Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Has the text font changed in the forum?

legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,540
edited October 2013 in Forum Operation
Either my eyes deceive me (which they do from time to time - migraines and all that), or has the font or character spacing changed ever so slightly in the forum?

I'm finding the character spacing is just a teeeny fraction wider than before (or something), and for some odd reason I'm struggling to make the words out... as though the text is too close to being a long line of spaced apart letters... or is it the words too far apart, making my eyes do little leaps... Either way, it's weirding my eyes out.

Its probably just my eyes, but i'd like to know for sure...

Comments

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,540
    No, it's not the character spacing, its the word spacing. Maybe i'm just going a bit mad... lol
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    Something seems to have changed, and it's bothering me also.
    From what I can tell:
    - tab for the first line (annoying as it disrupts the continuity of multiple posts)
    - I think there is a large line space (space between lines).
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,482
    Also, the "abuse" button has disappeared and you can't see who has "liked" a post any more - in mobile view anyway :-(
    oldtodd33Joseph
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,217
    I noticed it too... thought I was going a bit daft! Glad it's not me :)
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    You are spot on about it making words hard to make out @legomatt, I thought it was my eyes playing up.

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,322
    @LostInTranslation You're right, you can't see it on the P.C. anymore either.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    The removal of the Reactions 'Abuse' flag was deliberate as it was being misused. The flag button next to the date stamp is still functioning and can be used to report inappropriate content directly to the staff. The Reactions 'Spam' flag is still functioning for the time being.

The inability to see who has liked a post, and the character/line spacing issues are nothing to do with Brickset, likely an update from Vanilla. I'm not a fan of the increased spacing either.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,025
    So the removal of who liked a post ... Means the removal of who has spammed a post too.

So people are free to mark anything as spam and it is totally anonymous to the person whose post it was. Yet it flags up on their profile page that they are a spammer but not who flagged them as a spammer.

That is going to lead to abuse. You might as well remove the spam flag too and rely on the original flag tool, which is not made public.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,482
    @Matthew - would it be possible to make the "likers" visible again? I miss that feature :-(
    edited October 2013
    @CCC It was not intentional to remove the visibility of who has liked/flagged a post from the mobile view. It is still displayed on the main site, however 'likes' are now additionally in a pop up which is accessed by hovering over the 'like' button (see attachment).

@LostInTranslation We'll look into it, but I've got a feeling that it may have been an update from Vanilla that we can't control. That it happened that day after removing the 'abuse' flag may have been a coincidence.
    CCC.png 31.2K
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,657
    edited October 2013
    You can't hover in android in desktop mode. :o/

I don't think so anyway.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    Actually... I just went into the settings and enabled them. It was broken for all and it's fixed now. The VanillaForum update nuked the setting, and I simply had to reset it.
    LostInTranslationJosephLegoboyprincedravencheshirecatlegomattSirKevbags
    edited October 2013
    I really need to stop the grand hypotheses and just leave rocao to it :-)
    LegoboylegomattLostInTranslationandhe
    :)
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,540
    Phewee... That's a relief. Thought it was just me going mad.
    Yes, thanks, that's better!
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Matthew said:

The removal of the Reactions 'Abuse' flag was deliberate as it was being misused. The flag button next to the date stamp is still functioning and can be used to report inappropriate content directly to the staff. The Reactions 'Spam' flag is still functioning for the time being.

The inability to see who has liked a post, and the character/line spacing issues are nothing to do with Brickset, likely an update from Vanilla. I'm not a fan of the increased spacing either.

I can't say I like the abuse flag being removed. It was a good tool to use to see how certain people were...abusive. Now we can't.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Abuse flags were not that widely used but I for one felt there was an increase in people hitting abuse when it appeared they just didn't like a comment or agree with it. That can't have been the intended use.
    Is it possible to get an abuse taken off if it's been done by a member who has been banned (and the post is not actually a spam?). It's not really a big deal, but it does bug me!
    Legogeek
    Spam is abused just as much as the abuse flag was.
    Legogeek
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Seconded on @khmellymel's request to scrub!
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    ^&^^^
    Matthew said:

There is currently no way for anyone (including staff) other than the user who flagged it to remove a flag submitted using the 'reactions' (at the bottom).

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^ Thanks @Joseph. I guess my profile blemish is here to stay =(
    edited October 2013
    ^^ Thanks Joseph, that's still correct I'm afraid. If it's any consolation most of the staff have also been flagged for spam!

Abuse flags were not that widely used but I for one felt there was an increase in people hitting abuse when it appeared they just didn't like a comment or agree with it. That can't have been the intended use.

That is indeed the main reason why it was removed. While intended to act as a way for the community to 'self moderate' (posts are hidden if they receive 5 or more abuse or spam flags) it was actually being used more like a 'Disagree' button.
    edited October 2013
    But whereas a 'flag', whether it be 'spam' or 'abuse' can't be individually removed by Admin, can 'spam' not be removed in its entirety like abuse was - just leaving the 'private' flag system that remains in place for 'abuse'? The one that alerts Admin?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Maybe have agree and disagree public tags? As mentioned above, if abuse is useless, spam is useless as well.
    edited October 2013
    ^ I don't know, last time there were agree and disagree buttons, they seemed to be more hassle than they were worth. With it usually being seen in debates, I (and probably others) began to wonder if the main use for the disagree button was simply to increase hard feelings between parties, which it certainly seemed to do. Needless to say, I was glad to see it go.
    As for agree, that probably could have stayed, but I feel like the "like" button does well enough.
    I wasn't a fan of the dislike flag either. If you don't like something, say why. A button just makes it too easy to disagree.

If such stats do appear in public profiles, it is also useful to show on a persons profile how often they hit spam / abuse, in addition to how many they receive.

Mine too, alas! Thanks for letting us know tho @Joseph.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711

Mine too, alas! Thanks for letting us know tho @Joseph.
    Me three.... :-(
    Seems my image shall forever be tarnished due to the callousness of some banned individual.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Don't you think now that the abuse button is gone the spam button will used as an abuse button?
    edited October 2013
    ^ I was hopeful that wouldn't be the case, but unfortunately it seems you're correct.
    Or just I don't like what you said.