Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

EXPIRED: [US] Amazon: Millenium Falcon set down to $103

dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
edited October 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
Over at Amazon.

I've only seen it be about a buck cheaper at Amazon and that was a year ago, thought some members might want to grab it!

Comments

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    better deal Oct 15th imo . . .
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 514
    What's on oct. 15?!?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Free winter village set + double points...

Except that S&H is at full price, Amazon is not, and Amazon ships a whole lot quicker. :)

Pitfall69
    10% off coupons "in store" . . .
    ^Yes, but if MSRP at the Lego store is $139.99, 10% brings it to $125.99. That is actual cash out of your pocket, since the VIP deal doesn't actually reduce your out of pocket cost.

Even with double VIP points, with 6% tax (ymmv), that's like another 4% reduction to about $121 (rounded of course).

So, that's putting an $18 premium on the free set (assuming you even want it)?

Sorry, I don't see how that's a better deal then the Amazon.

Not trying to argue the point, just clarifying that maybe the Amazon deal is a more attractive deal...

$103 out of pocket vs. $133.55 (assuming 6% tax) is a $30 difference
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2013
    What's with the ...'s ? If you have a thought or a point, we'd like to hear the whole thing, not just the cryptic lead up.

I'm with @wrangler6915 though, it's all about attractiveness to me. If I save a dollar but have to go through a ton of hoops, I am not going to go through those hoops.
    pillpodcardgenius
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    taking taxes out, since they are supposed to be the same (and for many of us, they are the same), it's actually $126 with $12.60 in VIP points, so that takes it down to $113.40, plus the holiday set. I'm pretty sure if one wanted to buy they holiday set outright, it's going to cost them more than $10 shipped, so a straight apples to apples comparison would reveal that yes, the October 14 with 10% coupon is probably a better deal for anyone who wants the holiday set.

Of course there are 1000 different taxing variable that can be brought into play, but as you say YMMV, so I find it is always best to do a straight comparison without the taxes for apples to apples comparisons, with the caveat that everyone should factor in their own taxing situation, rather randomly cherry picking 1 of the 1000 situations and try to use that as the definitive illustration of what is better in a comparison.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    Without getting into the tax, value of the freebie, non-imediate discount that is VIP points; my main question is the coupon even valid on oct 15th?
    In the past I used to get catalogs with the 10% coupon but they all had a validity span of a month tops. Lately I haven't gotten my catalog (thats another story) so I don't know the actual expiration date of the present coupon. If indeed it expires before the freebie kicks in, then this whole discussion is moot.
    ^dougts, dude, what's with the attitude? I'm just trying to provide a way for folks to think through their options. I'm not "cherry picking" an example nor did I ever say it was a "definative illustration". I'm pretty sure I said "ymmv". There is nothing "random" about it. I provided what I think is a fair comparison

Not everyone has a 10% off coupon, has a brand store close by, is a VIP, or wants the holiday set. I get that you're trying to illustrate the various value propositions, but your assuming everyone meets those criteria.

Today is Wednesday, if I want a MF, Amazon will get it to me for free on Friday, delivered, for $103.

Yes, if you take the points, plus the free set, plus a 10% off coupon if you have one, it comes out about the same, maybe even slightly better from the LEGO store.

---------

As has been pointed out however, that requires some hoops and twisted jumping, the VIP points are a discount for later purchases, the holiday set, well that does have value, but all in all, the Amazon deal is a good one.

The issue came up when @gmpirate said "better deal Oct 15th".

That implies that it isn't just "close" to Amazon's deal, it is actually better in some way, and I don't see a way to get MF from the LEGO store for a "better" price than Amazon.

Unless he knows something we don't, such as 25% off this set in the LEGO store, plus all the freebies, THEN that would be a much better deal. :)
    @tensor not trying to be cryptic, just don't want to offend anyone in this thread with numbers and economics of a practice that shall not be named :P
    I assume everyone else knows what I'm talking about.

140 less 10% = 126 less $15* (xmas set, sell it or keep it) = 111 less 10 (clone lieutenant) = 101 less 12 (points) = $89

* conservative cash back after selling last year's now, which actually are trending higher, and not even close to Christmas yet.

The falcon price could easily become $80 in time with Christmas set appreciation nearer to the big day. As far as taxes, YMMV, talk to your accountant or local authorities.

Apologies in advance to anyone offended, as this is just one man's perspective. I realize some will not put value on the freebies or points, consider it a negative going to a Lego store, and may be subject to burdensome taxes.

. . .
    FatMatt
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    The coupon I have expires on the 13th, so depending how strict the store is, by reading post on here most stores are very strict. You will not be able to use the coupon to get it with the free set,
    Is the Sept 10% off coupon still good? Is there one still in effect for Oct? I thought they expired at the end of Sept (thus replaced with double VIP).

Based on those numbers, yes, the LEGO store is cheaper, by a bit, if you want all of that. But I wouldn't call it a better deal, I'd call it about even.

But that's me. :)
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    To be fair @gmpirate I think there are definitely values to the freebies, but in your example your not taking into account any sales or post fees for getting the value off the freebies or the very YMMV nature of double promos these days in store (Getting both the trooper and Christmas set).

I think its a toss up for sure. I think potentially the best value one could get is to price match this one to TRU if your able to get the bricktober figure set, possibly with the promo poly as well. but again all of this is best case scenario which in the real world only happens every so often.
    @fenrisakashi sales or post fees? you mean Ebay and shipping fees?

Last year's Christmas set is selling for $30 fairly consistently right now and we are still a ways from the big day. My example posed $15 as cash back which more than covers selling fees. Shipping is charged on top of that which makes it a wash.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    Also to be fair to gmpirate he/she did say IMO from the very beginning. But I agree that a full explanation with numbers is more useful to everybody than just saying this or that is better. The freebies are of course a very subjective variable here, but at least now that all the factors are in the picture every individual can assign their own values to the variables.
    By the way MF has gone back up to $122.75
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    I would love to go to Toys R Us and price match their inflated price to Amazon just to see their expression when they see the price difference and to hear the multitude of excuses they will try to come up with to not price match, but alas I do not live anywhere near a Toys R Us.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    edited October 2013
    Up to $122.75 now
  • ckenda1ckenda1 Member Posts: 121
    10% off coupon from Fall Catalog expires this Sunday the 13th.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    I'll give them 10% now... the rest when we reach Aldaraan.

:oP
    Bumblepants
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ckenda1 said:

10% off coupon from Fall Catalog expires this Sunday the 13th.

It does? How would you know? ;)

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Back to $103
    pharmjod
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    Don't forget to calculate in the value of the time to take to make a trip to the Lego store and the cost of gas involved.