Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying LEGO in Taiwan

Jezebel_19Jezebel_19 Perth, AustraliaMember Posts: 31
edited September 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
I'm about to go to Taiwan for a holiday and hopefully to find lego shops to have a look at while I'm there. Does anyone know where there are good lego shops there to visit.

Comments

• jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I was in Taiwan about a year and a half ago. I was actively looking for LEGO there as well. The large department stores usually have a toy section that carry a full line of sets including 10xxx exclusives, but the prices are pretty high. There are also some specialty toy shops that will carry LEGO as well, but I didn't find anything that might be exclusive to Taiwan.

The only thing of note that I did find was that some of the stores had some of the earlier CMFs on display and they let me buy a few of them. You might also find some recently retired sets in case you missed out on something.

Hopefully someone who lives in Taiwan can chime in and give you more advice on where to go. Have fun there and make sure to prepare yourself for the heat and humidity.
  • josephliyenjosephliyen Member Posts: 24
    To be honest Taiwan will be the last place you want to buy lego from. The prices there are usually at least double of US pricing and rarely on sale. They have Toysrus there as one of the main shops for lego but you get the idea. In my opinion, if you are going there for holiday, food should be your main target!
  • Jezebel_19Jezebel_19 Perth, AustraliaMember Posts: 31
    Thanks for the input...I guess I'm really looking for the shops that might have old sets. I've gone to Hong Kong and Singapore and I've found some really good older sets (yes you do have to pay a bit more for them but it's also fun finding stuff)...and apart from that yes I'm there to explore the food.
  • josephliyenjosephliyen Member Posts: 24
    I risk on going off topic but I must tell you this gem of beef noodle in Taipei city. It is here: "Yuon Kan Beef Noodle" No. 17, Lane 31, Section 2, Jīnshān South Rd, Daan District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106

https://www.google.ca/maps/preview#!q=永康街牛肉麵&data=!1m4!1m3!1d5060!2d121.528103!3d25.032898!4m23!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d321301!2d-114.088499!3d51.013117!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5m12!1m11!1z5rC45bq36KGX54mb6IKJ6bq1!4m8!1m3!1d321301!2d-114.088499!3d51.013117!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!17b1

It has been around for more than 50 years and their food is to die for!
  • Jezebel_19Jezebel_19 Perth, AustraliaMember Posts: 31
    Thanks Josephliyen, I've written down the address will try and get there.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 805
    So did you discover any good stores in Taiwan? I'm heading over in October and would like to look for some.
    Oh yes am planning on stopping by that. Any other suggestions?
  • JunaJuna TaiwanMember Posts: 5
    edited July 2015
    There are actually like 3 or 4 small shops you can visit in Taipei alone. TRU and the department stores sell sets at their MSRP, which is crazy high compared to what the MSRP is back stateside. So does Brickworks, but I think they are more focused on the dining part. It's good if you have small kids coming along, they'll go crazy. But if you are an AFOL there's nothing you haven't seen before.

As a person who speaks very little Chinese, I have found a store called GoldBricks near Taipei Main Station to be the most friendly. The owner is an AFOL himself and speaks really fluent English. They sell parts (new and used) by the gram, and they carry loose figures and sets. You can get some cool stuff here, but I can't promise anything about the price. I've seen them sell figures (especially Ninjago) for much lower prices than bricklink. I've also bought some that ended up 30% more expensive than the average price after taking a look on bricklink. All in all, a nice shop though.

Also, a word of advice: go during the weekday. This store is CRAZY stuffed on the weekends. If you like crowds of "otaku" then by all means hit the store Saturday afternoon to get a good whiff of the action.

Like two blocks away is a more traditional Toy Store called Dong Dong, which literally translates to East East (http://dd-toytown.anow.tw/webnews/view.php?SN=6). I read on the local news they sell more LEGO than all the TRU chains in Taiwan combined. They sell sets at a certain discount off the MSRP, which I have not been able to grasp. I thought it was 25% off (which makes some Technic and Creator sets dirt cheap), but then I went a couple of weeks ago and it was like just 10% off. I have a hard time communicating with the staff so I still have no idea to this day.

The good thing about the two stores I've mentioned is that they are both easily accessible by MRT, and both are near Taipei Main Station, which you will most definitely go to when you are traveling around. There is also a Taipei underground mall of some sort right by MRT exit 1, where there are a lot of other types of toys to be bought. I buy all my video games here, near exit Y15 and Y17.

I know another store called Bee Mai (this isn't their real name, just the pronunciation), but I rarely go there since they are the only toy shop in the area. It's near Shi-Da, so if you luck out you are out at least an hour depending on where you are coming from. On the bright side, there are a lot of bars near Shi-da, so if you must go, go after dinner.

They have the most discontinued sets of all the shops I've been to, but the prices are almost always at or above the stateside market price. And their staff isn't all that friendly or knowledgeable about LEGO.

If there are anymore LEGO shops in Taipei, I would also love to know. Sometimes you get sick of ordering everything off bricklink, and just want to bring something home to build after work.

aimlesspursuitsJern92khmellymel
    Thanks for the very detailed description! This was exactly what I was looking for when I asked my question.

I really should brush up on my Chinese before going. i can speak Hokkien (which is very similar to Taiwanese) and I can probably have a rough conversation in Mandarin, but that's about it. When all else fails, I'll probably just smile and point. :-P

For Dong Dong, in what direction from Goldbricks is it? I clicked on the map but because I can't read Chinese, it makes absolutely no sense to me at all.