Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego City 2014

Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
After having a look through a 2014 Lego catalogue, I can announce which 2014 city sets will be released next year.

The police sets look very much like the last wave ones especially the mobile unit which seems to be smaller than the 2011 one as well as the police station also being noticbly smaller than the last 2 however there will be a small helicopter included.

There also seems to be a smaller range of great vehicles including a race car, light repair truck and monster truck which I expect to cost around £8-£10.

In terms of the great vehicles, the tow truck looks very nice with a. Beautiful blue colour scheme whilst e camper van is similar to the 2010 one but includes an oar boat as well. The jeep with boat though is a bit of a cross between the small robber getaway set and the coastguard water jet set released last year.

The highway transporter is another great looking truck which includes a car with a yellow colour I think and the airport fire truck is quite a large scale one and looks interesting however not one I'm too interested in. So what des everyone think?

Comments

• rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Any more info on star wars?
  • ckenda1ckenda1 Member Posts: 121
    Any new info on Castle sets?
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    And new info on The Simpsons LEGO?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,257
    Wow, derailed before we even left the station! A new Brickset record!

I am looking forward to seeing the great vehicle sets, they are perfect for my son. Like the sound a blue tow truck
    Chang405GothamConstructionCojust2goodicey117carlqLegoboy
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    What about Pirates? Pirates. Pirates. Pirates. Pirates.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850

Wow, derailed before we even left the station! A new Brickset record!

I am looking forward to seeing the great vehicle sets, they are perfect for my son. Like the sound a blue tow truck

Not quite as bad as this one. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/11484/what-have-you-learned-about-afols-the-lego-community-from-reading-the-brickset-forum#latest

Funny how I always end up in the off-topic parts of a discussion... :-P
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    Thanks for that information. Did you see any news on Series 12, The LEGO Movie sets or anything else new?
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    Did you see anything about the new City sets - oh sorry - wrong thread.

Then again, if it's a choice of ask about the new police station or Duplo, were there any Duplo elephants?
    just2good
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    We need some pics real soon.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    I love some of the randomness we get for set. We are told "normal City" things do not interest the kids, yet another light repair truck? What City lights? The ones at the how many Police and Fire Stations? And why so many Fire and Police? Oh, because kids love that stuff. But what fires are there to put out? The one at the Police Station? I still think instead of being called "City", the line should be called "Leisure and Safety". And why release a Airport Fire Truck when the Airport went discontinued? I suppose for the Cargo Terminal since the plane has no runway to land on. I still will argue the variety back in the 80's/early 90's was way better then today. They may not have made Lego the millions of dollars back then but, geez, a City should be a City.
    LostInTranslationChang405dougtstrukYellowcastle
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    I keep hoping and hoping word will come out about any new cool unlicensed line for next year.

As for what do I think about City 2014? It all sounds beyond boring. My son will not even look at any of that. I do appreciate you sharing, though.
    just2good
  • ckenda1ckenda1 Member Posts: 121
    ^ When I asked a store employee yesterday if the little Pirates minifigure pack was a sign that something bigger was coming for Pirates she said that all of the employees there were very hopeful that there would be more early next year.
    I think city has dropped off dramatically the past few years; whether its because the focus has been more on licensing or the testing being conducted is that kids LOVE fire and police; I just don't know. But I do know that it's gone way downhill and is rather spend my dollars elsewhere on another more interesting line. A straight up F so far for me for "city" 2014.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I'm interested in the camper theme. Another camper van is ok but I wish they would expand on the idea a bit more and throw in a picnic table scene, tents, or some sort other outdoor setting the campers can go to.

Any word on creator houses?
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBbluemodern
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    I disagree. I think we have seen enough variety on the City line, even though they keep releasing Fire and Police sets every year. I love the vehicles released the past couple of years, the mine sets from last year were great as well.

Harbor in 2011 was nice and they have just re-released some Airport cargo and "Coast Guard" sets that are great!

Plus 2 trucks with Monster Truck and a Formula Car, City Garage... Honestly, that is enough variety, specially when we can combine all that with the modular buildings and creator houses and trains...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I have to say, I don't remember CITY being that different before. As above we seem to have at least one non-core fire/police line each year. Cargo/Coastguard/Mining recently for example.

