Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO is now the World's Second Biggest Toy Manufacturer

KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 965
edited September 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Just saw this scroll across the bottom of the BBC news channel. Just one more place to go!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23968860

Comments

• HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Hmm, didn't TLG's sales grow by 20+ % last year? It seems growth is slowing down, especially on their established markets.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,530
    No company can keep growing at 20%+ forever.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    That's of course true. Anyhow I just wanted to point out that it seems that the European and North American market for Lego seems to get close to saturation.
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 965
    Would be interesting to see the figures for how Lego does against Mattel in different regions around the world. Does Lego outsell Mattel in Europe?
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Nice choice of photograph in the article.
  • rchaddrchadd Member Posts: 187
    good time to sell/go public?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    rchadd said:

good time to sell/go public?

If that is the goal, then yes, this would be the perfect time to go public.

The only problem is, they haven't been talking about it or promoting it. You need to give Wall Street some number of months of heads up, get the talking heads thinking about it, create some buzz. I don't hear or see any of that.

They are unlikely to just surprise everyone with an IPO announcement. If they did they are foolish. You hire the big fancy banks to promote you for a year first, that is just how the game is played.
    Legoboy
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    TLG increased its operating profit to $536 Million USD in the first half of this year.

Considering that doesn't include Christmas, they should triple that by the end of the year.

This is a very profitable company. Maybe they should take away a few small discounts on exclusives and piss off their loyal AFOLs now that they are doing so well! :)
    YellowcastleLegoboyJP3804Bumblepantschromedigi
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    *some of their "loyal" AFOLs since a) not all give a rat's arse and b) most probably don't even know or aren't affected.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    "Lego's sales have been boosted by its new Legends of Chima range, which features animal tribe building blocks."

If true, Chima just might be more popular than most people here think. Either that or the 'sales' are skewed by the 8 million free speedorz they sent out. ;)
    Yellowcastle
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768

This is a very profitable company. Maybe they should take away a few small discounts on exclusives and piss off their loyal AFOLs now that they are doing so well! :)

Or get into bed with resellers, on the resellers terms ;-)

nonexYellowcastleLegoFanTexasLegoboy
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 965
    Bandit said:

"Lego's sales have been boosted by its new Legends of Chima range, which features animal tribe building blocks."

If true, Chima just might be more popular than most people here think. Either that or the 'sales' are skewed by the 8 million free speedorz they sent out. ;)

I suspect that line was taken from a TLG press briefing note. More likely to be hopeful spin on their aspirations of success for Chima rather than something based on real sales figures.
    cheshirecat
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    Lego should be No.1!
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    ^watch this space! They went from third to second in a year so you never know! Mind you I have no idea of the gap between Mattel and tlg at this point.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,452
    edited September 2013
    Apparently Mattel's 2011 gross revenue was 6.2 billion, compared to Lego's 3.6 billion now, if you double what they have earned in the first half. I think Lego has a way to go yet.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 488
    Interesting. For a long time I had always heard that Hasbro would be number one if not for Mattel's pink juggernaut, Barbie. I know recently Hasbro's had some problems, but I would have assumed that Lego had farther to go to be number two. I think this may have more to do with Hasbro's slower or lack of growth.

Don't get me wrong I love Lego, but whether Lego is one, two or three doesn't matter to me. The product that matters.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    For the love of conjugation, please fix the title.