Lego computer games for MoC ideas

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited July 2011 in Building and Techniques
Ive never played a Lego computer game, but saw this image recently, from the Harry Potter game ...

... and really liked the london bus MoC.

It occurred to me that the Lego computer games could be packed full of great MoC ideas for all I know, and wondered if anyone who's played them could shed any light.

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,756
    It's funny how the cars are lego, but the buildings aren't.
    I wonder if these things are actually buildable? Or if they 'cheat' and just add some studs to make it look lego-like? Not exactly a MOC, but the donkey from the POTC game would be great to have in 'real-life'.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited July 2011
    Probably not entirely, for example Im not sure what those windows are, but there are some good ideas, for example I can see some improvements that could be made to this based on the computer game image:

In fact I wonder if they might have used the game model for inspiration.
    (from http://www.greatwesternlegoshow.com/)

• GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    It seems to me as if they put in less detail in the games version of the bus. That would of course save some rendering capacity to improve how smooth the game runs.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    I've played the Lego Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars (I & II) games and every time absolutely adored the little brick built stuff inside the games. It astounds me that LEGO haven't capitalised on some of these pieces, by either releasing the parts in a special Video Games Tub, with a whole bunch of instructions to make a bunch with, OR done them as Lego Shop incentives, or at the very least taken some inspiration from them.

Most of the levels in the game include a mini-build prize that you can deconstruct in a trophy room when you've found the parts - to see how they're built - and some of them are really good.

And the general level design across most of the games is often wonderfully done, with all sorts of little lego gems, which makes it all the more disappointing when something like the hoth base comes out, when they could have copied some of fun elements in the video game, (if they can't be bothered to even try re-create parts of the actual film sets, which they should have).

The video games brought me out of my Dark Age (I wanted something Lego, but not the expense of lots of sets, and at the time Lego Star Wars video game was a great way to have a 'complete' collection that I could play around with).

I'd recommend anyone who owns a games console to give the Lego games a bash.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
    Those are some old windows they used. The buses are reminiscent of the old London Bus set #760. Most of the windows look like these from that set: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/453 The one in the back of the bus in the distance seems to be this piece: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/645.

As for the backgrounds not being made of Lego, that's the one thing that disappoints me about the otherwise great Lego games.
  • TechnicManTechnicMan Member Posts: 23
    At the recent AFOLcon event in Manchester, Carl Greatrix gave an interesting talk on his work designing the in-game models for TT Games. Basically, the idea is that you should be able to freeze frame the game at any point and be able to build what is on screen from existing LEGO parts. They may not be sturdy but they are buildable! I haven't tried this myself but I've heard of several people who have built models from the games.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    There's a topic over at EuroBricks that has an index of some of the video game builds:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52356

So far, it's mainly Batman, Star Wars and Universe. They're all in LDD (.lxf) format. Some of them have reported 'cheats' on the part of Tt ( "Traveller's tales", the company that produces most of the licensed video games) where they fudged some connections, so some of the builds might not have 'legal' connections, but perhaps the people translating those items are mistaken.

That said, it's a great idea to use the in-game models as a springboard for physical/digital MOCs. It would be fun to make all the LPotC minikit ships, for instance. That would be an impressive collection.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
    The only thing I've built from the games is the minikit canister. Of course, I changed one piece so the lever on the side would have a way to stay connected.