Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Target "LEGO Exclusives" Signs in Stores

legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
edited August 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Today there was a large sign between rows of LEGO sets in the Apex, NC, Target store stating that they offer many exclusive sets online at Target now. Included were the Palace Cinema, Tower Bridge, Fire Brigade, ...., at prices that look similar to those at lego.com us.

Has anyone noticed this sign in their Target and tried to place an order? The sign says that these sets are sold only online and not in Target stores. I still prefer to buy these sets directly from LEGO usually in their local store 20 minutes away. But this could be quite helpful to folks who don't have access to a LEGO store and who don't want to deal directly with LEGO.

Comments

• EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Yup! Saw this sign a week or so ago along with the new Star wars display. The display is rather nice.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I saw the sign aswell. Its still cheaper for me to buy from LEGO.com because even with using the 5% off at Target I still have to deal with the 9.75% sales tax here in steamy Louisiana.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @Thanos75 what part of LA are you in? Originally from there but stationed in Wash state with Army
    I'm in New Orleans . I moved down here about 6 years ago from Cleveland Ohio.
    edited August 2013
    ^^^ and I thought 9.5% in King county, Wa was high. :-)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    New sign, but nothing new.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    Was this the sign with a photo of the DS? I saw such sign at TG today, thought it was weird, but did not read it :).
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Here's what it looks like if anyone is interested...
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Thanos75 said:

I saw the sign aswell. Its still cheaper for me to buy from LEGO.com because even with using the 5% off at Target I still have to deal with the 9.75% sales tax here in steamy Louisiana.

??? Wouldn't you pay the same tax rate at [email protected]? Or is that only the case if you live close to a Lego store? I pay the same rate (6.5%) on [email protected] purchases as do in retail outlets.

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    edited August 2013
    I have 2 stores within 30 minutes of where I live (different county):
    Store 1: 9% tax
    Store 2: 6.81 % tax (my county but not my city)
    [email protected] : 2.9 % tax

For [email protected], I only pay the state tax, no county or city make it worthwhile on big items.
    cardgenius
    I pay the same 9.5% in store and [email protected] I did not know they charge tax differently for store and [email protected], learn something new everyday.:-)
    There must be different laws per state regarding online purchases. In Ohio, I pay the same amount of sales tax on [email protected] as I would if the purchase was made in my home county. So, 6.5% in my case. Sucks.
    edited August 2013
    As long as you dont have a LEGO store in your state you dont pay sales tax....atleast I have never been charged tax for any of my LEGO [email protected] orders. Its just like ordering something from Amazon. If I order something from Target.com or Walmart I do have to pay sales tax.
    The closest LEGO store to me is in Birmingham Alabama or Houston Texas...both about 6 hours away.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I don't pay any tax through [email protected]
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Glad to see that Target stores in the US are offering the exclusives online using in store signs. The sales tax of approx. seven per cent is charged on Lego.com purchases in our part of NC as best as I can tell.

Has anyone ordered any of these items from target.com, and what has your experience been so far? Fire Brigade is no longer available at Lego.com, so this could be the time to pick it up at the original list price.

I did notice the new SW display with so many SW minifigs, etc...WOW! Can't imagine what this display is worth! SW fans were lined up in front of it drooling! Looks wonderful in Target! It definitely kicks ass compared to previous LEGO displays in Target, which is a clean and safe place compared to most Walmarts. And the staff usually are much more informed and helpful than at WM. way to go Target!
    I have ordered things from Target.com before when they have had some great sales. I think thats where I bought my FB's from. I had no problems yet and the boxes used were heavey and well packed.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,111
    I bought my MMV and Maersk Train from Target.com and both came in great condition. Recommended.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    These aren't new, because most big, "exclusive" sets have been available from Target for years. They are just choosing to market them in stores now.

And imho, Target has above-average shipping and packing practices.
    legogal said:

Has anyone ordered any of these items from target.com, and what has your experience been so far? Fire Brigade is no longer available at Lego.com, so this could be the time to pick it up at the original list price.

Fire Brigade is available at Lego [email protected] The site was glitched out a day ago, but everything is back in order now.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,509
    I saw the signs.. It make perfect business sense to list these somewhere in the store, because if buyers simply go to the store only then many may not think about Target.com having LEGO, and LEGO exclusives, on their site.

I'm sure we will see the inevitable posting about this, so I will post it.
    You should be paying sales tax if you are in a state that collects it, just because you are not charged does not mean you can forget it, or at least shouldn't.
    It is the same reason why most people would go to Amazon.com instead of any Target (local or online) unless there are exclusives that are only at that store and not found on Amazon.
    This will change soon (as I believe we are closing in on an internet sales tax, or at least Amazon agreeing to charge the sales tax for that state their purchaser is in)but to be honest I probably would still go to Amazon.com for anything LEGO related that I can get from there.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Thanks for the feedback on target.com for purchasing Exclusives online. I had no idea they offered these sets....and have shopped there for at least a decade. Glad to see FB is again for sale at retail list price.

mad: I agree as to sales tax. That window looks like it is about to close. Most of the online merchants we deal with now charge state tax whether or not they have stores in state. This should even out the playing field a bit for retailers in the US because there is no way most brick and mortar stores can compete with online sales that do not charge sales tax.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited August 2013

I saw the signs.. It make perfect business sense to list these somewhere in the store, because if buyers simply go to the store only then many may not think about Target.com having LEGO, and LEGO exclusives, on their site.

You should be paying sales tax if you are in a state that collects it, just because you are not charged does not mean you can forget it, or at least shouldn't.
    It is the same reason why most people would go to Amazon.com instead of any Target (local or online) unless there are exclusives that are only at that store and not found on Amazon.
    This will change soon (as I believe we are closing in on an internet sales tax, or at least Amazon agreeing to charge the sales tax for that state their purchaser is in)but to be honest I probably would still go to Amazon.com for anything LEGO related that I can get from there.

Me, I think use tax is more unfair than it is fair because a) what does my state have anything to do with the item I'm buying. Nothing happened in my state that caused it to be manufactured or assembled. And, b) the state that did do those things is getting cheated out of their cut. Yeah "the man" is figuring it out as we speak, but at least in Michigan, it's a law, but it's also a law that I dare say most people break, and that's their business.

This has been debated here before, so my point is this. I don't think it's necessary to post it here dictating what people should or should not do. As obvious as it may be, we don't remind people to not to shoplift a CMF or not cross the solid yellow line while driving, so I don't think it's necessary to remind people of other laws either.

I was mainly speaking about the differences between states as far as if Lego charges the base state rate or the actual local rate and if it matters wether or not there is a store in your state. As far as reporting taxes on consumer purchases - I'm not going there. I think @tensor pretty much framed my thoughts up on the matter.