Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Cheaper alternative to the LEGO Architecture Studio

paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
edited August 2013 in Building and Techniques
The main point of the #21050 Architecture Studio seems to be that all of the elements are the same colour, so you can concentrate on the shape of whatever you're creating. However, it still seems a bit expensive to me, and it isn't available in the UK yet anyway.

So, one thing that crossed my mind would be to buy 10 to 15 of the best value "Bricks and more" sets and then sort them into the five or six different colours they come in.

Each pile of the same colour might contain slightly different bricks, or even different quantities, but each same-colour pile of bricks could work out at less than 3p per brick (possibly even less than 2p per brick if you find a good deal on the "master" set).

In theory, it looks like a nice cheap way of a small group of people each getting around 1,500 brand new bricks of the same colour for less than 50 quid, or maybe as cheap as £25 if you find a megabargain.

The obvious downside is that you'd be missing out on the (apparently excellent) book that comes with the official Architecture Studio, and the range of bricks might not be as exciting.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing before? Is it a good idea? And would anyone actually be interested in a bulk quantity of same-colour bricks if they're not white?

Comments

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    The brick packs don't come with the same variety of slopes and other misc. pieces. I get what you are saying though. It would be great if Lego released add-on packs to the Studio set. I would appreciate the same pieces in light gray, tan and a variety of greens.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,362
    I have a large collection of LBG, DBG, tan, dark tan, black, etc. They normally get used together, but occasionally I'll make something just using one colour.
    I think a lot of people are missing the point of the Studio set. Think of it as 'sketching' with Lego. You don't buy it to build a complete minifig scale structure (though I suppose you could).
    MorkMan
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I think it is really important that the elements in the Studio set are white. As @mathew set, the focus here is designing or sketching. The white assured that you don't get distracted by color. The only focus is shape. My father is an architect and also teaches architecture, and they only make maquettes in white. There is a reason for that.

Having said that, getting several of the same set, then parting it out amongst a group of people either by color or by type of element is a common activity at LUG meatings, and very helpful for members - especially those building big MOCs...(c:
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    Interesting. I thought the main thing would be that all the parts are the same colour rather than specifically white. Although I suppose black bricks would be particularly bad at showing shadows and would be difficult to photograph...
    Given that white is essentially all colours combined, is it really any more distracting if you were to build with, say, a pile of entirely yellow bricks? I'm curious to try it now :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,362
    I don't think there is much difference if you are just going for form, so long as it is just one colour. Although saying that, watch young kids build. I remember my kids paying no attention whatsoever to colour when they used to build duplo structures early on. Same if you just pick up a bucket of mixed colours lego. If you completely ignore colour and just use the first random piece of the type you are after, then you can also explore form.

HarryPotterLoverklatu003T_LarsMorkManMrBerrechuxtoybox
    That looks totes amazeballs.
    R2-Psychedelic-D2
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,354
    I suppose you could wait for Winter to come around an dump some LEGO out in a snowstorm, go back a few days later and there you have your Architecture studio set :o)
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 687
    ^^^^The best "rainbow warrior" I've ever seen! But the same boombox printed brick was used in the same place on both legs...way too symmetrical!