Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Doubling up, modifying and expanding sets

BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 554
edited August 2013 in Building and Techniques
Has anyone got any good examples of this? Although I am continually impressed with TLG's offerings I often think they just aren't grand enough. Once I have built a set I usually immediately start thinking how to improve it. I don't mean like creating huge models, just keeping the sets aesthetics but improving on it.

Does anyone else regularly do this?

I have made a big palace by combining two Jabba's Palaces & one Rancor Pit and I'm currently working on a doubled Beach House, a doubled and expanded Joker's Funhouse and an expanded Vampire Castle.

I know posting pictures of Mocs is generally discouraged here. I hope this topic is ok.

Bob
JosephEKSamstevenzhangHarryPotterLovercarlqGurooo

Comments

• JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited August 2013
    Good idea! I have to say that I'm very fond of threads akin to this.

Certain examples such as the doubling up sets thread, the two different threads on modding super heroes sets, and the various examples of modding helm's deep (such as this) have not only given me something great to admire but also given me some great ideas and inspiration to make those sets I'm displaying that much cooler (a task that doesn't come naturally to me).

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this thread. :-)
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    We are planning on doubling the great hall of #4842 and adding more shops to the Diagon Alley.

I love looking at pictures of other people's creations. I might not be able to build stuff like them in this lifetime but that does not stop me from dreaming.:-)
  • stevenzhangstevenzhang Member Posts: 498
    more picture of the palace please! It looks great!! Nice idea about the lower section to support the tower part :)
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    I don't normally double up my sets, but for one set I made a special exception: #70503 The Golden Dragon. The single one I felt was incredibly disproportionate, the head was way too big. So I bought a second Golden Dragon and combined the two to create the Ultra Golden Dragon (with a few extra bits from my parts bin):
    And I think this dragon looks so much better than Lego's original, it now matches the dominance of the dragon from #9450, and that one's pretty huge.
    princedravenJoseph
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 554
    edited August 2013
    @stevenzhang there's more pictures in one of the threads @Joseph mentioned - the "doubling up sets thread". I don't know how to make a link to it but you can go up the page to Josephs comment and go from there.

@TheOneVeyronian I am not too familiar with Ninjago so I had to look at a picture of the original dragon first. Your mod is excellent, exactly what I was talking about. You have taken the original design and expanded it. When doing mods like this I think it is important to still be able to recognise the original model. You have done this very well.

Anyone else got any more examples?

BTW Joseph - could you PM me with a guide to make links like yours (where the text turns blue) please? I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Bob
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited August 2013
    Done.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    Thanks for the compliment @BOBJACK_JACKBOB - I think your version of Jabba's Palace is brilliant too. I don't own the original, but from the pictures I could tell Jabba was feeling a little cramped in there :-P. Awesome job on your behalf too.

And if anyone fancies having a go at my expanded Golden Dragon, I can knock up a LDD file of it. PM if interested and I can send you a file I guess :-)

Anyway, back on topic briefly - the only other mod I've done (with System anyway) was with the Malibu Mansion. I didn't double this one up, but I thought it would look much better with a small brick built (no BURPs) cliff. I think some of you may have already saw it, it was visible in a picture I did on the how do you display sets thread about 6 weeks ago.