Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Halloween 2013 (and yearly)

koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
I was hoping that there'd be a "surprise" monster fighters set around now. I figured TLG could capitalize on the popularity of Halloween and do a different "haunted" set every year in October (as they do around Christmas).

There's a lot to choose form, probably most notably the headless horseman--there's plenty that could be done there.

That aside, there are untapped monsters and creatures out there that would make a good basis for a set for Halloween.

I'm disappointed. I have no reason to be, as nothing was rumored, but I was still holding out some naive hope.

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 3,920
    Monster Fighters was a one-run only theme. I've heard it's being discontinued by the end of the year (TLG have probably already stopped making the sets), so I doubt they'd make a new set.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,916
    edited October 2013
    You mean a little mini pumpkin polybag isn't enough for you?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,302
    Headless horseman is either incredibly easy or difficult depending on how you do it. Just pull off a head and stick the minifig on a horse. But that leaves the neck. It is easy to moc with a hacksaw, but I doubt Lego would mould a neckless torso.
  • BrixyBrixy United statesMember Posts: 57
    The monster fighters brought me out of my dark ages. I too kept hoping for a surprise set, but in the meantime there is usually at least one figure from the CMF line that can work in the theme. I've also have a wish that they do Nightmare before Christmas as well.
    52scoobydoo
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 507
    Legoland Billund (DK) is making a
    "MonsterFighter" attraction. It'll be ready for next season... Not sure how that piece of info fits this talk, but still. :-)
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    prevere said:

You mean a little mini pumpkin polybag isn't enough for you?

Let's not get snarky now. Don't forget, Target has last year's Witch #40032 for sale again this year too! ;)

• BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Halloween is probably one of my favorite holidays to build MOCs around. Who needs LEGO to release a set?
    Furrysaurus
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,967
    Yes, I was surprised they did not go the Halloween yearly set route.
    Having said that, we added a corn field with scarecrow, pumpkin field and carrot field. I used two fo the fall sets and created a mini fall forest scene, and added a fawn, hedgehog. Then we have out the Thanksgiving table. It is not quite the Halloween set, but it definitely adds a bit of 'fall' touch with just the few items out from this year.
    prevereklatu003
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Got to admit Monster Fighters was a major reason me and my partner started collecting Lego again and the Haunted House was our gateway drug to buying many more expensive sets like the modular buildings :)

It's a shame to see it go, I hope it's a theme we see again in the future in one way or another. Does anyone know how popular it was? how well the theme did in general?
    Nice though they were, a lot of the MF sets had to be discounted to sell (except the Zombies and HH).
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,916
    tamamahm said:

Yes, I was surprised they did not go the Halloween yearly set route.
    Having said that, we added a corn field with scarecrow, pumpkin field and carrot field. I used two fo the fall sets and created a mini fall forest scene, and added a fawn, hedgehog. Then we have out the Thanksgiving table. It is not quite the Halloween set, but it definitely adds a bit of 'fall' touch with just the few items out from this year.

Boy, that is a great idea. A yearly set much like the Winter Village Series would be perfect.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I'm actually surprised that they didn't keep Monster Fighters out until Halloween, for just that reason.

They are already gone from the shelf plans of LEGO stores ( and have been since the summer ).

Is Halloween not celebrated in Europe like it is in the US?
    ^ No, not to the same extent.
    ^And the little pumpkin poly is already sold out. The witch sold out early last year as well. That should be a clue that the Begger's Night crowd is hungry for more plastic candy!
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I was at the mall of America store yesterday and all of the Monster Fighter sets were pushed off in the corner where they usually have the clearance sets/random gear. It made me kinda sad, MF was fun little theme. It didn't look like any of the sets were marked down, which then made me even more sad.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited October 2013
    CCC said:

Headless horseman is either incredibly easy or difficult depending on how you do it. Just pull off a head and stick the minifig on a horse. But that leaves the neck. It is easy to moc with a hacksaw, but I doubt Lego would mould a neckless torso.

If we're talking an officially made one, I'd prefer a big fat pumpkin head on him (made broader than a regular fig head), and then carrying regular fig head sized 'flaming-pumpkins' bricks that he'd throw at people, in trans orange... bit like this:

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4511895

Also, if they continued the theme, how about a set featuring some freaky blonde vacant-expression school children! wowoowoooooooooh. :oP

They know aawwwl yor secrets!
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    prevere said:

^And the little pumpkin poly is already sold out. The witch sold out early last year as well. That should be a clue that the Begger's Night crowd is hungry for more plastic candy!

Last year's Witch #40032 is available at Target now.

