Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Animation

AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
I want to make a Lego animation for my animation project in college to show a moral or twist. I have seen some brickfilms by Brotherhood Workshop however I need some tips on creating brickfilms.

I don't have a huge Lego collection but some sets that I may use:
-Diagon Alley
-The Forbidden Forest
-Freeing Dobby
-Metropolois Showdown
-Black Zero Escape
-Battle of Smallville
-Iron Man: Ultimate Showdown
-Extremis Sea Port Battle
-Malibu Mansion Attack
-Minecraft Micro World: The Forest
-Minecraft Micro World: The Village (Getting on October 3rd)
-Minecraft Micro World: The Nether (Getting on October 3rd)
-Collectible Minifigures

Note: I don't intend to buy more Lego sets or parts and just use what I have, so would a backdrop be good to use to give depth.

I will very much appreciate it, thanks.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,242
    What do you want? Tips on how to make them, or what to put in them?

You can try looking in the photography and video section for tips on creating them ...

http://www.bricksetforum.com/categories/photography
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    @CCC, both really.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 839
    edited September 2013
    The forums and resources area at brickfilms.com have a lot of good information about the sort of thing that you might want.

Bear in mind that actually you don't really need that much skill or a huge amount of bricks to make a brickfilm either. The brickfilms that I have heard the most non-Lego people talk about are the 'death star canteen' ones set to an Eddie Izzard performance - there are actually several versions of them knocking around as people have hopped on the bandwagon - and the animation in those is pretty poor, the scenery basic, but the story is good!
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2013
    Here's my advice: it's very easy to just spend a little bit of time taking pictures, sticking them together on Windows Movie Maker and recording some dialogue as you go, but, even if it takes all day, that will usually look fairly rubbish.

You have to spend a lot of time taking pictures (my brother and I found that 6 frames per second is the bare minimum for smoothness of movement), and it would be good to have some sort of tripod, as at that sort of speed, you really notice any 'wobble' between frames.

If you're filming at different times of day, find a way to keep your lighting consistent (unless you need it to change), as that is also quite noticeable if it changes abruptly.

As for sound? I haven't found a good way of doing that. One thing I can tell you is that you probably want decent scripting before-hand, so it doesn't sound as though you're making it up as you go along. The other thing would be that a typical laptop microphone probably isn't good enough.

I'm by no means a professional or anything, these are just some tips that I've discovered in my amateur adventures!
    Adzbadboy