Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ebay user just does not get it.

Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
edited October 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
OK about 6 months or so ago I sold the train portion of the 2010 Transportation center and the lady that bought it was upset that the "model came broken in pieces". I refered her then to the link on my listing as well as a direct link in the message to the Lego website where she could find the building instructions for the train. I never once said in my listing that I had instructions (hence the linky to Lego).

Ok so the other day I get a message from her stating that she is very dissappointed in the transaction and my service with this obviously broken model. I informed her that Lego is supposed to be that way and that my auction clearly stated that the model will be disassembled for shipping. I even kept each part of the build in it's own bag just like Lego did for easy building. Please refer to the Lego website to get the instructions. and enjoy the build.

I sent this through E-bay's mailing system. (this is very important)

She replys back stating to me that the pictures clearly show a built train and that is what she bid on. (again its lego) and that she didnt have any method of going online to get the instructions for building this broken model.

My reply:
Funny you should mention not having any way to get the instructions as you dont have online access but here you are on E-bay which is an online service which requires some method of going online. This auction was over 6 months ago and I sent you the model just as I stated I would, in pieces. I have provided you information on how to find and download the instructions for this model. The model was complete at the time of shipping and what has happened to it after that is not in my power. Feel free to file a claim with E-bay if you feel I have wronged you.

She files a claim with E-bay, I guess she somehow made the time limit. Her claim said that the model train was broken in many pieces and she wanted a full refund. (note no mention of the model being Lego)

I replied to Ebay with the correspondance her and I have been having as well as the listing number. I also called Ebay about the claim to make sure they understood what Lego was and that the buyer did not mention Lego at all in her claim. The young lady I talked to at Ebay was very understanding and even got a good chuckle out of this whole thing.

Now for the best part!

Her response to the claim was her grandson had easily damaged the model after she spent "hours" building it for him with instructions she was able to find online after many hours of searching. and this was not what was advertised in my listing. I recieved a correspondance number from her as well so I decided to give her a call directly.

Once I called her I found out that she did not know that Lego was a building toy, and that the pieces were supposed to come appart like they do. She was also unable to follow the directions properly as she didnt understand how Lego worked. She put her Grandson on the phone and he being about 10 or so had no problem getting on Lego.com, finding the instructions and he started building the train as is was supposed to be built even before I got off the phone.

Some people should never touch a computer...
StuBoythenossmillatt

Comments

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    I'm surprised you responded after six months. I would have ignored her. You're very nice for providing free phone tech support!
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    LOL yea Tech support to the 10yr old.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,290
    *is amazed*

I love this story.
    smillatt
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    It makes you wonder how these people manage to even find their way onto eBay and sign up for an account.

yys4u
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    All the more surprising given that lego has been around for generations and is literally one of the most recognisable toy brands in the world and is well known to be a construction toy.
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    I have met several people that new Lego was a toy but didn't know about what Lego was or what you did with it.