Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Toys R Us New Price Matching Policy

DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
edited September 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
I just read this, firgure I would let everyone know. Tru is supposed to be price matching online prices. http://m.today.com/money/christmas-august-retailers-rev-holiday-offers-6C10974051

Comments

• thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 412
    But... The holidays is when they jack everything up another 20%. I guess they'll still have many exclusives you can't match elsewhere.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    There has to be a hitch.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Well, for starters I strongly doubt they will let us price-match and then get BOGO deals. The price match will constitute a "sale."
    yys4uLegoFanTexas
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,513
    That and in the US they are the only ones that have Technic sets.
    I think this is being done due to the fact that they make less but at least they will make money, plus they are probably only going to price match on demand, and not drop the price of the set in general.. At least that is just a guess, which means that the people that do not pay attention to sites like Amazon.com already will still be more than happy to overpay despite this price matching.
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    As per TRU policy a price match to even their own site constitutes a "price modification" thus its no longer a normal priced item and not eligible for nearly all of their sales.

Not bad knowledge to have though as TRU typically has decent inventory.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I wonder how they validate the Amazon price.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Will it only be amazon prices, or all the little shops that put some crazy low prices once in a while.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    edited August 2013

Well, for starters I strongly doubt they will let us price-match and then get BOGO deals. The price match will constitute a "sale."

I think this is a given. If you PM today, even against TRU.com, they already won't let you stack coupons requiring a non-sale price :(.

I'm no fan of TRU, but it would be a little much to expect them to do a price match "and" discount the set further by an ongoing sale. No qualms there.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm no fan either but price matching Amazon will probably get me to shop there much more often. For example, I wasn't able to buy the Quinjet at discount anywhere and have been meaning to pick it up through Amazon, but if I can just drive to TRU and get it for the same price, I'd rather do that an avoid waiting for shipping/risking the box getting damaged on the way here.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I price matched a minecraft set from lego.com last week. I also received the free poly bag promo. S it might be a ymmv.
    murphquakerangermattchrisdojo
    Unless I wished to purchase more than Amazon's limit, I would just as well purchase the item from Amazon. I rarely have a shipping issue, saves me gas and time, and I don't have to deal with sales tax.
    YellowcastleLegoFanTexasTheLoneTensormadforLEGOFatMattchrisdojo
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Has to be in stock, not from amazon market place and only 2 of the item. If there is a shipping charge that is also applied. Once the price match is done, you can not combine with any other offer. For example buy 1 get 1 50% off or get the free item.
    LegoFanTexas
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242

I wonder how they validate the Amazon price.

Most stores now have a tablet or PC that is able to browse major competitors sites.
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    I bought a poly at ToysRUs the other day and had a 15% coupon for 1 item spit out with the receipt.

Should have a good cry at the futility vs. the 20%+ markup...
    OR
    burn it in effigy?

lol

ps. how is Amazon.com a 'direct' competitor of TRU but Lego.com is NOT? shees. what a crock

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited January 2014
    Regarding your (somewhat rhetorical) PS: Lego.com obviously is a competitor of TRU, but TRU can, of course, make any price-matching policy it wants. It's good to read TRU's guidelines to avoid some frustration at the store. That way you'll be armed with a solid argument if they try to shoot down a price match consistent with their policy. Of course, reason, logic and appropriate application of policy is generally contingent on at least marginal customer service aptitude, which you may or may not be lucky enough to encounter at TRU.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,513
    BulkheadX said:

I bought a poly at ToysRUs the other day and had a 15% coupon for 1 item spit out with the receipt.

Should have a good cry at the futility vs. the 20%+ markup...
    OR
    burn it in effigy?

lol

ps. how is Amazon.com a 'direct' competitor of TRU but Lego.com is NOT? shees. what a crock

Are these actual questions or just a bunch of rhetorical hand wringing?

