The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 12

CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,439
edited August 2013 in Collecting
On the frontpage now ...

Well informed Eurobricks member Klaus-Dieter reports that the Collectable Minifigures Series 12 will only consist of Minifigures featured in The LEGO Movie. It will contain 16 Minifigures at the usual price.

And on EB ... http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85700

Judging by the trailer, it is a fairly boring mixture of characters and quite different to the regular series. I guess this could well be the end of collecting the entire lot for some people. It's strange that they will do this as a numbered series, and not just a one-off movie tie in (like Team GB was not an official CMF series).

Abe Lincoln's beard and especially the tall hat (for steampunk MOCs) will be nice, maybe Michelangelo's David (would they do a monochrome?). But Emmet, that girl with pink and blue streaky hair and classic spaceman, etc all seem a little boring.

Comments

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,234
    It does not fill me with excitement, but some of the potential Minifigures sound great, so I will wait and see before making an absolute judgement.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,781
    So I have to ask then, what were those pics of the welder and others for then? series 13?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,439
    ^ No, that's 11. 11 isn't out yet, except in Poland and possibly a few leaks in Germany and The Netherlands.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,906
    it is a bit early for assuming all the figures will come out of ones shown in the trailer.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,570
    edited August 2013
    I'd hazard a guess that a number might be versions of 'classic' figures, such as the classic blue spaceman. Similar to the bricktober giveaways.

I'd be highly doubtful that we'll see Batman, Wonder Woman and other licensed characters appear in a CMF range, but guess we'll have to wait and see. Happy to be proved wrong!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,781
    CCC said:

^ No, that's 11. 11 isn't out yet, except in Poland and possibly a few leaks in Germany and The Netherlands.

Ahh, sorry.. Trying to leapfrog over series I guess....
    I kinda wish LEGO would just stop doing these.. it would be easier on my wallet.
    I like having all the versions through 10 now, but it is kind of a pain to keep up..
    It would be nice if LEGO would slow releases to two per year, but Im sure that will never happen
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 258
    I would have thought that the main characters will come with the sets and the CMFs will be exclusives, no?
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    fingers crossed for the classic space minifig, maybe with a crack printed on his helmet?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,228
    ^ They are almost guaranteed to release the classic space guy since they already had him in the minifig display case set so I'm sure they have a fresh mold already.
    It will be interesting if they make a "broken" part for the helmet.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,005
    CCC said:

It will be interesting if they make a "broken" part for the helmet.

LOL! That would be really fun!

I'm looking forward to the girl with the streaked hair. I really like her.

But I also wonder about what @Thego said; I thought The LEGO Movie characters will be in sets. So what would be the point to also release them in packets?

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I'm going to withhold judgement until I see them. But my initial reaction was, Meh. And once you give up on 100%...
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    edited August 2013
    If that's true, i'm pretty sure we could official label the CMF series as "out of good ideas".

Series 10 was mostly just an army builders paradise(hit or miss) plus the cheesy mr gold stunt and series 11 has no wow factor.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    ^ Maybe there was an agreement between TLG and the movie company to give the Series 12 CMF to the movie and it's marketing team. Though I'm not sure if the dates line up for that to make sense.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,206
    Maybe I'm the only one excited... well, maybe not excited, but looking forward to both 11 and 12. I wasn't keep on 9 and 10, but thought, hey, I'll try to complete until 10 and then stop there (such a good number!). But with 11 and 12, they're really tugging on my purse strings... (I'm pretty stoked for the Lego movie actually).
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    What if Mr. Gold makes a cameo in the movie, will there be a Mr. Gold-movie-version in series 12? :O
    (only six twelfths kidding).
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    This could be great with a mix of old favourite figures or a complete shambles. Need to see some pictures to have a better idea. Either way I suspect for many it might be the end of CMF collecting.

This could be great with a mix of old favourite figures or a complete shambles. Need to see some pictures to have a better idea. Either way I suspect for many it might be the end of CMF collecting.

I think that is partly the problem. Either they introduce a lot of new characters in the movie (and there are clearly two key new ones from the trailer), or we are going to get rehashes of old figures such as the 1980s space guy. I have nothing against him, but he is nothing special parts wise. He is a fairly boring selection of parts, just normal body (with a nostalgic torso print) plus a common as anything helmet. That is not what the CMF series has been about. That helmet is going to have to be very special (and just being broken is probably not enough for me). I have found in most cases, the CMFs have been innovative in the distribution of new parts. If a whole series looks backwards, then it is going to be much less interesting. I am sure some of the completists will buy to be complete. But I am sure others will just stop.

Maybe they feel after 3-4 years, that the CMFs are no longer aimed just at full series completists and that there are enough new people to collecting just the current series that they do not need to be that appealing to older collectors since S1. Which also explains the number of duplicate / rehashed characters pairing up with older ones.

• CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Only better for the ones who love making City MOCs :)
    It depends what they do. The regular CMFs have been great for new city workers (non-police/fireman/orange vest wearers). Welder, Mechanic(s), Decorator, Butcher, Plumber, ... all decent new figures come out of the CMF line. And we have had some original policemen too, quite different to the regular sets type.
    Kids will love them. That's what counts.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Agreed @CCC, can't wait to get these :)
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    Maybe there will be movie variant costumes being Superheroes (or at least Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman) are in this movie and could be very easily done.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Thego said:

Not really. Seems like the biggest market is online resellers, army builders, and people obsessed with completing the collection which all are things that the afols are all about judging by online talk. and w/o the adult push, I suspect that the series would of gone belly or threatened to go belly up about 5 series ago.
    CCC said:

And within a week and a half to 2 weeks, if the pattern stays the same, we could be hearing of isolated stories of UK finds

Agreed.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,234
    edited August 2013
    @ACWWGal2011 - Kids are by far the biggest market for Collectable Minifigures. They were the most popular toy of 2012 in the UK and despite there being huge numbers of resellers, they pale beside the sheer volume of CMFs purchased by children, they are after all pocket money toys.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,906
    Resellers cannot possibly be the biggest market of anything or they would not exist. And don't say they just resell to other resellers. Maybe that happens on occasion if the deal is right, but there it is ridiculous to suppose there is some continual upward spiral of Lego being sold and resold to people with the sole purpose of selling yet again. Kids really do buy the most Lego, including CMFs. That is why there will be 6 new Police sets next year.

@ACWWGal2011 - Kids are by far the biggest market for Collectable Minifigures. They were the most popular toy of 2012 in the UK and despite there being huge numbers of resellers, they pale beside the sheer volume of CMFs purchased by children, they are after all pocket money toys.

Are there official statistics? I wonder as I rarely see kids buying them with pocket money. I see adults buying lots and I see adults buying one or two, but rarely see any kids buying them / choosing them for themselves.

Thego said:

Not really. Seems like the biggest market is online resellers, army builders, and people obsessed with completing the collection which all are things that the afols are all about judging by online talk.
    I can assure you that kids are the biggest market. Of course 'judging by the online talk' you'd think otherwise: the online LEGO community is made up of those people you mentioned. That is called the availability heuristic: you are just judging based on the discourse that you have taken part in.
    CCC said:

Are there official statistics? I wonder as I rarely see kids buying them with pocket money. I see adults buying lots and I see adults buying one or two, but rarely see any kids buying them / choosing them for themselves.
    Again, that's the availability heuristic colouring your view.
    I don't really understand. I rarely see kids choosing two cmfs over say a small £5 set when shopping, whether it is WHS, Argos or Sainsburys.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    Your experiences might not be representative of what happens in every store in the world. Or it could be. I have no clue.
  • OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    Minifigs on the endcaps are classic attractors for parents buying a little something for the kiddos to keep them happy (or just to be nice). I've seen families walk and get multiple figures per kid. Our Target got a series 9 box earlier this year on a Friday. By Sunday, there were none left! We live in a somewhat unique location in that we get tons of international (Canadian traffic) to cross the border and raid the stores. Lego aisles are frequently clogged.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    edited August 2013
    Trying to guess 16 figures just from the trailer isn't easy! I could only come up with nine:

1)Lincoln
    2)Michelangelo
    Those are the two I think will definitely be in the series. The rest of these are guesses based on figures I don't think they've made (but I could be wrong).

3)Red Luchador (Masked Wrestler)
    4)Cowboy with big brown hat and blue shirt and bandanna
    5)Purple Mermaid
    6)Traffic cop with safety vest
    7) Panda
    8)Grandma (hard to see but I think it's some new old lady)
    9) Laser dodging cop(?)

I don't think they would do any of the main characters because, as has already been said, they would be included in sets. So no Emmet, unless they do an alternative yelling mouth, no purple streak girl and no blind wizard dude.

And though there are a lot of super heroes I'm pretty sure they haven't made(once again I could be wrong), I doubt they'll be in the series but the movie may be a teaser of what is to come.

Random stupid thought: I wonder if Lego had to buy the license from Warner Bros. to make the toys? :}
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 298
    I'll wait until I see the actual proposed figures that will tie in to the movie, but I must admit im a little excited to see what they do with them. I doubt we will get anything like a Batman or Wonder Woman, but we might see some cool figures.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    What if series 12 is just a normal series, but all of the minifigs are going to show up in the movie. We just haven't seen them yet.

It could apply to any past series. What if every minifig from series 8 showed up in the movie. It's perfectly plausable, to make a story around them. This would mean we still get new molds, and no old figs rehashed.