Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Unofficial Brickset IRC channel

paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,939
edited August 2013 in Community and Events
(With Huw's permission, I'm throwing this idea around to see if there's any interest in using IRC to chat about Lego-related topics in realtime.)

I've created a #brickset channel on irc.freenode.net if anyone would like to join.

I use IRC all the time, so I thought it would be interesting to see whether anyone else from the forum is interested in this kind of thing. It might not take off, but if it does I think it would be pretty cool. AFOLs seem to be a bit geekier than average, so it might work... :)

mIRC or xchat are probably the most popular IRC clients if you intend on loitering in the channel all day, or there's a convenient web client at http://webchat.freenode.net/

Please note this is not an official Brickset thing, but as I've only mentioned it here, the channel will probably only include Bricksetters.
sidersddFurrysaurusCoolsplashrocaomithridate

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Lol, way to take me back to the nineties. It was the place to download MP3's back in the day :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,025
    It's not for me, simply because discussion can already be fragmented over brickset.com and bricksetforum.com. To add a third channel just means you know you have seen something somewhere, but cannot find it.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,237
    ^ But since it isn't officially affiliated with Brickset means people could have some of those heated off-topic discussions in real time.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,025
    ^ Yeah, so long as discussions here don't refer to there.
    ^ Yup. It would be the end of the world if someone was out of the loop on the off topic discussion.
    Furrysaurusplasmodiumindigobox
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,217
    IRC! That's like...

IRC! *is amazed that people still know what that is*
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,939
    Reliving the old skool, yo :)
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    I started using IRC again last year after almost a 5 year hiatus. Some networks have died, but others are thriving. It's still a great medium and fits in rather well with the old school values on this forum.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 219
    Good speaking with you guys will come back when I can.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    8 of us chatting at the moment. Down from our peak of... 9 :P
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    stay away we're trouble! good group of peeps, been enjoying the room
    ^ Yeah was great fun watching you guys disconnect and reconnect for hours on end.
    hey i said hi to you @graphite
    edited February 2014
    Gosh, looks like the IRC channel has been going for over 6 months now.... and there are still people in it! :)

There have been over 20,000 lines of chat in that period.
    ^ of actual chat? or does that log include the connect/disconnect?
    edited February 2014
    16,000 normal messages (i.e. <nick> message)
    lol @graphite.. you popped in and then ran away when we talked to you Matt =-D We get some good convo going here and there... there's about 5 regular members and we've been as high as 9 in the past couple weeks.
    ^ I did IRC constantly for probably 8 years through college and a few years after but just don't sit at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time anymore.
    Yearly-bump: The Brickset IRC channel is still going after a year and a half, so feel free to come and loiter with us! Some times are livelier than others, but with more people from other time zones, who knows what might happen! I think most of us are from either the UK or US currently.

#brickset on irc.freenode.net
  • NeilCrosbyNeilCrosby United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    /me waves.

Paul's right - it's lovely in here. Often quiet, but _you_ can change that by coming and saying hello.
  • abordoliabordoli Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 131
    I did a test join and found two members camped out. Wanted to get a feel for the vibe before I re-installed my actual IRC client.
    Not sure if this IRC channel was more "hopping" in the past, but from experience, I know that what drives participators to such things is an adoption by devs/admins/mods/power-users/reviewers, etc.
    I think Slack is the new IRC now!
    edited January 2018
    The one that I am in has GeekDude and sid3windr. Is there new channel?

I also wanted to chime-in on the posts above like:
    "It's not for me, simply because discussion can already be fragmented over brickset.com and bricksetforum.com. To add a third channel just means you know you have seen something somewhere, but cannot find it."

-If it were on Discord it would be easily searchable...and Discord does not mean that anyone has to use a mic. Text is fine. IRC clients keep searchable logs. Also, "keeping up" isn't necessarily the goal of real-time-chat-apps...It's so much more about "Joining the Conversation" and "Making new Friends" with common interests. ;p
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,732
    edited January 2018
    I had no idea this existed! You learn some new every day :)

I had to really dig to find it. It might liven up if it were promoted more... ;P
    I re-installed my client and am a permanent resident of the chat channel. Hit me up anytime for chat.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,389
    Discord would be easier. I’m on Discord for a number of games/hobbies and adding another server to my list would be really simple. But doesn’t someone have to host it?
    MattDawson
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,302
    ^ Opposite for me, I'm not on Discord but am on 12 or so IRC servers.. ;-) So yea, we're kind of just idling in there most of the time.