I mean I think it is common knowledge that TRU's price mark ups are ridiculous, and I'm not sure the PS is a question seriously asked.
    I didn't post that to this conversation... it was moved here (or it would be more pertinent to the conversation at hand) lol AND yes the ps was rhetorical whining ;D

they are price matching with Amazon.com (and walmart, target, etc other type B&M stores) but if you read the fine print on the policy, they are only supposed to match the actual amazon.com (itself) prices and NOT all the extra stores that sell thru amazon. it also says that the price match is 'supposed' to include the actual shipping charge on top of whatever the listed price is. as you all know, amazon.com was fairly well cleaned out for xmas... but for practical purposes here is the sequence of events that I was haranguing about above:

This particular TRU has about 20 #9396 Technic Helicopters on shelf for 139.99. I missed the Lego closeout of this the other day but it's Lego listed price was $119.99 but was closeout at $98.56 (or something around there)... and that price markup is annoying to me in itself just from the 120 grrr lol. but I saw they had the price match now so checked the policy and then amazon and some other sites to see its prices. There was 1 listed on amazon from a seller for 114.99 (+shipping) and 1 listed at $138ish(+shipping). I asked a worker up by the checkouts how the price match worked, particularly for this set, and he yelled across to the service to desk to have them check the price on the computer there. They saw one for 115.99(+shipping). BUT all these were from sellers so they weren't supposed to price match that price but after much complaining about not matching even the actual Lego price of 120 (which it 'SHOULD' be anyway!!! rofl), I think they were going to give me the 115.99 and possibly without shipping. BUT by this time I was thoroughly annoyed at the whole process so gave up and just bought the poly I was going to get (As 20% markup isn't as annoying at $5 for some reason lol).

I may go back and pick one up anyway... haven't decided yet since I called Lego and picked up the pickup towtruck and quinjet battle on 'call to check' when they had it discounted yesterday) lol

so the moral is:
    1) after some vociferous complaining they will price match amazon sellers (if they even knew that part of the policy as I did not test it's actual use)
    2) Lego.com is NOT a 'direct competitor' according to store staff (they have a list of sites on their price match checker that they are allowed to go to in order to do it but Lego itself is inexplicably not one of them) most of the list are B&M stores but amazon is luckily on there (gotta love the online competition changing policies lol)

ps. if you are looking at amazon to do this, check both 9396 AND #9396 (for instance) as they have both listed as separate items sometimes
    pss. good hunting!
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 693
    And of course...YMMV...a lot of it depends on how strict the manager currently working feels and the relationship you have with each of them. I've been refused each of TRU last exclusive sales with the Barrel Escape and Super Heroes Fun House. I was told they couldn't price match(even their own website) and get the B1G1 50% off...they can't do both...even though I could do it online and have in-store pickup. Which turns out embarrassing(I'm assuming) for them when I return in an hour to pick up the Legos for the deal I was asking for and told they wouldn't do. But I was also told by one of the 'friendly' managers that corporate has really cracked down on the managers "overriding" the system on certain discounts/deals.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    BulkheadX said:

they are price matching with Amazon.com (and walmart, target, etc other type B&M stores) but if you read the fine print on the policy, they are only supposed to match the actual amazon.com (itself) prices and NOT all the extra stores that sell thru amazon.

The justification for excluding Amazon marketplace (third-party sellers) is quite sound as otherwise it'd be possible for someone to list an item at a very low price with the sole intention of obtaining a TRU price match.

I think the rest of your criticisms are fair and part of an overall problem among retailers where their price match policies are more lip service than anything and the default attitude is to look for ways to deny a claim rather than honor it.

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I believe most of the refusals are managers who fear they are being ripped off. They are being approached all day long by scammers and schemers... Sad the real customers have to suffer...

oh I don't disagree with the amazon.com only policy... that policy in the list makes sense as prices are all over the place on the marketplace stores... plus the policy of including shipping from the online stores does too. just saying you 'may' be able to get one of those prices (Without shipping) if it isn't completely ridiculous and they are not 100% knowledgeable of the policy.... or are kind enough to agree with your argument hehee
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2014
    As far as getting things price matched, I find being polite and a little persistent works wonders. It has worked well with matching another stores 20% off all Lego sale on items that are exclusive to the particular store.

