Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Broken seals on SDCC Hobbit Micro Bag End

oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,453
I have now bought and received 2 SDCC Hobbit sets both with broken seals. Obviously I am a collector and wanted them sealed, both were described as new when I bought them. Both sellers have said they received them in open condition. One seller was even foolish enough to tell me the seals must have rotted and broke open by themselves. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, has anyone opened theirs? Both of the sets I received had only the sealed set and instructions. Was there anything else in the box besides that?

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    Hi. I received mine through a friend in the States. The seals were with intact. I can't bring myself to open it so idea what's in there but assume there to just be Tbeyd pieces and folded instructions.

I can't remember where but have read within the past day or two that the staff at the event were slicing the seals open before handing them over. I might have dreamt it but I don't think so.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,453
    Hi, Legoboy Thanks for the response. I have messaged several Ebay sellers who had them and all of them said their sets had the seals intact. I don't know what to think. One of the sets I got had cut seals and the other had broken seals like someone had just run their thumb nail along it to break it open. Very jagged edges on the open part of the seals.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Mine had a broken seal as well.
  • TrenthTrenth Member Posts: 162
    Mine did too, but the bags were sealed and it was #85 even though it was advertised as 700something. So I figured it was fine.
    @Trenth Bags? with an "s". The 2 I have only have 1 bag.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,288
    I received mine with one of the seals lifted up, although I purchased the item at a discount with the knowledge of this defect.

I went ahead and opened it, and I only have 1 bag as well (I think Trenth was speaking in the plural sense in regards to the number of sets he had, not the number of bags), which has a folded over top with a sticky "liner". The instructions were also bent slightly to fit inside the box. I was able to complete the set with the pieces in the one bag, there were no extra pieces.
  • TrenthTrenth Member Posts: 162
    sorry bag, just one
  • weevinweevin Member Posts: 34
    Mine was acquired by a friend for me at SDCC and mailed directly, and one seal was broken, and I believe I broke the other seal accidentally with extremely minimal effort while trying to figure out why the first one was broken.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    They come sealed straight from the booth. But the seals are very prone to breaking by themselves. My friend even exchanged one when we caught a broken seal. So sealed ones may be harder to find as time goes by.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I got mine at SDCC and hadn't taken it out of the bag till just a couple days ago. I realized my seals were broken as well, I think the seals are perforated and are even more prone to breaking than normal sets. I think the weight of the box just pulled on the seals and opened them since they are very fragile. I haven't built the set but everything looks to be there. Instructions and bag, that's it.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    I got it with broken seals as well, this must be one of the dumbest ways to seal a set, as it instantly breaks during transit. I have received Jek 14 with one broken seal as well.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,236
    Maybe the sealed ones are limited limited edition.
    jasor
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 521
    Mine is number 58 and one seal is broken. As someone else has mentioned they are perforated and I suspect almost the process of checking whether the seal was broken would break it!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    Perforated and intact, but as stated above, look extremely delicate.

@Legoboy Nice to see you have a real sealed set in your hands, it seems you may be one of the few. But thank you to everyone who left their comments on this thread, I appreciate them all. Now I can leave positive feedback for both sellers.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Both of mine were also broken, I knew that going into the trade. Seems to be very common.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    One of my Hobbit seals was broken, glad for this thread because it would have worried me. No matter in the long run because I plan on building it. Jek 14 seals were surprising both good but delicate as well.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    margot said:

One of my Hobbit seals was broken, glad for this thread because it would have worried me. No matter in the long run because I plan on building it. Jek 14 seals were surprising both good but delicate as well.

I was wondering that, if the Jek 14 seals were the same or not. This whole thread people have been mentioned how Bag End seals were very fragile but was the Star Wars set the same? I would assume so...
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Yes, Jek seals are the same, mentioned in my post I got mine with one seal broken.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Bag End and Jek both broken for me. They're the same style seals.