Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

3x #31120 MOC Build - Sorting Parts

rockethead26rockethead26 Northern ArizonaMember Posts: 92
We are getting ready to build one of the triple #31120 MOCs (Black_Falcon_Knights_Fortress_2-02_Instructions3X 31120_MOC) and have never done anything like this before.

If you have done something similar with multiple sets or plan to do so in the future, how have you sorted (or would you sort) the three boxes of parts before starting to build, so as to make it the easiest to find parts as you go thru the PDF instructions? Part size, color, type... ?

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Yellowstone, 1883Member Posts: 3,176
    @FollowsClosely may be a good resource on something along these lines. 
    rockethead26
  • rockethead26rockethead26 Northern ArizonaMember Posts: 92
    Well, we'll see how this works. Mrs Rockethead was ready to go so we just started sorting into small to large parts bins and ended up with 17 containers sorted by type, like bricks, tiles, plates, connectors, slopes, oddball parts, etc. We should be able to find thinks pretty quickly.

We sorted one set and will build until we need something from the second box and then we'll sort that one before continuing, etc.

Thanks folks,
    Jim
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55MaffyDWesterBricks
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,456
    I built a 3x #31120 castle before Christmas. It was this one:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-80329/mocscout/medieval-fortress-31120-medieval-castle-alternative/

My advice is to have lots of containers available and when it becomes manageable you should sort by colour, and then by brick type. Getting all the 1x1 bricks of various colours all in their own separate containers was key to me speeding up and making the build a joy rather than a slog.

Good luck!
    Switchfoot55rd1899
    @MaffyD Thanks for the hint. We did break out the 1x1 bricks from the rest, but not by color, yet. I didn't see the MOC you built when I was searching. Don't know how I missed that one, but I like it better than the other two at first glance. Reviews seem consistently great, too. I just bought the instructions and I think we'll do that one.

Cheers!
    MaffyDWesterBricks
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,456
    It's great on display. I loved building it. Doesn't open up though, so play options are limited. Have fun!
    rockethead26
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Haymarket, VAMember Posts: 1,268
    edited January 18
    I sorted the three sets by element into bins. I had about 50 trays of different sizes. I like to  use https://www.target.com/p/3pk-medium-storage-trays-white-brightroom-8482/-/A-77294239 as they come in four compatible sizes. This sorting took no more than 2 hours. I did not sort anything by color. Sorting by color is rarely useful.

Once I started the build, it went fast: 4 hours or so. This picture shows the bins I use and the finished Castle in the upper right.

I enjoyed both of the three in one MOCs by  https://rebrickable.com/users/Made With Brix/mocs/ 

The Löwenstein Castle and Official Expansion is also a great build, Upper left.
    rockethead26Switchfoot55Lo1sJessbricktuarySirBen
    MaffyD said:
    It's great on display. I loved building it. Doesn't open up though, so play options are limited. Have fun!
    The non-opening model is great for us as we are display types. Thanks!
    MaffyD
    I sorted the three sets by element into bins. I had about 50 trays of different sizes. I like to  use https://www.target.com/p/3pk-medium-storage-trays-white-brightroom-8482/-/A-77294239 as they come in four compatible sizes. This sorting took no more than 2 hours. I did not sort anything by color. Sorting by color is rarely useful.

Once I started the build, it went fast: 4 hours or so. This picture shows the bins I use and the finished Castle in the upper right.

I enjoyed both of the three in one MOCs by  https://rebrickable.com/users/Made With Brix/mocs/ 

The Löwenstein Castle and Official Expansion is also a great build, Upper left.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I do like those containers, but we're out of space for more LEGO accessories. We have enough Really Right Boxes in several sizes that work well. Love your building room!

I think we'll end up building several of the MOCs over the next few years. Just starting on our classic castle journey.