I also managed to get TRU to give me $40 store credit for a couple of sets I purchased at 50% off that had since been reduced to 75% off. I didn't have the receipt or the sets with me, I just showed them my online CC statement with the TRU purchase listed (Obviously no way in knowing what the purchase was).

I am always polite and as I said you need to be persistent but with out being annoying.

This is obviously employee dependent and will not always work. Sometimes you'll just get a "no", but you can't win them all :)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I agree with the polite aspect. A pinch of sugar can go a long way sometimes. Those employees are used to being yelled at sad to say.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ Completely agree.
    On Black Friday, I overslept and missed the early opening at TRU for the $74.99 Town Square. I did eventually make it there by 9AM, was relieved to find a single one on the shelf, and took it to checkout.

Since it was a penny below qualifying for the free promotional $10 gift card with $75 purchase, I asked the cashier which candy she preferred among the ones at her register. I guess she thought I was just asking for a recommendation, because she was floored when I gave it to her. She described that Snickers Bar as the nicest thing any customer had ever done for her, which I hope was an exaggeration, but needless to say it felt nice to have made her day on what is surely the most hectic retail day of the year.

I told her my day was likewise made having been lucky enough to get the last set.

"Oh, I think we have more in the aisle!" She said.

"Oh really? And are you guys sticking to the 1 per customer, or was that just during the doorbuster hours?"

"You can grab as many as you like!"

"Is there a limit on these $10 gift cards?"

"Not that we've been told."

"Would you mind ringing me up in multiple transactions if that's the case?"

"Not at all!

So this happened (disclaimer: image is not for the faint of heart, and I left dozens behind):
    JeffHLegoFanTexasBastaMathBuilderBumblepantskhmellymelBrickarmorcloaked7Loon
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ And that, right there, should be proof that kindness can go a long way. :)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    cough...brag thread...cough...cough ;o)

What is she going to do with 20 snickers?
    roxiokhmellymelLegoFanTexasmargotjasorcloaked7JeffHLegoMom1Thanos75
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    And then when her boss asked her for the receipt for the snickers to prove that she paid for it....
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    My uncle sold siding and windows his whole life. He never went to a job site without food. Whether it be donuts, breakfast biscuits, or candy bars.
    edited January 2014
    I was perfectly kind! they were going to give it to me for 115 after all... I just passed on it at the time after the run around I got. hehee

anyway, I went back today and decided to buy the helicopter with the 119.99 pricematch I saw on amazon (at least it is Lego retail $ anyway lol). but she said that it wasn't 'fulfilled by amazon' so she couldn't give me that price. SO I was going to pass on that again and headed to the register to buy the large minifig display case I had for which I was going to use the 15% coupon.. BUT that phrase she said ran thru my mind as I got in this massive line they had (lots of people there at lunch i guess?).

So I checked the case price and saw a $21.50 fulfilled by amazon (as opposed to 24.99 at TRU). went back to the counter and asked to price match that and then use the 15% for the #9396. but the coupon I had was for next week (oh thanks for that TRU) BUT she said she had one for this week in the drawer I could use! Sweeet

She started ringing it up and it kicked in the $15 discount (for $60 Lego purchase) AND THEN she took the 15% off in addition to that... so I got it for somewhere around $106! score(-ish)! wish I hadn't missed the LEgo.com clearance of this but that is within $10 of that price anyway lol

anyway, the reason I tell this is.... if it says 'fulfilled by Amazon' on the product page even if it is a marketplace store, they will honor that price! but not any amazon marketplace stores that are shipping via their own methods. which is pretty sweet if you can find the right prices!
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    @rocao ...That picture of the gift cards sure looks like bragging to me and should maybe be moved to the right location or removed all together. Just messing with you....hehe
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Was able to grab 4x6863's using price match with Target.com. Price was MSRP (34.99) but it's gone from Lego.com and should climb nicely.