Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where can you get miscellaneous pieces?

13»

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,650
    Bricklink or BrickOwl should be your first stop when you're looking for parts.
    Oldfanbinaryeye
  • TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    Out of curiosity, does Bricklink and the like sell complete minifigures?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
  • TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    Good to know, thanks for that @BrickDancer.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    The other day I was looking up how much the The Lego Movie character Benny was on eBay and he costs a whopping average of about $35 which is more than a tenth of the price of the actual 70810 Metal Beard's Sea Cow set!

A couple days later I was peaking around Lego.com just to explore and see what the whole site had to offer. As I was clicking on literally every link on the home page (I was really bored that day XD) I came across the customer service link which is right in the bottom left corner and I found out you can buy parts from any set when you punch in the item number. The only part is (this is where Lego gets you) you cant purchase minifigs except city people you probably have a billion of. But you can go to the missing parts section (this is where you get Lego back :P) and you can get every single Lego piece Lego is producing today except licensed and out of stock parts. You still have to pay for these parts unless you have a receipt for the set but that's OK. I went ahead I tried this out so I got Benny and a few other exclusive parts from the set like the gold head and the metal beard etc. My final price including tax was much more reasonable price of $15.25! You could call this "cheating the system" but there is no other way to purchase these parts from Lego so if you really want a Benny minifig this is the way your gonna have to go
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    It's not cheating - you paid for them! It would be cheating to claim they were replacement parts to try to get them for free, but there's nothing wrong with buying through Bricks & Pieces. I just recently bought some Transparent 1x1 tiles (for way cheaper than Bricklink) and a "LEGO House" nameplate (not even for sale on Bricklink).
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Did you get Benny's actual broken helmet?
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    When you enter missing parts instead of replacement parts aren't you saying you bought the set and it was missing Benny and the other exclusive parts? Does it ask you have a receipt and if you say no it allows you to pay for the parts? Thanks,
  • JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    ^ If it is licensed and involved minifigure, such as Star Wars, then receipt or some verbal verification is required depends on the rep. You can not purchase those parts, only through reason of missing parts on new sets, which is kind of sucks.
    So is there an option to pay for missing parts during checkout? This is all through the "my set has a missing part" link not the "I want to buy a piece" correct? Thanks,
    No, this is through the "I want to buy a piece" option. It takes you to Bricks & Pieces, which has a far more expansive inventory than Pick-a-Brick.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Maybe you're in a different country but only Benny's legs and air tanks are available through "I want to buy a piece" in the UK.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,772
    The only way to get those parts in USA, UK, Germany, Aus, Canada is to claim they were missing from the set. I have just checked those countries.
    ^that is what I was seeing thanks for confirming.
    Pitfall69 said:

Did you get Benny's actual broken helmet?

yeah I got everything but his legs because I have like a thousand blue legs and the helmet is the real thing not a rip off reg helmet

When you enter missing parts instead of replacement parts aren't you saying you bought the set and it was missing Benny and the other exclusive parts? Does it ask you have a receipt and if you say no it allows you to pay for the parts? Thanks,

yeah, just reply the email asking for the recaipt saying sorry, I can't find the receipt. do you have any other options? they then put together an order for you. this is the only way to buy these special minifig parts. unfortunately they can't sell star wars stuff etc. because of licensing agreements.

So is there an option to pay for missing parts during checkout? This is all through the "my set has a missing part" link not the "I want to buy a piece" correct? Thanks,

yes. the purchase has to be through missing parts. It's the only way Lego will sell you exclusive minifig parts.
    scrumper said:

Maybe you're in a different country but only Benny's legs and air tanks are available through "I want to buy a piece" in the UK.

to get the parts go to missing parts not buy a piece Lego won't sell you the part unless you claim you have lost it and you cannot give a proof of purchase
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, and keep abusing LEGO's goodwill and they can ban you from getting anything via missing a part feature.
    If you try to get licensed parts via the missing part feature I believe LEGO watches that. That is a complete trust in that you have actually lost the item in the set. Abuse it and LEGO will take notice(as I believe they record these replacement requests) and will likely ban you from getting anymore parts from them, payment or not.
    At least that is what I have heard from LEGO and others.

