Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Photographs of scary people in LEGO artwork

caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
edited July 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Just received my #271 and was duly frightened/amused to learn that they hired one of the twins from The Shining for the box art photoshoot.

It's not the first time a human being on LEGO box art, catalogues or instructions has spooked me. Thought maybe others may enjoy chipping in with examples?
flowerpotgirlGuroooBrickDancerDougoutLostInTranslationcoachie

Comments

• woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    That girl really is concentrating isn't she. Did the boy grow up to play Jaws in James Bond (I think he wore that outfit in the film too)
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    This could be the first time the Brickset Forums have ever given me nightmares...
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    edited July 2013
    It's really sweet that they were happy to show a pic of a kid concentrating back in the early '70s. I distinctly remember being so sickened by the appearance in a c.1979 catalogue of two Scala-clad girls who were giggling so hard they looked like they probably ended up peeing themselves that I took a biro and SCRIBBLED ALL OVER THEIR HAPPY HAPPY FACES. These days, I pay good money for wave 1 Scala printed tiles, and anger management therapy.

@CCC that sun is freaking me also. Damn nice die cut on the box window though.
    LostInTranslation
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    Just off to check my old boxes, I may be some time....
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited July 2013
    Did Lego have a factory in britain? Just noticed the "made in Great britain" on the box

Never knew lego made stuff here :)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ North Wales unless I'm much mistaken
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,097
    The old Lego photos of kids playing were so much better than the screaming Win! Kid.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    The movie Home Alone ruined commercial child photography. Too many "extreme" pics of kids screaming since then.
    Dougoutcaperberry
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,243
    Home Alone ruined more than just that.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    That poor child has vampire fangs.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    LegoMom1 said:

Or is it, that poor Vampire looks like a child?

flowerpotgirl
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    Hey, leave that poor vampire child alone! The joy of Lego building is for everyone!
    Aanchir

LegoMom1 said:

Or is it, that poor Vampire looks like a child?

Well now that you mention it, I'm not quite sure. Could go either way!

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,830
    edited July 2013
    Everyone makes a big deal of the "raging demonic child" on the "take this survey and win free LEGO" page in today's instruction books. Truth be told I don't find him nearly as terrifying as some of the kids in certain Ninjago ads. Like the blond kid here or here.

I recently picked up the book Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry, and it mentions about the Ninjago spinners that "the Ninjago concept team's goal—left unstated to upper management—was for the toy to be so popular it would be banned from schools." With that in mind it's a bit less of a surprise that the Ninjago spinner print and TV ads seem to try and present Ninjago spinner battles as something so edgy and rebellious. Still, even as a fan of the Ninjago spinners I can't help but find these posters a bit over-the-top in their creepiness! Thankfully TLG toned it down a bit in the next year's posters, giving their blond kid a more sensible haircut and a less unsettling grin.
    murphquake
    On the subject of creepy has anyone ever seen this doll tv ad?

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,234
    edited July 2013
    ^ I'm already creeped out by the video's cover, not sure I wanna watch that...

[EDIT] I did, and I was right the first time.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

If we're doing just run-of-the-mill creepy... here's the ACTUAL BOX for delicious Sugar Krinkles... and just for kicks, a still from the commercial as well.
    y2josh said:

If we're doing just run-of-the-mill creepy... here's the ACTUAL BOX for delicious Sugar Krinkles... and just for kicks, a still from the commercial as well.
    Yeah i just watched the video for it when i was looking for the tv ad i posted :D

As PC wasnt commonplace back then maybe they found the pun "cereal killer" quite amusing :D
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    I watched that doll tv ad, and now I have to change my pants.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Matthew said:

^ North Wales unless I'm much mistaken

Yes, wrexham. which was the hq or british lego until 93 and lego stayed there until 99 when they moved down to slough.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,243
    It's not official lego artwork, but ...

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=2724
    princedravenFurrysaurusGothamConstructionCoLegoMom1samiam391jasor
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    ^ Correct, it's Merlin's! ;o)
    FurrysaurusGothamConstructionCo
    CCC said:

Nice pic. As a relatively new member, it's nice to be able to put a face with the usernames. Thanks.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,288
    CCC said:

Oh my, the horror! I think we need to start putting restrictions on what we are allowed to post in here, my fragile nerves can only take so much.
    Yeah I kind of feel responsible for starting the thread. I had no idea it would come to this.
    rancorbaitLegoboy
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Another chance to see some AFOL in the wild on joint migration to Manchester and just been fed at a pop up store. As well as the more common beardy and bespectacled varieties shown, this picture also includes a rare Aussie variety!! @caperberry

I can remember DrDave taking the pic, I can only assume @Legoboy was absent from the picture as he was probably off making a deal somewhere!

Ps. Can anyone remember what the 'Hot' set was that was in most people's bags that weekend? :-)
    Furrysaurus
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2013
    @collect_that - I was not there but I remember it was #10225 R2-D2 (I think).
    collect_that
    And the rarer South African variety too, how nice. Nice pic all around actually - you are soooooo off-topic @collect_that ;O)

Only person freaking me out is @MinifigMe's better half... I've never seen him not actually grinning.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Sorry mate, consider wrist slapped! ;-(

I'll hunt for something more suitable....
    I'm waaaaaaiting...
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    edited July 2013

I can remember DrDave taking the pic, I can only assume @Legoboy was absent from the picture as he was probably off making a deal somewhere!

As a volunteer for the show, @Legoboy was busy doing what he was meant to be doing - helping! He was busy sticking tape down on the floor to help indicate the route of entry to the mosaic stand and recalls missing dinner with the rest of the bunch as a result! He's still bitter about it!
    Furrysaurus
    The quality of the queuing management systems is one of my primary happy memories of that conference. That dinner was awful though
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    We saved you some pizza though @legoboy, didn't we? I remember carrying the box when we went over to the LDC!

I didn't have R2-D2 in my bag, I bought the Hulk Helicarrier set cos I wanted the free TC-14... 2 weeks later Tesco reduced it to £12. And yes, I'm still bitter about that one!

AFOLcon was so much fun. It's such a shame there's not going to be one this year. Fingers crossed for next year!!
    caperberry
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    ^ Everything crossed here for an AFOLcon next year as that would make it my first convention where I am old enough to take part fully, rather than just visit!
    ^ you are a TFOL? I am.