Growing up through the 80s I don't remember having vast swathes of city lego. My friend had the airport and some planes, i had a few bits but in terms of interest/desire it came a long way behind space, castle etc. I enjoyed playing with my friends airport for about 5 minutes, where as castle would keep me entertained day in day out.

To me it seems that CITY really provides a way to get young children into LEGO. There is that time in almost all boys (and girls) lives where seeing a fire engine is about the most exciting thing in the world, but they quickly grow past it. Theres a time when fire and police lego is the most exciting, they get hooked on what is probably seen as about the perfect toy for that age of child by many parents. A year or two later when they have the entire range of police lego they move on to more exciting/challenging lines. Its like the gateway drug of the LEGO world, and it works perfectly for them.
    Bumblepantszippityzoom
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    ^I agree with you, but there are exceptions, of course.

I have identical twin boys at the age 7. One kid loves everything City, Creator and dreams of having the modular pet shop. Loves the "Real Life" situations and simulations.

The other does not bother with any "real life" stuff, loves Star Wars, Super Heroes and Monster Fighters. Recently, he is into Lord of The rings and has been through plenty of Harry Potter and NinjaGo. Pretty much anything that has a weird monster on it attracts him, and he did not went through the City phase.

Just two sides of the same "coin", lol!
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    While I love city (and all it's non emergency sets) and will continue to support the theme, I do get frustrated with all the emergency stuff that comes out and while I am sure tlg rehash something fire or police almost yearly for a good reason, it still amazes me that it has been literally EVERY year for the last 4 or 5 years that police or fire have appeared and going into 2014 aswell. I suppose it saves me money by filling slots that might otherwise have been filled with more sets I want. I am over the moon that a car transporter is on the way though, something I have long desired. I just hope it's good.
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    I Wish LEGO Can Make A Hanna-Barbera Vehicle Collection Featuring Cars, Boats, Planes, & Spaceships From Timeless H-B Shows, Like "The Flintstones", "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!", "The Jetsons", "The Snorks", "Jonny Quest", "Space Ghost", "Fantastic Max" & More.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    @Firox5000 as you have seen pics are you able to tell us approx size of the car transporter, piece count and your estimation of cost. How many cars can it hold, based on the one that comes with it?
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

I think city has dropped off dramatically the past few years; whether its because the focus has been more on licensing or the testing being conducted is that kids LOVE fire and police; I just don't know. But I do know that it's gone way downhill and is rather spend my dollars elsewhere on another more interesting line. A straight up F so far for me for "city" 2014.

I think it has more to do with lego's addiction to licensed themes.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,428
    Hearing a lot about vehicles, but kinda disappointing if we go wanting for a gas station for another 1-2 years
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I really think the City line needs to take some hints from the Friends line. Why couldnt they make a bakery or a school for the City line?
    BRC
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    City is very light on buildings recently and there's not much variety in the little that we have, too. It's not possible to build a well rounded town using only official sets.

I blame it on the 5-10 year old boys TLG uses as focus groups. It's all their fault.:D Going by the fact that TLG does release a wide variety of buildings in Friends, I'm quite sure they'd do the same in City as well if they saw the demand.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Thanos75 said:

I really think the City line needs to take some hints from the Friends line. Why couldnt they make a bakery or a school for the City line?

judging by lego logic it's "b/c now that they have a line to dump all the girl stereotypical things in, why bother breaking outside the confines of stereotypical boy likes in the city line"
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Perhaps TLG realizes children live in homes and can, and do, build them with their spare bricks, but because they have less chance to see police and fire stations they are less likely to have the perspective to build one or to have the type doors to build them. Vehicles are always popular, and kids use them in more ways than adults as a general rule. The fact that sets are smaller probably has to do with the smaller amount of disposable income available to many families. Seems no matter what TLG does, what size sets they release, what theme, what building, etc., we want something else. I admit to being as guilty as the next afol.
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    I'm over Fire and Police, we don't need any more of that in the City range. Give us some small shops, a post office, a vet, a small store, some every day passenger cars, a delivery van, I don't know what else but no more Poilce or Fire!!!!!
    bellybutton290Scottlego667gifinimlegomasonlegomatt
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    I hope that the new crash truck has a roof-mount turret, instead of the one that took up what would be tank and equipment space on a real one.
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    edited September 2013
    Thanos75 said:

