Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[AUS] #41999 4x4 Crawler Unusually Low AUD Price

edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
Has anyone else noticed this? The USD RRP for #41999 is $200, followed closely by the AUD RRP at $220. Both qualify for free shipping. The AUD has recently slipped against the greenback and is trading at around 10% below parity. So there's effectively *no* AUD mark-up for this set, something which I find astonishing. Compare it with #10224 Town Hall, $200 USD as opposed to $300 AUD, at that was when the AUD was trading at 10% *above* parity. Less extreme but more recent is the #10240 UCS X-Wing, still an $80 markup from the $200 USD.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything but what's going on?
Eric

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Gift for those down under?

Perhaps distribution has gotten better and this will be a new trend?
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    The Crawler seems to be an outlier though, the #10234 Opera House, at $399 AUD as opposed to $319 USD, is a 25% mark-up. Still somewhat below what we're used to, but *appreciably* more than 10%.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    On current exchange rates I believe we get it the cheapest of anywhere.

AU: $219.99AUD
    US: $223.90AUD
    UK: $240.76AUD
    NZ: $263.30AUD
    EU: $267.70AUD
    CA: $270.42AUD

Strange one for sure, if only this was a sign of things to come.

I tend to think that this set was priced before our $ fell against the USD, although it still would have been a good price.

My worry is that the next wave of Lego (or the one after that) will reflect the currency change and prices will head north again.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Glad to see the guys down under catching a break on prices.. Normally they are forced to pay outrageous prices for their sets...
  • jtrjtr Member Posts: 37
    It seems the general tend for the AUD/US price gap is decreasing - Cinema palace (vs pet shop) would be another example of this trend.
  • NintendawgNintendawg Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, that is mostly true. Licensed themes are where the ripping off goes on.