^Thanks. The witch has some great parts. Good deal for $5.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Wow, I am surprised that the pumpkin didn't even make it halfway through the month of October. I was planning on getting one, but oh well.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,423
    I love Shocktober. One of my favorite months. I met my future wife October 31st. Plus, I love Halloween and horror movies.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Just to claarify, I didn't think MF would continue, but I thought that given the popularity of the HH and Halloween in general, TLG might actually make a yearly Halloween set.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 884

They are already gone from the shelf plans of LEGO stores ( and have been since the summer ).

The new store in Belgium had a pretty big display of Monster Fighters. My wife ended up buying the Haunted House even though I'm the Lego fan and she was only tagging along.
    If nothing else I'm surprised they don't keep a few years of Haunted House stock and just put it out on the shelves near each Halloween.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    CCC said:
    You know he was talking about something more substantial than polybag trinkets.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,135
    I think the MF theme is a clear winner overall for TLG, why they chose not let it fade into the sunset, especially around this time of year who knows. There is a ton of mention regarding the HH; I think the HH is a standout and standalone set. I agree TLG should have done some sort of marketing promotion, heck, even a "halloween" type minifigure free with any order over XX.XX would seem logical. None the less, given the popularity of halloween in the U.S. and yes, other places around the world, I still think TLG sees it as a one and done release and have other priorities to focus on now.
    Does this mean we'll get an Easter series, maybe Bunny Fighters? :)
    sidersddcarlq
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    LegoMom1 said:

Last year's Witch #40032 is available at Target now.

And at TRU
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    edited October 2013

Like this? He's about to open up a carrot of whup-a**.
    LegoFanTexasSarahIsabella
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

Like this? He's about to open up a carrot of whup-a**.
    And this.

HarryPotterLoverTheLoneTensorchromedigicarlqjasorklatu003Penkid11tamamahmLegoboy
    I now have a song in my head called "Bunny Fighters" sung to the tune of "Power Rangers".

Sigh...
    edited October 2013
    tensor said:

CCC said:
    I hope not. I'd hate to have a slightly different haunted house every year.

Small seasonal sets (be they seasons or holiday sets such as Easter and Thanksgiving) are great for a small gift.

It will be interesting what happens when Lego expands into Asia. Will there be more Asian holiday sets? We have the Year of the Snake already. I hope to see more of those style sets in the coming years.
    edited October 2013
    CCC said:

It will be interesting what happens when Lego expands into Asia. Will there be more Asian holiday sets? We have the Year of the Snake already. I hope to see more of those style sets in the coming years.

I can imagine more Chinese zodiac sets coming along. And I already interpret Ninjago and the whole "Chi" business in Chima as attempts to make the brand more Asian-friendly... at least East Asian. But Asia is a big place. I wonder if/when we'll ever see things with more of a South or Southeast Asian feel to them. But whether we'll ever see polybags for Asian holidays like Tet offered in the west (even if TLG ends up making them for the Asian market) doesn't strike me as terribly likely for the forseeable future. (Plus, there's TLG's general avoidance of all things religious to consider.) In the US, I could well see a new wave of Latin-American themed polys coming into existence, however.
    ^ I'll look forward to the Mongolian Camel Herder line.
    chromedigi
    Xefan said:

^ I'll look forward to the Mongolian Camel Herder line.

I assume that is written in jest, but if they did an ancient warriors line, it would sell very well.

We have already seen Spartans, Romans and Samurai in CMF, as well as knights and vikings, but I can imagine ancient Chinese warriors, Mongolian horsemen, and so on.
    I was actually thinking modern herders, complete with camel milking kit and musical camel healer minifig, but yes I was joking :)

I think your Mongolian warrior idea would probably sell better, though a Camel fur portable police and fire station complete with colourful rugs and AK47s would add an interesting twist to the City line.
    edited October 2013

I now have a song in my head called "Bunny Fighters" sung to the tune of "Power Rangers".

While watching this.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    CCC said:

tensor said:

CCC said:
    I hope not. I'd hate to have a slightly different haunted house every year.

Small seasonal sets (be they seasons or holiday sets such as Easter and Thanksgiving) are great for a small gift.

How about an opera stage/curtain etc. and a Phantom of the Opera; a Headless Horseman, Ichabod Crane complete with a bridge, forest, and cottage; a clocktower (since they won't do a cathedral or churchtower) that's haunted; a haunted pirate ship (ghost pirates); haunted amusement park... There are a lot of permutations and variations--not just a slightly different haunted house every year.

