the time for rational discussion is clearly long gone so I'll give up trying. Anyone whos communicated a lot by typing will tell you that some types of discussions just cant be done and this has become one of those IMO. I do think thers been a lot of overreaction and some personal insults which go way beyond the original point and are IMO far worse, but if thats the way we all want to do things then we'll end up with the type of forum that will result in, Im sure.

To the OP, thanks for the clarification.
    edited July 2011
    Please somebody close this discussion. The last post was the frosting on the cake.

^ I don't see a need to close the discussion. I have faith that we're all mature and reasonable enough to continue conversation without the need for being shut down.

Although a lot has been made of the OP's request, I don't see an issue with commenting on its feasibility. The lone issue in my mind was changing the OP's request to something ludicrous, and then criticizing it.

It's worth noting, though, that the first response by teal93mr2 actually offered what the OP was hoping for in principle, provided there was a second buyer, so perhaps it wasn't as far-fetched as some might have thought.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @thomasmain Toys R Us just sent out another 20% off coupon for Friday and Saturday. If you are apart of their rewards program you may receive it. Using the coupon with the Cargo Train, it gets it down to about $145 before taxes.
    What do I have to do to get these emails?!?!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,513
    edited July 2011
    ^--- go to both the TRU rewards account profile page AND your TRU account profile you have to ensure the boxes are checked (one in each profile) to get those notices (I just discovered this myself recently when I finally stopped taking it on faith that my notifications were on) Once I checked both boxes I finally am now getting the emails with the coupons...
    I am debating if I want to use this on a 3677 cargo train or if I even want to use it for the sake of using it.. maybe Ill get another Hillside house (or something otherwise not on sale right now..)

Are these generic or specific coupons?
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    ^ -- Generic "Use on any one item"

I wanted to run to the local TRU and get a train..... but they don't have any!
    Time to make some phone calls.