Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] LEGO Store November Promotions (Pick-A-Brick Box)

neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 82
edited October 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
There's 2 promotions in November:

Free Pick-A-Brick Box with $75 purchase from 11/1-12/24
2013 Holiday Set [Part 2 of 2] (40083) with $99 purchase from 11/29-12/2

klatu003

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    What's Holiday set 1/2...when's it available?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited October 2013

What's Holiday set 1/2...when's it available?

#40082. October 14 through October 31.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Thanks...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    The mini build for the month looks a bit boring. Hoping for a brick-built maple leaf or something nature-like.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Does this mean no Black Friday scratcher cards? It's not mentioned. They talk about "surprise deals" and the $1000 shopping spree. My interpretation is what used to be 10, 20, or 50 for everyone will now be $1000 for one person per store. Pure speculation. Any insiders want to comment?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    That's exactly what it sounds like to me too on the death of the scratchers and the replacement lottery. The surprise deals are probably the usual handful of discounted older items
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited October 2013
    DadsAFOL said:

My interpretation is what used to be 10, 20, or 50 for everyone will now be $1000 for one person per store.

The text reads "up to $1,000", which to me implies multiple winners at various levels. Perhaps instead of giving discounts, the scratch-offs will be gift cards for a range of values up to $1000.
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the Free Pick-A-Brick Box?
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    binaryeye said:

Perhaps instead of giving discounts, the scratch-offs will be gift cards for a range of values up to $1000.

That would make sense, especially if TLG is sticking to not discounting its high ticket items - they wouldn't have to reprogram the POS system just for the weekend to allow discounts to be applied to those items then; you can use the gift card towards one of those items without them actually being discounted.

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the Free Pick-A-Brick Box?

A small box that you can use later to fill with bricks from the pick a brick wall.

tfranklin84madforLEGO
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    richl said:

binaryeye said:

Perhaps instead of giving discounts, the scratch-offs will be gift cards for a range of values up to $1000.

That would make sense, especially if TLG is sticking to not discounting its high ticket items - they wouldn't have to reprogram the POS system just for the weekend to allow discounts to be applied to those items then; you can use the gift card towards one of those items without them actually being discounted.

That is one possibility. Or, the managers may be given permission to do an over-ride for the discount during this event.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ the most likely scenario was that if they stuck with the 10/20/50 model, with exclusives were not discountable. Someone realized the confusion, disappointment, and anger this would likely cause among a large amount of customers on that day, and decided to convert it to a store credit type giveaway instead.
    Yellowcastle
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,899
    Plus, store credit should still count toward anything so it sounds like a good chance to get discounted exclusives.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    edited October 2013
    ^ still, it is not guaranteed that every customer will get a gift card or store credit. Most probably will not. With the 10/20/50 scratch cards, everybody was getting something. Brick Friday sounds a lot less appealing this way. I'll still go for the free set, but will only spend the $100 to get it. That's it!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I spent over $8K on Brick Friday last year at my local LEGO store, buying mostly EOL stuff and items they had plenty of, taking no more than 5 of any one item.

This year? Probably nothing. And I imagine TLG wants it that way. :(
  • weevinweevin Member Posts: 34
    My guess is that they will not use this implementation, but theoretically they could scratchers that still gave the same % discounts as a gift card/shopping spree. For example, if you get a 20% scratcher, you spend $5k and BAM! you have a $1000 shopping spree applied to your purchase, and this would probably avoid the no-discount-on-exclusives logic in their registers too. Different wording, same result *crosses fingers*.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Yep sounds like no scratchies this year. Think I will do all of my shopping this month.

Wonder if they will still do the special invitational pre BF event for their best customers (at least the ones that have not been banned lol) ?
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    edited October 2013
    The more I think, the less compelled I am to spend money on Brick Friday at all. Just by imagining that only a couple of years ago I got Emerald Night, Imperial Flagship, Tantive IV and WV Toy Shop at nice discounts plus scratch-offs, and endeded up scoring also a Fire Brigade with the scratch off discount and a bunch of minor City sets on sale and plenty of SW unglued magnets... The free PAB boxes were just the icing on the cake... a nice little extra. Oh boy those were the days... I dont expect to see anyhthing near that this year.

I am hoping AFOLs ignore Brick Friday this year to the point that it affects their sales, so they can change for the future.
    chromedigiBrickDancer
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    Ha, doubtful
    coolpix said:

I am hoping AFOLs ignore Brick Friday this year to the point that it affects their sales, so they can change for the future.

I was hoping that too. Then I realized even though a lot of sets are going to be warming the shelves for a long time with the change in policy all they have to do is put that nice little "retiring soon" tag on them and they will fly off the shelves at full RRP. This has been a long time in the making. Well played.

• NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    I want to stay away from Brick Friday. And usually I would have bought quite a few sets. This year I think I will find myself at a Lego Store, but only buying enough to get the free Christmas set. That's it!
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Well, I will not be there BF. The only thing
  • Squatch7752Squatch7752 Member Posts: 1
    Lego store employee said no Black Friday scratch offs this year.
    Anyword on the reseller pre-invitational?
    SquareSidedougtsFollowsClosely
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^Hahaha. Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coco pops when I read that one. Well, I have had my laugh for today. Thanks @doriansdad.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,020
    Hopefully those of us with solid connections to LEGO Store managers will ferret out more details regarding Brick Friday.
    LegoMom1
    edited October 2013
    I really like this year's bonus sets. They go great with the WV theme, which I think was TLG's intention.

• roobixroobix Member Posts: 4
    Newbie question but is double VIP points better than pa pick a brick box?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^Really depends on what type of Lego-lover you are. If you want lots of parts for building, then a free box is pretty good; but if you want discounts on future purchases of sets, go with 2x VIP.
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    Just thinking about the P-A-B box, how big will it be, and how much will it be to fill with bricks?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    The last 2 years, you could fit a 11x11x9 studs block in it with room on top
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    PaB Box is useful for the 1x2 Masonry brick if your store has then :-)
    I have been waiting for my Lego Store to get the masonry brick in stock! I would fill up a whole large container if I ever found them...

So, last year, was there an extra charge for the P-A-B's once you filled the box, or were they free after you spent the $XX and you got the box?
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    They were free to fill once and then they would mark through the bar code to keep it from being scanned again.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    It it free, but can only be filled up after Christmas. So you get an empty box at the time of purchase and will need another trip to the store early 2014 to fill it.
    Ah, thanks for the info!
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 292
    Dose anyone know of stores optting out of the nov./dec. stuff. The olando store told me they were not doing anything the next two monuths.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 296
    If I happened to spend $100, could I get both the Pick a Brick box and the truck?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^Yes. Probably. Yes.
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    @norm103 Ask for a manager or regional managers number, that sounds like BS by an employee who either doesnt know or doesnt care.