Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A new series of Harry Potter movies announced...kind of

richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
edited September 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Deadline's just reported a WB press release stating that a new series of movies in the world of Harry Potter is to be made in conjunction with JK Rowling, with her writing the first one - snippet below:
At the center of the partnership is a new film series from Rowling’s world of witches and wizards, inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and the adventures of the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander. The announcement was made by Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” will be an original story and will mark Rowling’s screenwriting debut. It is planned as the first picture in a new film series. Set in the wizarding world, the story will feature magical creatures and characters, some of which will be familiar to devoted Harry Potter fans.

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world,” said Rowling. “The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.
Given the success of the HP Lego, I thought this might be of interest - especially to resellers or people who just missed the HP sets when they came out of their Dark Age (like me)...
GuroooLostInTranslationEKSamAdeelZubairHarryPotterLovercharlatan13carlqsidersdd

Comments

• GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2013
    I'd love to find some of those fantastic beasts in LEGO boxes!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,568
    Yay, the Wizarding World will live on!
    I do hope TLG gets a licence to make sets from what will surely be a popular theme? Could be an opportunity to resurrect HP too, sort of like LotR being possible because of the Hobbit movies.
    JessyDooDahAdeelZubaircharlatan13
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    Ooooooooooooooh!!!!!!
    Thank you so much for posting this!!

i am eyond excited, even if there is not a Lego connection. I have some kids that are going to completely flip by this, but more importantly, my younger daughter at least will be able to see one HP world movie in the actual theater.

Goodness, I would hope that Lego would be smart enough to hop on and do some HP spin-offs.
    LostInTranslationAdeelZubair
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Just heard this two hours ago, looks like those HP sets might be worth even more shortly in the future.
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    Fantastic Beasts in LEGO form *drool*
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,568
    edited September 2013
    ^^ Seriously? I really didn't think this news would be met with "valuation" talk :-(
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    This gives hopes for Lego Harry Potter to return :)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ If they put out sets for this new series then I couldn't see a good reason for them NOT to put out HP again even if it was just to put out the exact sets from the last round. There will probably be enough new people experiencing the HP world at that point to want the LEGO sets and for the them to sell well.

If they don't do sets for the new series I'd say there is 0% chance of seeing HP again.
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    Obviously when I herd this- I was floored. Literally, I was leaning back in my chair and fell. But this is a new SERIES and hopefully this could be a god series as opposed to a 1anddone theme. I can picture the new creature molds now!!!!!
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    Now i'm going to read "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

Yes I own the book but still haven't read it!
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    I wouldn't. The book is utterly tedious
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2013
    ^^^since you've read the book (I have not) could you comment on if the book would lend itself to Lego sets? For example, I'm wondering if there is a central character (Newt?) or if it more of a compendium (I keep on thinking of my old D&D Monster manuals). Obviously Lego lends itself to almost anything but I'm curious about the how the story might lend itself to certain scenes or settings as opposed to the recreation of magical beasts.
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    If they're making a film then there has to be the heroic lead, the comedy sidekick, the feisty female and a totally evil guy with a British accent - even if they weren't in the original book.

That should be enough for at least six different sets :-)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    edited September 2013
    Brits in NYC? That's why we put up a "Wall" in the first place ;)
    BoiseStateFollowsClosely
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    @charlatan13, the book isn't really a book- at least, it doesn't have a story. It was written to look like one of the textbooks that Hogwarts students use in one of their classes. The "author" of the text is Newt Scamander.

My guess is that the films/series will follow Newt as he comes across the creatures detailed in the text, perhaps as he studies or writes about them. Either way, it'll be nice to be in the HP world again. I hope that maybe JK will write a novel based on the screenplay, and I would definitely like Lego to pick up that license!
    charlatan13AdeelZubairHarryPotterLover
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    @khmellymel - thanks. I never heard anyone mention the book until now and I'll try to check it out at some point. Your guess about the film reminded me of the Spiderwick Chronicles movie.

Seems like an odd choice but maybe Rowling just wants to try her hand at screenwriting and thought the book offers a lot of good source material. I guess I was wondering how a possible Lego license might work since I just picture 'creature A' in cave, 'creature B' in tree and so forth. I guess time will tell.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Yes its just a long list of magical animals and a short description, no story at all. Quidditch through the ages was slightly more interesting