Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Wijnegem/Belgium store

AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 796
Visited the new store this morning and I was a little disappointed to be honest. I had a voucher for an exclusive minifigure gift and expected it to be a packaged set like had been offered at most (all?) previous new store openings. Sadly, after spending €280 I was told that the voucher was only for a free pack of figures from the build-a-figure stand. After being delayed due to the store being so busy we couldn't afford to spend any more time to claim the gift.

They also wouldn't give us a monthly mini build when asked unless we were prepared to build it there and then, despite it being obvious that several people there were just picking them up and walking off with them, sometimes 2-3 at a time, right in front of the person we asked.

There were also no prices on the shelves, I'm not sure if this is normal but we had to pick products up to check the price stickers placed on the underside edge.

Overall I was a little underwhelmed by the customer service but I've often felt customer service in Belgium is terrible at the best of times. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old git :)

I've never been to a Lego store before so can't compare, but this store seemed to have every product currently available at [email protected] and was very bright and spacious. The staff clearly had their hands full though as the place was packed, much to the surprise of other shoppers who were no doubt wondering why so many adults were crowding around a toy store!
CCC

Comments

• JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,382
    There is usually a Grand Opening after the store has been open for a few weeks, I'm assuming that it wasn't today as they generally run from Friday to Sunday with a t-shirt, LEGO store and minifigure set given away on each of those days. Don't despair of the mini figure set just yet.

How monthly minibuilds are run varies greatly from store to store. I think there are quite a few rules that just may not be followed by the more relaxed stores, give your store some time to figure out what works for them. For example at least one store in the US strictly enforces the 5-year-old minimum age, my local one does not.

The prices on the bottom of the boxes seems standard, it's how I've seen it done in the US, UK and France. You're an AFOL, you should have them all memorized at this point anyhow :).

I'd give them another chance before deciding that they just suck, opening a store like that is quite difficult, especially as they do tend to get mobbed right from the beginning, there isn't really such a thing as a soft opening for a LEGO store. Also take the time to get to know the employees if you're there on a quiet day, this pays off in so many ways. My local store had a very prickly assistant manager but six months after opening I heard him actually make a joke! :)

Anyhow, I'm terribly jealous you have even an unfriendly LEGO store so near, I currently live 6 hours drive from the Paris store and have been suffering PAB wall withdrawal ever since I got back from Britain in August. I hope you have a better visit next time.
    AleyditaSirKevbags
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 288
    The specials for this store opening will happen around 6 till 9 november.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    A bit weird. Why so late after the initial opening?
  • legofanfromleedslegofanfromleeds legoland...England Member Posts: 368
    Hardrada said:

A bit weird. Why so late after the initial opening?

every new lego store has what they call a soft opening . Followed by the grand opening when theve found there feet a little.. its well worth the wait and encourage any one to attend the grand opening.. from what ive read this will happen in november.. starting on the friday and ends on the Sunday. . Lots of freebies given away to the first lucky few thru the door's
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 288
    Opening right now was together with the opening of the extra new shops in the shopping center : already reason one to customers.

October = double VIP points = reason number two for extra customers for month three

November = specials for the 'real' opening = a thirth month why customers will come back

:-)

every new lego store has what they call a soft opening . Followed by the grand opening when theve found there feet a little.. its well worth the wait and encourage any one to attend the grand opening..

I know that the Grand Opening is not right at the opening of the store but it's usually only 1-2 weeks later, not 1.5 months. Maybe they didn't want it to collide with the double VIP period.

And I think the Grand Opening weekend will run from Thursday to Saturday as the shopping centre seems to be closed on most Sundays.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 796
    Sunday shopping isn't allowed in Belgium :)
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 796

Bit of a queue at the last day of the Grand Opening today.... queue finally ended around 11.30ish. The young employee at the door said they were not expecting anything like this. I'm not sure exactly what but there was a Lego event going on nearby so I guess a big crowd was no surprise.
    I had a quite different experience at the Wien, Donau Centrum grand opening this weekend. Crowds were very low for such an event. There were a lot less people than at the SCS store's opening in August. (And even that was less packed than your picture.) At opening time about 50 people were waiting on both the brand store and minifigure set giveaway days. On Saturday at 11am they seemed to have about half of the 300 giveways left after the crowd subsided. They might have lasted through most of the day.

It was weirdly quiet after the relatively busy SCS opening and after the huge crowd at a monobrand store opening (with inferior gifts) in Budapest.

And we got an exclusive minifigure set specific for the location.