Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Open Source Catalog

DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
edited September 2013 in Everything else LEGO
@caperberry posted a very nice summary of issues facing the AFOL community regarding 20 years of contributions towards a "standard" LEGO catalog.

newelementary.com/2013/09/bricks-inc.html

I won't repeat what he wrote - he said it better than I could. What I would like to propose is some cross-site collaboration between BrickSet, BrickOwl, Peeron, LDRAW, etc. to define a new "standard" catalog. BrickLink could be invited to participate at their discretion, but if they choose to isolate themselves then we will have an alternate option to use as a community.
chromedigiBumblepantsCCCJosephaimlesspursuitsCoolsplashkylejohnson11

Comments

• chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    In the absence of TLG finally opening up its parts catalog, I think you've hit on the only other way out of this quandary. It's not ideal, though: we go from having two dialects to three, when it would be in the community's best interest to end up with one. What a nightmare.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,207
    It would be great to have an open source catalogue, free of corporations or companies, kept up to date by members of the community, free from over aggressive catmins refusing to believe that people have items despite having taken photos of them or experience enough to be able to tell colours apart. Let it be Wikipedia style, where users can change it, but have a history in case of wrecking. The problem with allowing a single person to approve amendments is that the power goes to their head and it can take months for them to approve submissions.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 549
    Funnily enough I had the same thought...
    kylejohnson11
    edited September 2013
    I wonder how Bricklink are going to handle Christophe Bartneck's books. These mention copyright material, but do not credit BL in the list of companies that hold these copyrights.

The books include bricklink names, and also divulge BL price data, in contravention to their new clause 8.

8. User Obligations for the Content/Data:
    You acknowledge and agree not to distribute, disclose, upload, or transfer to any third party any content or data you receive from or which is displayed on the Site, which includes but is not limited to the inventory data files in the form of XML, CVS, or Tab-Delimited format, except when this is required for the operation of your BrickLink store.

(Bold is mine)

I assume that sort of data will now need to be licensed to appear in print.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,095
    edited September 2013
    Is there any reason the think the Lego group can/would step in and say "You guys are idiots, you can't copyright names for our toys, cease and desist."? I get that images can be copyrighted but part numbers and the like seem a bit absurd for someone who isn't Lego to claim as theirs.
    They do add one of the letters in many of the part name identifiers, and many of the minifigs are named by them. Remember here that lego do not make / list / catalogue minifigs, they just issue the parts in their sets.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Taxonomy for minifigs is a BL construct. Fortunately we have an independent taxonomy created by Dr. Bartneck (referenced above) that could replace it.

As for decorated parts, when the px###/pb### construct was created, Lego did not expose their element IDs. Now that they do, each decorated element has a unique element ID number that is a child of the mold number. I think the pb### could be dropped.