Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Outrage as toy company creates 'crystal meth lab' for children with Breaking Bad play sets

The Daily Mail has spoken!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415463/Outrage-toy-company-creates-crystal-meth-lab-children-Breaking-Bad-play-sets.html
  • 500-part set has all the drugs paraphernalia used in hit American series
  • Lego refused to sanction or endorse the toy, which was made by independent company Citizen Brick
  • Twitter users blasted £160 toy as an inappropriate plaything
andhe

Comments

• PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    I absolutely love that camper van.
    EriccoachieDougoutLegoFanTexasBeavjasortrickydicky0880
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    All hail the Daily Fail and their ineffable facts and infallible opinion!
    vitreolumBig_Blue_Winkytedward
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Nice advertising for CitizenBrick, now sold out...
    cheshirecatandhegifinimkylejohnson11
  • nike1664nike1664 Member Posts: 13
    No Jesse minifig?
    Love Gus's double-sided head!
  • wainwribwainwrib Member Posts: 22
    Breaking Bad poly in the next Lego promotion to test their resolve?
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    I guess they figured "why not get meth customers started young" ;-)
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    If it upsets The Daily Mail then I'm all for it.
    plasmodiumAleyditaGothamConstructionCoBig_Blue_Winkygifinim
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    I hope they're getting a nice sales boost from this!
  • aid_77aid_77 NewburyMember Posts: 186
    Never let facts get in the way of a "good" story!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    edited September 2013

Nice advertising for CitizenBrick, now sold out...

No such thing as bad press.
    As much as I do not care for the show, it is what it is. Same with Sopranos or any other show highlighting an illegal activity, people do not have to watch it. I doubt a responsible parent would buy this toy for their kid to play with and if they do then that is on the parent IMO.
    But hey, thanks to a news article you just took 100 people complaining to 1000's who want the set so they can sell them on eBay for twice that much.
    The article is worthless, especially when it is not like you can stop those from making it, I mean it is not LEGO, and LEGO cannot stop those buying its bricks to make sets like this.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    I wish I had thought of it...absolutely brilliant way to turn what appears to be a relatively small amount of Lego into enormous profit.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    "Bad Press" worked for Jabbas Palace even though it was made up.
    timinchicago91stlegotrooper
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    If anyone comes across the instructions for this on the Internet please share! Awesome detail in that camper.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    How did you see the inside? ;)
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    I saw this set at Brickfair VA, it's amazing in person. I wanted it so badly ut a bit out of my price range. Did they sell the RV too? I thought I remember seeing that on Cuusoo.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    edited September 2013
    I saw a Heisenberg action figure at TRU and it comes with a bag filled with little blue plastic crystals... I think it was about $17.
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    that figure was 17.95 had a duffel bag of cash and a couple packs of blue. there is also a bobblehead that was 15ish with him in a yellow chem suit
    lol
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Action figures actually show how retarded that "piece of journalism" is, just look at McFarlane's Tortured Souls line for every little sadist under 6.
    trickydicky0880
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    Because we should all trust an article that didn't spend 2 minutes on [email protected], or anything else for that matter, to realize this isn't a real set
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205
    In fairness to the Daily Mail, they state plainly that Lego did not make this set.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
    edited September 2013
    ^ Yes, I think that was pretty clear to anyone who spent 2 minutes reading the article :) And I doubt they'd deliberately try and piss of The LEGO Group so soon after the last polybag promo.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 660
    They think the camper van is part of the set. It's an unrelated MOC. Lazy sensationalism.

They don't even mention the adult-themed minifigs Citizen Brick also makes.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited September 2013
    That's because they're not interested in news. They're interested, and do very well out of, deciding how to package up an item of news so that it tickles the outrage gland of their target audience and twisting facts, omitting others, and including hints to things that aren't there, so that they sell their papers/get their page views.
    DougoutCam_n_Stu
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 834
    Obviously they're not looking at it from an AFOL perspective. The same as I'd be surprised if I saw an adult-themed Stickle Brick set for sale, so too would an adult-themed Lego set be a surprise for most people. Hell, some AFOLs are none too keen to see official Simpsons sets because of the thinly-veiled adult humour included in the show.
    Wish it were a quarter of the price, I would order one...
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    OMG- who watched Breaking Bad last night?!!! (I freak out and say OMG!!! every week I watch this show...)
    Dougout
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2013
    I don't watch the show, but I know that:

1. This set (or the show) isn't intended for children

2. This isn't made by Lego

The Daily Mail, I recall has made articles about this before, as well as someone else

