Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Engraved Name Badges/Bricks

timttimt Member Posts: 33
I'm looking for a place that offers engraving on LEGO bricks preferably in North America. Yes I am aware Tommy of the Brickprinter/Engraver but the first time I submitted him an order it dragged on for over two years and he never even told me how to pay him, someone in my LUG ordered from him last month and Tommy never replied after he was paid. So if anyone else knows of a place that offers this service please let me know.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    You can often get bricks engraved at the Lego Discovery Centres.
  • timttimt Member Posts: 33
    There isn't one near me at all...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    Are waterslide decals going to be an acceptable alternative? They are quite easy to do. Or print-at-home stickers even easier.

But both are not as nice as engraved.

Do you have jewellers that engrave gold / silver local to you? They might be persuaded to engrave ABS. Although if it is by hand, then it is likely to cost.
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 297
    Dose anyone in your group have kids in NJROTC or like programs. They often have the machine that engraves there name badges and might do it for you.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    @timt I recently placed an order with Brick Printer and I totally understand what you are saying. Communication was a bit delayed and I was the one that had to instigate the email to get them to answer my questions.

But in the end, I got my bricks and they threw in some free tiles and it was all good.
    @norm103 This is something I've looked into locally but the quality was not up to standard.

@LegoBrandonCP Our member placed an order with him on etsy, he gave them an invoice and they paid and him via paypal and heard nothing back even after the paypal dispute window closed. Paypal agreed to move the date back for them and refund the money if there was no reply form Tommy so I wouldn't be surprised if his paypal account is suspended for a bit.

My year long back and forth with him only started after I made some comments on flickr and someone put me in touch with him, but in the end he never did the work, even after he offered to do my personal badges for free for all the hassle it was dealing with him. It does seem for every satisfied customer he has there's another who went through the same experience as me.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    You could try Minifigforlife. They're in the UK, but they're excellent!
    It might work out better to pay the international shipping cost (which isn't much) rather than face the hassle of trying to find somewhere in the US?
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    If your hand is steady enough, try a Dremel tool with an engraving attachment, or a dedicated engraving tool.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 589
    The Write Brick, http://www.thewritebrick.com. Jeff and Robin are located in the western suburbs of Chicago, and as a fellow ChiLUG member, I have seen their work at many events.
    @SirBen White Brick sounds promising, are they still doing engraving? Their website hasn't been updated this year. I'll email them anyhow.
    @timt They are still doing engraving. I saw them at a LUG display this past weekend. They were handing out business cards and mentioned an order that they were getting out earlier this week.
    Thank for your help. Robin got back to me and we are in the process of working an order out!
  • FlymoFlymo Member Posts: 15
    I got my partner a brick from Lego Discovery shop. Very neat with her name and watching the machine doing it was very cool
  • klsmith007klsmith007 USAMember Posts: 13
    I know I'm a bit late to the show here, but I can probably help out folks that are needing Lego brick/tile engraving. I'm doing it mostly for myself and my LUG friends at the moment, but give me a shout out with what you need and I'll see if I can help. I don't have a shop, but I think I do quality work. Here are some bricks I engraved.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12219194666/

And some tiles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12218989904/

I can do any true type font in pretty much any size. I've even engraved in the edge of a plate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12218869813/
    TheLoneTensordougtsBrickDancerchuckpMorkMan
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @klsmith007 That's some nice work, especially on the game board!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Excellent work @klsmith007! Let me know if you mass produce the Monopoly pieces.
    @BrickDancer… I'm working on setting up an Etsy shop to market some of these things. The trouble with the Monopoly board is that it would probably have to sell for around $500 to make it worth my while. That is a lot of engraving and painting (or color fill as they say in the trade). The part that I like about the board though, is that it all fits so nicely on a 48x48 baseplate. I couldn't have planned it any better. Thanks for the props. Kevin
    Oh, I forgot to mention… on the board, the reason that there are studs above the railroads, is that I wanted to mount the little trains from the Winter Village Toy Shop there to give the board some "texture". I also want to fill in the center with some micro scale buildings and place the Monopoly "guy" (Rich Uncle Pennybags) on the top of the buildings for show. Someone did a really nice brick built version of him that I'd like to copy.

Something else I thought about to make the game board playable and that was to continue using tiles for the property color groups, but when someone is ready to build houses and hotels, just swap the tile out for a 1x4 plate in the same color. Then you have 4 studs for 1x1 brick houses (a 1x1 brick with a cheese slope on top) and 1x2 hotels.

I actually engraved money on 2x4 tiles and made title deeds using white versions of the 4x4 tile (with studs on one side), but it got too crazy with all that engraving. It's just as easy to buy a replacement set of money, property deeds and community chest and chance cards from Parker Brothers that work just as well and save me lots of work.
    Did your engraver give you a price ladder quote that shows what pricing would be for say 10 sets, 100 sets, 1000 sets? For custom or labor intensive work, scale tends to be the biggest driver of costs.
    @BrickDancer…. Ah… the engraver would be ME. I created the artwork and engraved it all on my Roland EGX-20. I then "color-filled" using acrylic paints.
    Oh wow! That explains the high cost, since essentially each piece is a custom work that is hand done by yourself. The craftsmanship is real nice and clean tho.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    @sirben We used Robin and her work was great but now she wants to raise her prices. She was doing 15-20 bricks for $2 a brick and now after the second order she informed us that it would be $3 a brick even for a larger quantity. Disappointed in such a deep price increase and are looking for someone else. This did not include the magnet.
    Yup. You got it.

I'm pretty proud of the quality. I'm getting a lot better at the color fill process. While I can use a squeeze bottle for things like the dots of dominoes (I do those on a 2x4 tile), most of the time it's "slopped on" (well, not slopped on, but not where I care if I go outside the lines) and then squeegeed off, leaving the paint in the engraved recesses. Not all of the paint on the surface is removed by the squeegee, so I need to go back and polish the tile to remove the excess paint once its dried to leave the surface pristine. In the cases where I have multiple colors on a single tile, I put on my magnifying glasses and paint the surface colors by hand. Since the engraved areas are lower than the surface, it's pretty easy to get right up to the edge with the secondary color and not worry about paint getting into the engraved recesses. Every tile or brick is truly a one of a kind item.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    Truly amazing work. That's more of an art than a hobby. Kudos!
    @dneul I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience with the change in prices. I've not gotten quotes for any engraved bricks, so I don't know what the going rates are. I just know that I've seen their work at numerous shows and have been impressed with it.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    @sirben Their work is good quality but usually when quantity goes up then the prices typically go down. @klsmith007 are you us based?
    @dneul Yup. Born and raised. Currently living in southern California.
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163

I'm working on setting up an Etsy shop ...

Did you ever set up a shop? If yes, what's the URL?