Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Bricktober Week 2

YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,020
http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7868

Valid Sunday October 6 through Saturday October 12, Toys R Us has several promotions running. Firstly, there is a Buy One, Get One 40% Off on ALL LEGO sets. And by ALL, Toys R Us is excluding Chima, Technic, Mindstorms and likely anything they consider a "Hot Deal" or "Hard to Find." Though it is certainly more difficult these days to find a good deal at TRU, it is not impossible. Do your best to find sets with as little markup as possible and then pair them with similarly priced sets to maximize your savings.

Additionally this week, you receive a Toys R Us exclusive minigifure set with ANY LEGO construction or LEGO board game purchase of $60 or more. Lastly, Toys R Us continues to offer 10% Back on Toy Purchases made through October for Rewards "R" Us members. The "rebate" is capped at $100 and will be emailed to you as a promotional gift card in mid November. "Rewards" dollars will apparently continue to accrue as well.

Don't forget that Toys R Us (like Target) is also now price matching most online prices in store, including their own. I will probably try it myself this month with Jabba's Palace (9516) and/or Constitution Train Chase (79111) via Amazon. I imagine the rebates and Rewards dollars will still accumulate and also hope to receive that week's giveaway.

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I would like to point out the adoration I have to the Brickset community for appearing to not give a crap about this TRU sale, nor give a crap about the hoops and hurdles you need to go through to get a relatively decent price at TRU (rewards, rebate shenanigans, bah).

At least I say this based on the fact that nobody is posting in this thread, except for me, which makes it kinda ironic.
    margot
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Stopped at TRU today. Out of curiosity I asked where the Bricktober sets were and was told "we're supposed to have them but we don't". Also noticed that the Kraangs that they were magically out of a few days ago when I qualified for a freebie, were now in abundance at the customer service desk, so I made them give me one. :-)
    Lastly, a grandmother overheard me comment about how marked up everything was, and she decided not to bite off on the BOGO 40% and to follow my advice over where to shop for her grandkid's Lego instead. I'd say my work is done here...
    Chang405klatu003pharmjodTheLoneTensorAnthonyC173SquareSidechromedigimurphquake
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    The BOGO 40% off was okay for the Friends animal sets my girls wanted ($4.99 seemed like the price everywhere else was charging). Also they had a giraffe head that was exclusive too for 4.99. It seems like the deal and prices work better on the smaller sets as the larger sets are way to high priced.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,020
    tensor said:

I would like to point out the adoration I have to the Brickset community for appearing to not give a crap about this TRU sale, nor give a crap about the hoops and hurdles you need to go through to get a relatively decent price at TRU (rewards, rebate shenanigans, bah).

At least I say this based on the fact that nobody is posting in this thread, except for me, which makes it kinda ironic.

I don't disagree but I woukd rather know about the sale and not participate. And many of us have gift cards to burn.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I agree as well. I was not suggesting that this not be posted, just that it was posted, most of us went "meh" and moved on.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    It's gotten to the point that I don't even read threads relating to Toys R Us sales....oh wait, you got me.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 802
    Picked up 2 City Helicopter Arrest sets. They were marked on shelf $49.99 which was LEGO retail so I ended up getting two for $80 plus tax, the free minifig collection and the 10% back holiday bonus. There is a promo good though the end of the week online for 15% off "save15" but I was told it might not work on LEGO but the employee was super helpful and got me the 15% off on something else for my son.

The sets I bought for myself were TRU exclusives and the LEGO Store hasn't had this for several months so even though they were purchased at TRU I scored both for $10 less than retail, getting them for 20% off.
    murphquake
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    TRUs in my area don't even have the minifig collections, just the meh BOGO 40%, at the same time they're running a BOGO 50% on Kre-o. Kind of makes you wonder what their priorities are.
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 339
    Found a couple of things worth buying today at TRU.

Robie House for $185.99
    Millennium Falcoln for $149.99/89.99 after 40% off

$275.98 pre tax plus the minifig set
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    edited October 2013
    margot said:

Lastly, a grandmother overheard me comment about how marked up everything was, and she decided not to bite off on the BOGO 40% and to follow my advice over where to shop for her grandkid's Lego instead. I'd say my work is done here...

During the BOGO50, I encountered a grandmother-daughter pair(?) loading up a cart FULL of Star Wars sets. Seriously, it looks like they were prepared to spend over $1k. I kindly excused myself and pointed out that those $150 Sail Barges and Jabba's Palace sets had MSRPs of $120 and could be had for closer to $100 from almost any other retailer. I explained how TRU sales worked how you have to be careful with their pricing antics. They appeared to be very "concerned." Hehehe. Don't know if they ended up buying anything or not, but they started discussing maybe going over to Target instead, as they were running the 20% sale on certain themes.
    I checked on pairing the Barrel Escape w/ something, but ended up leaving w/out making a purchase.
    chromedigi
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    Robie house: 179 and change via Amazon.
    LEGO Falcon: 119.99 via Amazon.
    I doubt you are getting anything for much cheaper at a BOGO50 via TRU.
    Yeah you miss out on the minifig set, but is it worth the annoyance of buying and showing TRU that their scheme works?

• LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652

margot said:

During the BOGO50, I encountered a grandmother-daughter pair(?) loading up a cart FULL of Star Wars sets. Seriously, it looks like they were prepared to spend over $1k. I kindly excused myself and pointed out that those $150 Sail Barges and Jabba's Palace sets had MSRPs of $120 and could be had for closer to $100 from almost any other retailer. I explained how TRU sales worked how you have to be careful with their pricing antics. They appeared to be very "concerned." Hehehe. Don't know if they ended up buying anything or not, but they started discussing maybe going over to Target instead, as they were running the 20% sale on certain themes.
    I checked on pairing the Barrel Escape w/ something, but ended up leaving w/out making a purchase.
    @starfailure- Let me see if I got this right. So you walked into a TRU, stirred up a little trouble, looked around...and then walked out. Is that about right? ;);););)
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    When you put it that way, it sounds like something we should do during every TRU bogo "sale"!
    adol7SquareSidepharmjod
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    i used the $5 tru bucks coupon that came the other day and walked out with 4 NYC marked up kraang polys for $10 and some change on monday... didn't see the giraffe but i know they're in other stores. passed on the coast guard plane again and didn't see anythign else worth spending on... im pretty good at killing mini turtles with the kraang flick fire... new profession maybe?
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 339

Found a couple of things worth buying today at TRU.

Robie House for $185.99
    Millennium Falcoln for $149.99/89.99 after 40% off

$275.98 pre tax plus the minifig set

OK, so I returned the above sets today, I guess they rang up the order incorrectly because the minifig set rand up at no charge so the clerk told me to keep that set.