A world of difference between buying a piece, which has restrictions, and outright lying to LEGO reps saying you 'misplaced the receipt' to get these parts
    roxioscrumperMatthewsidersddmnbvcbobabricks
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited April 2014
    ^Yeah I agree, having to lie to get a piece isn't the same as Lego offering it for sale to all comers with no restrictions.

Yeah, and keep abusing LEGO's goodwill and they can ban you from getting anything via missing a part feature.
    If you try to get licensed parts via the missing part feature I believe LEGO watches that. That is a complete trust in that you have actually lost the item in the set. Abuse it and LEGO will take notice(as I believe they record these replacement requests) and will likely ban you from getting anymore parts from them, payment or not.

A world of difference between buying a piece, which has restrictions, and outright lying to LEGO reps saying you 'misplaced the receipt' to get these parts

yeah and I mentioned i kind of cheated the system but think about it, Lego still made a huge profit it cost me $15.25 not including shipping wear it probably cost them 10 cents to make all the parts.

I'm flagging that. It is wrong to claim you have lost the parts of rare minifigs when you haven't bought them.

You are abusing the system.
    madforLEGObobabricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,431
    even if you paid for it it's still abusing the system. Your argument of "it probably cost them 10 cents to make all the parts" is a joke, you aren't taking into account any kind of overhead that a service like this which is run to help people who have genuinely paid for the set and lost or broken parts themselves/lost their receipt. If everybody abused this system like you have TLG would have to shut it down because it is not profitable for them to take the order, process it and supply the parts for those exclusive parts. I get that it seems like TLG is 'the bad guy' when they put exclusive characters into high price sets but they are a company that needs to make profit to be sustainable so what they are doing is a basic marketing strategy. What you are doing is akin to fraud, you have lied and deceived to get products you otherwise would not have been able to get.

I declare shenanigans! Everyone grab a broom! (Anyone who gets this completely unrelated reference wins the prize!)
    (p.s. there is no prize)
    bobabricks
    I retract my previous statement; I thought you were going through the "buy a piece" option. Yes, yes you are cheating.
    bobabricks
    ^ @Plell‌ I read your comment and assumed that was what you thought, I felt the need to check the various ways that this might have been done legitimately before ranting, as other have pointed out no minifigs are available on the buy a piece, although weirdly pieces that I have only ever seen used for Unikitty are available.
    ^ I haven't check what pieces are available for a while, but aren't they all generic pieces that are available for unikitty. The horn and the arch for example, but not the head. Even though they are unique to the set, they are not licensed and therefore available.
    it was the colours, I haven't seen used in other sets so I wasn't necessarily expecting them, but i came to the same conclusion as you.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
    edited April 2014
    Shib said:

I declare shenanigans! Everyone grab a broom! (Anyone who gets this completely unrelated reference wins the prize!)
    (p.s. there is no prize)

I want a prize! I'll "rochambeau" you for it...I'll go first.
    Shibbobabricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    edited April 2014

yeah and I mentioned i kind of cheated the system but think about it, Lego still made a huge profit it cost me $15.25 not including shipping wear it probably cost them 10 cents to make all the parts.

...'Kinda cheated the system'... you either did or did not. The exception I take is that you are knowingly, and endorsing, lying to LEGO. Enough people do this then LEGO could basically says 'fine, no more' even those who legitimately lost a part. Just poor self serving thinking IMO.
    It is one thing if you are buying a part from the 'buy a piece' section as they do have restrictions, and you cannot get licensed parts due to agreements with the license holders (yes it sounds silly LEGO does this with LEGO the Movie) and in this case I'm guessing the license holder is the movie producer. So that means no licensed parts for sale.

But again LEGO watches for this abuse of the replacement part system so while the morality police cannot stop you from doing it, LEGO likely will.
    bobabricks