Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

MISB 10132 9v train won't start - what am I doing wrong?

streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
edited November 2012 in Building and Techniques
Complete train novice here. Bought the 2004 Hogwarts express 10132 off ebay, MISB, from trusted seller. Built all three train sections, lay down the oval track, plug in the regulator, check power button is on, connectors in place, turn the regulator to the right and voila! train doesn't run. Fidget wth track/train/ connectors. No go. Had some explaining to do to a very disappointed 4-year old.

I know it's an old set, but as it's not been opened/used, shouldn't it run on the first go? Any advice?

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    Since everything is new I would try pushing the train engine around the track a bit. You have to remember if it is from 2004 it has been sitting for 7 years or so. Poor conductivity is the most likely problem. Double check the connecting points to make sure all clips are firmly in place and actually touching the metal. If all this fails get an ohm meter and start checking the voltage at every point. Voltage should be a steady 9v obviously. Hope this helps.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    I've never heard of a new MISB LEGO train set not working before, even if it's old. But it could be that you've got a faulty motor, track, connecting wire, or regulator. If you have any other spare 9v motors and wires, try connecting them to the regulator to see if they work. And hopefully this goes without saying, but just be sure that you've got the connecting wire attached to both the inner rail and the outer rail (not both on the outer rail or something).

DaveE
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    Hmmm...reconfigured all the tracks and wiped each metal bit before joining, used only the motor this time - no train sections, connected wires on inner and outer rail (as before), pushed that sucker twice around the track and still no go. I don't have any other regulators or motors on hand, as I thought that by buying 10132, I could get them all in one go. I do have tracks so will trade those and see. Did look up some youtube videos to confirm that my setup looked correct (totally jealous to see how quickly those trains ran).

I also thought that a new 9v set, despite being on unused for x years, would run properly. Oldtodd33, you mentioned poor conductivity. Does it mean that the 9v system can be affected by age, i.e. it has a certain shelf life even if it's never been used?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    It has been my experience after buying loads of 9v over the years that motors sitting for extended periods of time will have trouble getting going for a bit. That is why I suggested pushing it around by hand for a bit. The track shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking at the speed regulator or the motor but possibly the wire to the track. That does have a coupling in there that is a fuse I believe. I really suggest getting an ohm meter out and have a look with it because it is the quickest way to find the problem. I have never heard of a defective 9v anything straight from the box, but I guess it's possible.
  • joewhite45joewhite45 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you! I have a train set that is not working and running it around the track jump started it back into action!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    You can always take a 9V battery and rub it around the metal contacts on the train itself and when you hit the right spot the power should get to the motor, this may help better determine if the fault lies with the motor or wires to the track (unless you have a voltmeter)

I agree with @oldtodd33 sometimes you have to push it to 'make it go' if it has been sitting (as Im guessing the 10132 was) Although I do not think that you need to really push it around the entire track, but I get the meaning, I have had old train motors really take time to get moving, once they do it should get good to go.