Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

that's not a MOC... THIS is a MOC

Comments

• BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    edited September 2013
    I love stuff like this, but it also just seems so overwhelming. There's just so much detail crammed in to these types of MOCs that I never feel like anything short of seeing them in person really does the project justice.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    The problem with a MOC like this is that when the wife files for divorce, she gets half of it.
    y2joshmressincarlqScottlego667TheBigLegoskiicey117LegoFollowsClosely
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,225
    The size is impressive, but sometimes you lose something on going that big. It also becomes easier to build on that scale (if you have enough bricks), as less ingenuity is needed to get something to work on a larger scale, as the model becomes orders of magnitude larger than the pieces making it.

I'm also not a fan of mixing fleshies with yellow skins.

As noted above, they never look as good in photos than in real life.
    icey117
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Imagine dusting that thing.
    chromedigi
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Would be great for wargaming!
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    That's a lot of "normal" size Helms deep sets.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    *Craps in pants*

Wow.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    edited September 2013
    Wow! Really dude? Wow!

1700 minifigs!

I started collecting Lego a little over 3 years ago, no way I am even close to that number of minifigs, let alone so many of the same. I thought I had a lot of Urak-hai minifigures, having gone berserk and ending up buying two Helms deep sets, and six of those Uruk-hai army sets. Superlatives fall short in expressing the extend in which this surpasses any other MOC I have seen in terms of minifig count and size.

Did this guy by any chance take a second mortgage in order to finance his hobby?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    If we are turning this into a contest, this is a MOC:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126969

I saw it in person at STEAM a couple of years ago and images really do not do this behemoth justice! :o)
    BrickDancerBulkheadX
    @CapnRex101
    Yeah, well no one will deny that that isn't an impressive MOC, but it would have helped for all those who just have to make due with the images on the web, to really make a jaw dropping impact, if the builder had asked a pin-up model (for esthetic reasons) to lie down next to that boat and pose. Without it, the behemothic magnitude is somewhat lost on the spectator. Unless you make a whale pose next to it, but then the behemoth factor will have shifted to elsewhere.

This MOC does not require any of that, as the minifigs are, like a marauding ant colony, omnipresent in that landscape.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    It still would be nice to see some sense of (human) scale in the Helm's Deep MOC. This Orthanc MOC, for example, looks mighty impressive because a sense of scale is given:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/onelug/6191547270/in/photostream/
    TheBigLegoskiBulkheadX
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,247
    ^ The carrier has figs all over it to show the scale. Maybe because it is so huge and the figs seem smaller that it is harder to notice. A sea of minifigs can skew your perspective on how big the actual build is because seeing 1700 minifigs makes your brain think of things differently. Like those optical illusions where there are a bunch of circles that look different sizes but are actually all the same.
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    wow those are both crazy too... would love to try something like that... now to collect Lego for 50 years.... or win the lottery ;D
    @graphite
    your comment reminds of some things I saw while watching an episode of this quite interesting show on NGC:
    natgeotv.com/uk/brain-games
    And yes, I am very well aware of the size of the actual build, however there is no optical illusion at neurological level at work here. Only the power of imagination, which is triggered, and fed through memory and love of and for Tolkien's novel, and Peter Jackson's LOTR movies, much more intense by the Helms-deep MOC personally, than the naval vessel.

As beautifully executed the aircraft carrier is, it remains somewhat dull and bland (at least on photo), since it is essentially one big mass of light grey. The landscape of Helms deep suffers from this too, and this MOC would be less compelling if it wasn't for all those minifigs which make it come alive.

Here is a picture of 35.310 Lego Star Wars clone troopers, an impressive number, yet I don't find those as awe inspiring either, as those Helms deep MOC pictures that tell a story. The pictures very vividly radiate action and drama in my minds-eye. Perhaps there is a beautiful story to tell about the Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier, but those pictures do not evoke any such a tale, and thus do not draw me in. It is of course all very subjective. I guess aircraft carriers do not appeal much to me, unless when I imagine myself as a pilot landing or taking off in one those yets.
    BulkheadX