And it doesn't have to be (and imho, shouldn't be) a MF set--it can be a stand alone much like we have for Christmas (this year's carousel; last year's village; etc.).
    Halloween is not that big a deal or festival worldwide. I think a $150 set every year for Halloween is over the top.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^True. My European colleagues describe it as getting more attention nowadays, but not anywhere close to what we have going on for it in the States. Especially not the 'adult' angle of costuming/partying at clubs and such. It's still a domestic party that hasn't caught on globally.
    CCC said:

Halloween is not that big a deal or festival worldwide.

Yet.

jasor
    It's gaining in popularity in Russia, which is why there has been a conservative backlash against it there recently. I've been told that "they celebrate it with neophytes' enthusiasm," too.
    Just received an e-mail from [email protected] promoting Monster Fighters for this year's Halloween.

Some of the items are still in stock, the train, HH, and werewolf, with a few others sold out or "call to check" tags.

Either they are trying to clear out the rest of it, or perhaps they'll keep some of it website only for awhile, who knows...
    CCC said:

Halloween is not that big a deal or festival worldwide. I think a $150 set every year for Halloween is over the top.

Has anyone mentioned a $150 set every year, though? Even the yearly WV line is not at that rate.

I would have been happy seeing a cool $40-$60 set.

There really are a ton of cool Fall/Halloween sets they could have done.
    The implication was for a set like HH and not a polybag. Of course there is room in the middle. Why do a medium / large holiday set for Halloween, when that is the time they will be advertising winter sets. And there are other holidays too, and other seasons. Why not similar larger sets for those rather than polybags?
    edited October 2013
    Polybags are great, and I genuinely hope they continue for Halloween. I used the #30201 Ghosts last year for the really special trick or treaters (i.e. close friends). I do think that the Umbaran MHC is a lousy choice for a "Halloween" poly at Target though.

I would think there's a great market for annual sets in the range of the initial Winter Village sets ~$60. There are lots of possibilities that have already been noted, my favorite being the Headless Horseman set with Ichabod and the covered bridge.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,135
    Remember the days of the original $60 winter village sets? Ahhh, the good ol' times. :( :(
    CCC said:

The implication was for a set like HH and not a polybag. Of course there is room in the middle. Why do a medium / large holiday set for Halloween, when that is the time they will be advertising winter sets. And there are other holidays too, and other seasons. Why not similar larger sets for those rather than polybags?

I had meant to come back to this one and forgot.
    It is interesting, because everyone reads things different ways.
    I never read the implication of a set like HH.

In fact, my reading this
    "I figured TLG could capitalize on the popularity of Halloween and do a different "haunted" set every year in October (as they do around Christmas)."

indicated to me the OP was originally talking about a set in that $50-$100 range.

If the reply was in reference to the thread in general, there was still this comment, it also indicated to me a small set than the HH.
    "And it doesn't have to be (and imho, shouldn't be) a MF set--it can be a stand alone much like we have for Christmas (this year's carousel; last year's village; etc.)."

In anycase, I think we had different readings. *shrug*

Why do a medium set for Halloween, when that is the time they will be advertising winter sets? Because you advertise it earlier. Advertise it 2-3 months earlier like they do the winter sets.

I do think the larger issue, though, is simply that Halloween is a far more 'American' market and it doesn't have that global element. In addition, there is a far better known business for "holiday town displays" than there are "Halloween displays". When you add in that MF did need to be clearanced off some, then overall a yearly Halloween display they probably never saw as viable. I am just happy they at least made the HH.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,892
    It should be noted that the way Halloween is celebrated, even in the United States, is pretty different than how Christmas is celebrated. Christmas is very often celebrated with the extended family, and thus it is common to have invite guests over for Christmas. This means that you have to decorate not just the outside of your house but also the inside. Unless you are hosting a Halloween party, most of the visitors to your house for that holiday are trick-or-treaters who are not likely to come inside your house.

The Winter Village sets are designed with usefulness as display pieces in mind. They can be a part of your elaborate Christmas decor. But the majority of Halloween decorations are designed for outdoors, meaning a LEGO set would not be ideal for that function.

A holiday that is celebrated more like Christmas in the U.S. is Thanksgiving. But Thanksgiving is not a global holiday, and even the countries that have their own Thanksgiving holiday celebrate it at different times of the year depending on what they mean to commemorate and how it lines up with other national holidays. Plus, American Thanksgiving is close enough to Christmas that the market might not be able to bear another major holiday set so near the release of their Christmas offerings. The best the LEGO Group can do for holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving is to release small impulse sets that they can clear out quickly and efficiently.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Now that we have the haunted mansion I would be happy to get more accessories, such as fencing, headstones, gnarled trees, etc.