The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Ninjago Castle?

louismoiklouismoik Member Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in Collecting
I over heard 2 lego store workers talky about a lego Ninjago Castle coming out soon.

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,009
    Hm! That would be awesome!...(c:
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Is this information readily available through the 2014 retailer catalog, or am I suppose to believe two minimum wage employees knew about Lego's confidential lineup of sets? I don't normally think of ninjas and castles, but honestly, everything that theme does ends up surprising me.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 928
    ^^ Disparaging remarks, you think?

Lego2012
  • thenosthenos Member Posts: 345
    edited August 2013
    Special 15 year rerelease of #6093. Shhhh. It's a secret. Also limited to 20,000.
    jasor
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    ^I'll buy that for a dollar.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,935
    I actually really liked the old Ninjas/Castle line, and I was very disappointed when Ninjago went the way it did. I thought it was all very bizarre. Unfortunately, I don't think Lego could ever do a "historical" feudal Japan series now, given how much hype there is surrounding ninjas nowadays.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,577

I actually really liked the old Ninjas/Castle line, and I was very disappointed when Ninjago went the way it did. I thought it was all very bizarre. Unfortunately, I don't think Lego could ever do a "historical" feudal Japan series now, given how much hype there is surrounding ninjas nowadays.

Someday perhaps they could if more media emerges in popular culture that pays respect to historical Japan, or at least to a simplified version of such. It's not entirely out of the question... after all, Brave took place in medieval Scotland, which isn't exactly a setting you often see in family films these days. It wasn't 100% historically accurate, but then again, Hollywood versions of historical settings rarely are. The myths of history can be as important as the reality.

The Ninja theme in the late 90s was just one example of how the LEGO Group was scrambling for radical new ideas with its themes at that time. It was ostensibly a Castle theme like Fright Knights, Dragon Masters, Royal Knights, and others before it. But it radically changed the setting from medieval Europe to feudal Japan, something the LEGO Group might never have considered doing to one of their evergreen themes if they weren't in such dire financial straits. Plenty of other themes during that time were just as brilliantly innovative, even if they suffered in terms of building value: Rock Raiders, Adventurers, Insectoids, Cyber Slam/Competition, and Throwbots were unlike anything that had come before. Sometimes new ideas can emerge from desperation that way.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Ninjago's playful and colorful anachronism myself, but I wouldn't mind a historical Ninja theme either. And furthermore, I think it's perfectly possible that if Ninjago has a Direct-to-Consumer set, it might have a little more emphasis on drawing inspiration from history, considering it would be catering to an AFOL market as well as to kids. My favorite location-based Ninjago set has been the Fire Temple, which brilliantly balances authentic Japanese architecture and artifacts with dynamic fantasy play features. A D2C Ninjago castle could easily do the same. And #6093 was a part of my childhood collection.

Not sure how much we can trust this rumor, but if it turns out that it's true, I'll be as happy as anyone.
    plasmodium
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    I could use a new historical Ninja theme. I need some more black ninjas for my Wolverine minifig to slice and dice.