Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Store Returns

llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
edited January 2014 in Buying & Selling Topics
So, here is the deal: I need to return some sets to the Lego store but I have lost my receipt. Will they let me return the items or am I pretty much SOL? I know they'll do an exchange without one , but that isn't what i'm looking to do.

Comments

• adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2013
    Yes, I've done that once or twice and they take it in exchange for store credit, as long as it is a set that is not retired.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 724
    Did you use a VIP account? Some stores can pull up prior purchases, if they are tied to reward accounts, and credit your original form of payment. Don't know if that is true of LBR stores.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Yes I used my VIP card but unable to bring up my actual receipt and not looking for credit in store, need the $$ back.
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^ not going to get cash back without the receipt. No way for them to know what you exactly paid for it (VIP point, coupons, taxes from another state, etc) or even if the item came from a LBR store at all.

Merchandise credit is all they'll do.

--Gary

Well, didn't use any VIP points, the boxes have their price sticker on bottom the the Lego store's use, and the staff knows me pretty well. Plus the other Lego store is 100miles from me.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I have no experience with LBR but IMO go in to the store, ask to speak to the manager, be calm and polite explain your situation and hope for the best.

If that does not work try and sell them in the marketplace.

• dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Most stores just do merchandise credit without a receipt. It is your responsibility to keep it. Why would they give you cash that you can spend elsewhere?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @llanowarsoldier the register won't be able to issue a refund without the original receipt. They will only giving you store credit on a gift card for that item at it's lowest historical price. You will then need to use the gift card to buy an equal price item and they will give you a new receipt for it. Then you might be able to refund that item for cash. An extra couple steps, but should get you to the goal.
    Pitfall69
    ^ refunds are processed by original payment. The receipt will show that be paid via a gift card and will be returned with a gift card
    ^yup
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Didn't realize that. Guess the only way is to sell/trade the gift card for cash.
    Well, crap...also this will be the 1st year in a long time that i miss out on the Holiday set and double VIP points. I'll trade my Valentine's Day Red Mini-figure(yes i'm opening that can of worms again) for one.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Since you will probably be able to return your items for a store credit gift card, you might be able to find someone willing to give you cash for the gift card if you provide an incentive to them. Try going to the store when there are lots of customers, during a busy day and time, and discreetly asking if anyone would be willing to offer cash for a gift card if you are willing to take 10 or 15% less than its value. It's worth a try, Good luck.
    Are you in a LUG? What sets are you wanting to return? Selling store credit would make sense as the pp described but outside the store, just being respectful of the employees. You did say that they knew you.
    Well, I'm just going to keep the sets since I won't be able to get my cash back. Also, I don't want to be one of "those" people trying to sell a gift card for less. I think there are a few LUG's here in the Columbus area, but I rarely have much free time.
    ^you could offer it on the forum. I'm sure someone would, for example, send you $90 for a $100 gift card.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    edited October 2013
    I write this in fear that I'm being really thick.

Has the OP confirmed yet how it paid for the goods? If proof of purchase can be provided some other way ie. a credit card or bank statement perhaps, that should be good enough. There's some UK law that allows this - don't know if it extends worldwide or not. You don't need to demonstrate the actual itemised list, just that money was parted with.

If not, I am really really surprised @llanowarsoldier the store wouldn't help you out by tracing your purchase by providing an exact time and date of the cash payment. This is very possible, especially if you are on good terms with the staff.
    Problem is I don't remember the date of sale. Plus, also at this time they are brining in the Seasonal help which means I may not get one of the long time workers that know me
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^If you used your VIP card then you can look up the purchase on [email protected] If you want money instead of Lego sets you CAN make that happen, no one else is going to do it for you.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2013
    @llanowarsoldier said: I don't want to be one of "those" people trying to sell a gift card for less.

What do you mean by "those" people? I would think that many Lego customers would be happy to give you cash for a Lego Store gift card if it meant a 10 or 15% savings for them. After all, don't we have a thread here with many complaining that they can't use a 10% off coupon on certain sets? Many would be happy with a bit of a discount, and you would have the cash you are looking for. Win/win IMO.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    ^ I have a Lego gift card here at home. It has no dollar amount written on it and it's empty. Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance of getting duped.
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96

^ I have a Lego gift card here at home. It has no dollar amount written on it and it's empty. Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance of getting duped.

but if you are at the store cant you just ask the employee to verify how much is on the card?
    ^ at the store the amount could be confirmed.

The pp has no way to prove that they paid retail price for the set. They haven't even mentioned what set they have. If they used their VIP the. They should at the least offer 5% off the total since they received that in VIP points if it was purchased before October... 10% if they really want the money.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Problem is I don't remember the date of sale. Plus, also at this time they are brining in the Seasonal help which means I may not get one of the long time workers that know me

Wha, huh? This is a reason not to go into the store? I'm sensing trolling here.

Why don't you just bring it in and see what they'll do for you? If you don't like the result, talk to the manager. Worst case, you leave and trade this mystery set here.
    The sets are the new Grand Prix Transport, Monster Truck Transport and The Cargo Truck. As for the date of sale I know it was about 3 weeks ago, but just can't remember the day/date. Also, it was the manager I talked to on the phone the other day when I called and asked them what my options were. She said they could only do an exchange, nothing mentioned about a gift card for the credit or anything else. That's why I came on here and asked if there were any other options for people who have had to do this before.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Yes I used my VIP card but unable to bring up my actual receipt and not looking for credit in store, need the $$ back.

If you don't have the receipt, and they can't look it up, you're not going to get your $ back. Your options are to return for credit (which is a maybe) or sell on ebay/here/elsewhere.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Was there ever a resolution on this?
    Nah, I just said Screw it....though I am now looking for set 40082 Since I won't get the chance to get into store this month