The journalists have not taken their time to research this thoroughly, they just rushed the article out.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^^BB was crazy this week. I feel bad for everyone on the show at this point.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ yeah, even Walt at times. While obviously this is all of his making, there have been no shortage of things snowballing out of his control over the course of the series.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,047
    I'm only on Season 2 of BB so far. I guess I'll have to stop reading this thread in case of spoilers...
    ^I promise no spoilers, that would not be cool!
    Aaron Paul was just answering questions live on Facebook and he said this "Hey guys, on that note. I just want to thank everyone for tuning into this Q&A. I can' t believe there's only two hours left to complete Breaking Bad. Thanks so much from the bottom of heart for being so unbelievably passionate, means the world to me, and it has completely changed my life. Without all of you guys none of this would have happened. Without the best fans in the world, Breaking Bad would not exist. And because of you, we were able to tell the complete story. As you all know last nights episode was a shit show. And the story ends very soon. So get ready because its about to get very messy. Love you all! And I hope you have an A1 day!"
    All this talk about meth reminds me of this. :-)
    LegoboycoachiemargotchromedigiBlueTacoBuzzsawHardradacloaked7gifinim
    edited September 2013
    ^ I almost pissed my pants the first time I saw that one! XD
    chromedigi
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,726
    The very first thing that came into my head was Snoop Dogg.
    I wonder what Jar Jar looks like on this stuff... @Pitfall69?
    You might say that dog is really methed up.
    Cam_n_Stu
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,096
    margot said:

Aaron Paul was just answering questions live on Facebook and he said this "Hey guys, on that note. I just want to thank everyone for tuning into this Q&A. I can' t believe there's only two hours left to complete Breaking Bad. Thanks so much from the bottom of heart for being so unbelievably passionate, means the world to me, and it has completely changed my life. Without all of you guys none of this would have happened. Without the best fans in the world, Breaking Bad would not exist. And because of you, we were able to tell the complete story. As you all know last nights episode was a shit show. And the story ends very soon. So get ready because its about to get very messy. Love you all! And I hope you have an A1 day!"

Yes! I've read several articles about the craziness of Sunday nights episode, anyways off topic I know. But clearly so mainstream!
    The show producers "plant" these articles to get people talking and watching.

Also, I took another took at the Heisenberg action figure and noticed his gun is a Ruger LCR, but in the show he has an older revolver with wood grips.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 948
    Whatever about the morality of it, does TLG not take exception to third parties making revenue from their IP? These are LEGO elements and not clone brand pieces, right?
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Is there anything they can do? If they're not advertising it as a Lego branded set then aren't they just selling pieces second hand with their own custom packaging and instructions?

I think they'd only get in trouble if they tried to pass it off as somehow official or otherwise endorsed by Lego.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I would love to know the legality of it too, what would happen if someone launched a Hitler minifig that went viral and sold 50,000 copies, are you saying that Lego would not be able to do anything at all about their brand being associated with Hitler in 50,000 homes around the world?
    andhe
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 268
    Journalists have tried to say the same thing about Brickarms, too.

They fail to realize that this isn't a toy for children, but building accessories for AFOLs and TFOLs

I would love to know the legality of it too, what would happen if someone launched a Hitler minifig that went viral and sold 50,000 copies, are you saying that Lego would not be able to do anything at all about their brand being associated with Hitler in 50,000 homes around the world?

What could they do? If it's a custom MF then they can't do anything, it's the same thing as painting Hitler on the hood of a car, the manufacturer can't stop anyone doing that.
    vitreolum said:

What could they do?
    They could try to cut off supply, although that would probably fail.

They could also distance themselves from it by stating the obvious. That lego did not produce this item, and lego would never produce such abhorrent minifig.

Although I have to admit I made one a few years ago with custom decals, but I did also make Churchill and Roosevelt too (and a number of German officers), along with a number of WW1 costumes too. I have Dad's Army characters somewhere too.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 948
    Xefan said:

Is there anything they can do? If they're not advertising it as a Lego branded set then aren't they just selling pieces second hand with their own custom packaging and instructions?

I think they'd only get in trouble if they tried to pass it off as somehow official or otherwise endorsed by Lego.

I'm not an expert on IP law, but these guys are making money from another party's intellectual property, presumably without paying any licensing fees - is there not a legitimate copyright issue there? Then again, someone above mentioned Brickarms, so this isn't anything new I guess.
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    I'm probably just blowing smoke, but I'd think if there were a problem for them, it would be based on the fact that all the parts they use have the LEGO logo on them, and thus their models appear to be LEGO-branded. The argument might be able to be made that this causes confusion in the marketplace regarding TLG's relationship to this product. Or something like that, anyway...

Someone who actually knows something about the pertinent aspects of IP law can hopefully weigh in now and enlighten the rest of us.
    andhe
    But there's no ip on that, it's nothing different than selling parts. They are basically selling the parts necessary to build someone's MOC and custom decals. The only IP involved there is the Breaking Bad one, Lego has no say in this.
    edited September 2013
    ^ Yes, Marvel seem to let the customs makers get away with selling a few hundred customs. But if they got to selling 50,000 no doubt lawyers would come knocking on their door.