Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Adult themed MOCs

chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
edited July 2013 in Everything else LEGO
The other day I was looking through the FLICKR (I think that's how you spell it)website looking for Lego MOCs. I have seen a lot of incredible creations made from Lego on this site. I came across one persons creations that, although they were incredible, still made me feel like I was looking at something "dirty". Basically, he made well-endowed female figures out of Bionicle. (His photos were even under the category "Bionicle") And then he put his figures in alluring poses, not really raunchy, but still "seductive" enough too , once again, make me feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't have wanted my wife to walk in just then, if you know what I mean. Did I look at all of his pictures? Of course I did! I'm not going to lie. But at the same time I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "This is wrong to do with Lego!" I have always seen Lego as a "wholesome" and "moral" entity much like Disney. You don't expect to find anything morally questionable when you buy your children a Lego product.
I've also seen a lot of cool Lego MOCs depicting large masacres of minifigures shooting other minifigures, red crystal elements used ingeniously to represent the spray of blood from a figures back due to a gunshot. You'll notice that I used the words "cool" and "ingenious" because, once again, I can't deny that I thought they were! Yet still the voice in my head says,"That's wrong to do with Lego!"
I've heard a lot of people say that they wish Lego would do a Blade Runner set. I don't. I hope that's the last thing that Lego ever does because it would mean that they lowered their standards of morality and family values. Don't get me wrong, Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies! It stars my favorite actor, Harrison Ford! But Blade Runner has violence and nudity. I've seen some AWESOME Blade Runner MOCs and in this case its not so much as "its wrong to do with Lego" as "it wouldn't be right for Lego to do".
A book was recently released on how to make realistic looking guns using Lego. My first thought was, "Great! That's all we need is for a kid to get shot because he was running around with a replica of a gun made out of Lego!" Are the guns frickin' AWESOME as far as creativity and design go? Yes! But are they right for Lego? I say no.
I'm not here to preach,(maybe just a little) just sharing my thoughts and feelings. How do you feel about Lego being used to make things more "adult"? As I've said, I've always seen Lego as a positive product with a sense of morality and "family values" to it, for want of better words. And like Disney, Star Wars, Dr. Seuss and other such things, that's part of the reason I enjoy it.

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,285
    edited July 2013
    Honestly, I don't see much good or enriching discussion coming out of a topic like this, but perhaps I'm wrong.

One LEGO sells their product, they don't have any entitlement to how their product is being used. Whether I, they, or anyone else agrees with it or not.

No matter the product, someone somewhere will find a way to use it in a way you don't agree with.

If you don't like it, don't build it, don't share it, don't click on it, don't look at it, don't support it. That's all you really can do.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited July 2013
    I bought a pen recently and used it to write a charming "thank-you" letter. It is my suspicion that someone else bought a similar pen and wrote some rude words.

What are we to learn from this?

And don't get me started on paint! Have you seen what Rubens got up to?
    carlqLostInTranslationtedward
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    Rule Nbr 34 applies to Lego apparently.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,227
    Were his models BOLOCs?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    My eyes...

The Enter key was invented for a reason. I read part of it, then started to go blind, so I had to stop. :)
    Banditsidersdd
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,032
    @chuxtoybox, as far as I'm concerned LEGO is a creative medium. As others have said already; once you buy it it is yours to use as you wish. Some people will give it to their children, and some will create adult materials with it. It is not any different than using clay, wood, paper, crayons or any other medium for making things.

I have seen adult-themed LEGO creations as well and it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. I appreciate the creativity and resourcefulness in using LEGO elements in a unique way. Would I show it to children? I won't. Just like I won't show other adult-intended creations to kids.

We may associate LEGO or crayons or bright colors with kids, but there is absolutely no reason why those same mediums can't depict adult material. In fact that is the art that usually hits us the most; the one that is made with materials we won't expect...(c;
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I just wish stop motion artists would put a rating on their stuff... Kind of an ongoing gripe I have.
    LegoPodcaster