Because all the good eats and the best schools are in Heartlake City with its higher per-dollita income, whereas the City of Citiesville is a burnt out war zone of criminality and mayhem... Oh my godddd! They're breaking out of Arkham Asylum and headed here! Runnnn!
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Perhaps Lego has a tangible impact on the amount of kids wanting to grow up to be a fireman or policeman and they're worried if they change their lines there'll be a global shortage in a decade or two :)
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    Maybe we'll get a bakery or school in the City line when they can work out where to put the flick-fire missiles?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,257
    flick-fire cupcakes. Win-Win.
    carlqchromedigigifinimlegomatt
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    Also, everyone in Heartlake City is buff from the combination of good nutrition and swimming with the dolphins, while folks in the City of Citiesville are dumpy due to their low-quality fastfood diet.

For that matter, Heartlake City is so idyllic, that they don't even need police or any other emergency personnel, even when they leave their homes wide open while cruising in their yachts and being featured on Lifestyles of the Brick and Famous.
    carlqmooman66Legogeek
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    2014 sets availible now in the Entertainer the Lego store watford stocked the police station. The prices for these are below,

Police motorbike-£4.99
    Police car chase-£12.99
    Prisoner truck-£17.99
    Mobile Police unit-£29.99
    Police 4x4-£39.99
    Police helicopter-£49.99
    Police station-£79.99

Vehicles/
    Light truck,monster truck & race car-£7.99 each
    Tow truck,jet ski transport,camper van & logging truck-£17.99 each
    Highway truck & airport fire truck-£24.99 each

So the police stations gone up £8 since the last one, definitely won't buy since I have the 08 one which cost just £50. Most sets aren't bad value but £18 for the prisoner truck and camper are a bit much though.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    Way too many vehicles and not enough actual structures (sound familiar? Star Wars anyone?). I guess CITY has become a supplement to the modular and seasonal lines. People ask "why don't they make a bakery/restaurant/school?". Easy. Because they save those sort of things for the modular line. I did like where they were going with the logging and forest police lines, but *shrugs* I'd much prefer more of an emphasis on "everyday things".
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    The actual structures in the City line are never that good anyways. To make them better (larger and/or more detailed) would bring them up to modular pricing.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,976
    odueck said:

The actual structures in the City line are never that good anyways. To make them better (larger and/or more detailed) would bring them up to modular pricing.

To an extent, I agree, but in retrospect some of my favorite Town and City buildings from childhood were fairly small and I loved them anyway. #6350 and #6562 were tiny but I loved them anyway (though I'm glad we don't have giant STAMPs in sets that size today!). In fact, a lot of the 80s and 90s Town buildings were fairly small in size, not even taking up a full 8x16 baseplate.

I've heard some complaints that the real issue with today's LEGO City buildings vs. the LEGO Town buildings of yesteryear is that today's vehicles are larger — thus, if you put a vehicle in a set it will eat up more of the budget, and it will take a bigger building to seem substantial in comparison. I guess this is a valid point, but I personally like the switch to 6-wide for larger vehicles. Makes the vehicles feel a bit more diverse than if all vehicles were using the same size chassis.

In any case, I do think it'd be great if there were more structures in LEGO City. Unfortunately, vehicles have a lot of inherent play value that buildings can't easily match. To a young kid, a building will always just be a place where things move about, while a vehicle actually does the moving about.

Another issue, naturally, is that other than flagship sets like police stations, fire stations, and garages, the TYPE of buildings that you find in LEGO City are typically fairly small in size. The biggest buildings in a real city tend to be things that would probably bore a lot of kids if built to scale, such as office buildings and warehouses. Perhaps more importantly, these are places that younger kids don't spend a whole lot of time and so might not fully understand what goes on. A school might work, but then again that doesn't have the same sense of escapism, does it? :P

On a side note, the bias towards vehicles is hardly new. In the debut year for LEGO town, there were 28 sets, not counting road plates. Of these, only six included permanent structures, and two of those six were promotional sets! That's hardly any better than this year, especially if you only count standard retail sets rather than polybags, co-packs, and advent calendars. Out of 27 such sets this year, nine include permanent structures, and only two of those are retailer exclusives.

