Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

IOS 7 - Logging out of Brickset

princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
OK, I held off on posting this for a few days as I really didn't want to kick off a whole Apple Fans vs Apple Haters off topic, but:
I upgraded to IOS 7 recently on my iPhone and ever since have had to log on to Brickset at least every 3-4 times I view the site on my phone, which is ALOT!

Has anyone else had this issue? Or upgraded and not had the issue? Or any tips on anything I can try to stop this issue?

Cheers,

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    edited September 2013
    I've not seen it happen on my recently upgraded iPad, on the forum or the main site.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited September 2013
    Would say it has happened at least 6-7 times today.. :-(
    Never happened at all on IOS 6
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332

Or any tips on anything I can try to stop this issue?

Get a decent phone? :-)

Sorry couldn't resist!

^ Oooooh, you, not even tempted to bite back :-)
  • Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 117
    No issues here. Everything is working perfectly as normal.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

Would say it has happened at least 6-7 times today.. :-(
    Never happened at all on IOS 6

I can back this up as the same has been happening to me over the past couple of days. I just thought the site was glitching and went on about my way. I never even considered that it could have been the iOS 7 upgrade but now that I think about it - thats when it started.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    What amazes me is that Apple reports 200 million devices were upgraded to iOS 7 in the first week.

That is nuts, I never upgrade that soon, always wait for a patch or two, let everyone else be the day 1 testers.

Did anyone learn anything from years of Windows updates? :)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    Well, there you are then: @cheshirecat's advice is sound :)
    @LegoFanTexas Have all the new functionality and faster response vs 1 tiny issue (if it is indeed IOS7 that is causing it), I know which way I will go.
    Comparing Apple IOS and MS Windows is like comparing Lego and [email protected] ;-)
    ^ Hey, be nice... Apple iOS isn't as bad as Megablok! :)

For what it is worth, Windows 7 has been the single, sole exception to the rule. XP was really long in the tooth and Vista was a mess for a long time (fixed finally, mostly, but really worth skipping).

I played with the Consumer Preview of 7 for a month on a spare machine, it was really what we had all waited for, so day 1 7 was on my main machine and I've never looked back. It only took Microsoft 25 years to get it right. :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    @princedraven - have you tried to see if the problem is happening across browsers, perhaps try chrome if you haven't already?
    ^ Good thinking, downloading now, it has happened pretty much everytime I have opened the website today, well over a dozen times, actually given up opening on my phone as its so annoying. So really hope this resolves it.
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    All working here ATM!
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    @princedraven have you tried clearing your browsing data, cookies, etc? I had this problem a few months back and that sorted it... I'm on iOS 7 on an iPad 3 and iPhone 4S with no issues this far??!

G
    hmm, more good thinking, just cleared them so will report back :-)
  • flecskiflecski Member Posts: 76

XP was really long in the tooth . . .

(Win7) It only took Microsoft 25 years to get it right. :)

It was less than 25 years. XP was long in the tooth because it actually did most things right and people were so afraid of going to Vista.

But I agree, 7 has been pretty stable.

Flec
    XP was good after awhile, but people have funny memories...

SP2 (2004) is when most of its problems were fixed, the released version had its fair share of issues, and it required some powerful hardware at the time of launch, much like Vista. SP1 was a minor fix and SP3 is mostly a long series of roll-up hotfixes patched together, SP2 was almost a new OS and really could have been released as a "new" OS (with some face paint to make people feel "ahh new shiny")

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/10/ten-years-of-windows-xp-how-longevity-became-a-curse/

Worth reading to remind ourselves that XP wasn't all sunny flowers the first 2 years it was out.

-------------------

Vista's biggest single problem is that it was released 8 months early. Drivers weren't ready, software wasn't ready, a lot of back end changes were made that broke a lot of stuff. Most of it was fixed within a year, but that first year really sticks out.

Vista today is actually very close to being a clone of Windows 7, under the hood the two are nearly identical, save for a few minor differences. Windows 7 is really the Service Pack 2 for Vista, that SP2 for XP was, fixing the problems and cleaning it up for everyone.

-------------------

Windows 8? Blah, don't even get me started. The under the hood improvements are nice, but the interface is trash, and yes I've used it, for a month, it sucks for a non-touch display. Back on Windows 7, happy as a clam, waiting for Windows 9 to go back to the proper desktop interface. :)
    Right so clearing history and cookies did not help at all!!

Talking in detail about Windows also did not help al all!

Chrome showing no signs of having the same issue so far.
    edited September 2013
    I haven't pinned down what causes the logout yet, it's really random. The thing is I'm not *really* logged out. At least in my case, the forum presents itself as if I have been logged out. The sign in link is visible, etc. All I have to do though is click the home link at the top of the page and poof! - the page refreshes and I'm logged in.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited September 2013
    I use Chrome on iOS7 and have had no issues with logging out. It is worth pointing out that I had issues with Brickset when using Safari on iOS6 logging out, and also not being able to log back in again, so it may not be entirely down to iOS7.

It's a shame actually as I'd quite like to give Safari another go on iOS7 because it seems to be significantly improved in some key areas, it is certainly a hell of a lot quicker than Chrome on iOS7.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    I use safari on an iPad, updated to iOS7 yesterday and now have the same situation as @CircleK where I appear logged out, but press the forum link and I'm back. I think it happens when I go back a page.
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 396
    @scrumper @circlek have you got private browsing enabled? I had it enabled a while back and it kept signing me out.
    ^ I do not. As @scrumper stated, it has something to do with going back or switching between multiple browsers. I haven't spent a lot of time investigating it as I only have iOS7 on my phone. I haven't upgraded my iPad yet.
    @jasonord69a You have solved my problem, thank you so much!
    Didn't know anything about private browsing, must be a new thing, but switched off and now all working peachy!!
    Thanks again.