In the olden days, years with fewer sets tended to have a better ratio of sets with structures to sets without structures, but I think that's partly because back then sets were not retired as regularly, so there wasn't a constant need for a new wave of affordable vehicle sets to come in and replace the old ones.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,428
    edited December 2013
    BRC said:

I'm over Fire and Police, we don't need any more of that in the City range. Give us some small shops, a post office, a vet, a small store, some every day passenger cars, a delivery van, I don't know what else but no more Poilce or Fire!!!!!

Fire and Police sell like gangbusters every year and are pretty much a sure thing for LEGO to make money. Do you really think they will shoot themselves in the foot and stop this?

I agree that LEGO should make more buildings though. I think they are relying on whenever the City Corner is re-released to everyone, and you have the Town Square now. But I agree that they need cheaper smaller buildings and could do them.
    Heck How about a Gas station again FINALLY. I love how you can sell a gas tanker, but with no place to go.
    I'm guessing they do not sell that well, but I fail to see why. Lots of activities can occur at the Gas station (especially if you also add a garage to it -hint hint LEGO). Heck if they love police so much, have the station getting held up or something. But the city desperately needs a gas station (and no I do not count the one in the city Garage set)
    They also have enough bits to make a small corner grocer type store as well.
    I mean they have milk cartons, orange juice cartons, meats veggies fruit, etc.
    If LEGO needs inspiration just go down to the vault and get an early to mid 80's catalog.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Lego will never stop churning out the fire and police sets, as that's what kids want. They don't cater City to AFOL's...they know this line is mostly for kids...and a kid who's 3 or 4 now and playing with Duplo will be in the range to buy City in a couple years time. If there's no police or fire in the store, they aren't going to get their parent's to go on Bricklink or Ebay and make the impulsive purchase they likely would have at Target. AFOL's want what is not the best business decision for Lego, which would be to give fire and police a break.

I look at it as them making money on things like this allow them to branch out and make Exclusives like the Modulars that they might not make as much money from.
  • tabissettetabissette Member Posts: 19
    Sigh...if only all the cool buildings from the Friends line/range weren't Easter egg colored...
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Sigh...if only all the cool buildings from the Friends line/range weren't Easter egg colored...

Yea, but that appeals to girls the way Police/Fire appeals to boys...

My daughter is just nuts for the Friends stuff... :)
    Id like to bring this back to some good old fashioned wooden structures. We need more tan and brown for those piratey harbor scenes...I mean...old fashioned "city" streets.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 815
    Not much discussion about the actual offerings for 2014's City line considering the title for this thread but having built the Octan race car, lime monster truck, yellow car transporter, orange light repair truck, camper and wrecker I have to say I'm thoroughly and fantastically pleased with these vehicles. The new parts included are fantastic and the builds are fun. The sets are all worth picking up (though I didn't need another light repair truck in my personal collection) and the $10 sets are absolutely beautiful and fun blueprints to build color modified versions of.
    itsnotme
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I think all the vehicle sets are great, with the exception of the light repair truck rehash. none of the police scene retreads are even remotely interesting. as always, the summer City wave is much more likely to contain sets of interest.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    edited December 2013
    Most of 2014's City sets are on my to get list, with the exception of some police and fire sets. I always enjoy the vehicles, even though many are repeats with a new twist.

With all the LEGO police, there should be a Donut shop set. ;-)
    Legogeek said:

With all the LEGO police, there should be a Donut shop set. ;-)

Well, we DO have The Simpsons coming up...
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    And I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a Simpsons set..... :-(
    LadyLovesLegos
    Lets face it, if they do a nice 500 part Doughnut shop, it will be a required purchase for any decent city layout. :)
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    City line needs a university and a bigger hospital plus some doctor's offices with the new health plan!
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    They are aimed at kids yes but here's a 9 year olds thinking looking at the new sets:

Police sets: "I just got all of those last year"
    Race Car: "It's cool but who does he race? If I buy 4 of the, they will all be the same. Where is a track?"
    Light Truck: "I have that but mine is better."
    Town Square: "I have a Piazza house and bike store."

Only thing of interest is the Car Transport. "But where do I take the cars to?"

So, yes, they sell like crazy but if someone started collecting 3 years ago, are they too smart for City now? That's one boy who won't be buying much of City this year.
    red237