Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Series 5 Minifigures

MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
edited March 2011 in Collecting
New photos are here: http://www.mikado-spieleland.de/index.php?a=299
With thanks to r4-g9 and WhiteFang over at Eurobricks.

Comments

• OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    I think I like all of them...Darn!
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    These are some really cool looking figs. Seriously, the time duration from series to series release needs to be greater than what we've been seeing.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I think I like Series 4 better.
  • TervlonTervlon Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2011
    Series 5 is starting to look un-LEGO to me. I'm sure I'll adapt and I am not upset about the figs, nor do I dislike them. My initial gut reaction was more of a pause rather than a cheer, if that makes sense. There are great figs but the highly specialized accessories (dinosaur suit and chimp, I'm talking to you) kind of bother me at the moment.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
    I have to agree. If it wasn't for the shape of their hands ane feet, one would be forgiven for thinking they came out of a Kinder Egg. Sorry Lego.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    one would be forgiven for thinking they came out of a Kinder Egg...
    Especially that dinosaur, although when they all come out I'm sure we'll all be queueing up for them.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Technically, it's a guy in a giant mutant lizard monster (aka gojira) suit :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,374
    There are great figs but the highly specialized accessories (dinosaur suit and chimp, I'm talking to you) kind of bother me at the moment.
    Oops - those two are my favourites !
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    I still wonder how many more series are to come...the caveman already has a female counterpart, as well as the other characters (or at least we could pair or match them up to those: kimono girl/samurai/sumo love triangle). Ten should be a nice number.

The guy in the gorilla and the dinosaur suit should still be better off than a guy in a chicken suit...though if LEGO would've made one I think I'd still buy that just for the sake of fun.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited March 2011
    I love the lizard suit guy, mainly because he reminds me of Hannibal from the A-Team (80's TV Show not the recent movie), remember the opening credits where Hannibal is wearing a lizard suit anyone? I also love the Hazmat guy from S4 because he reminds me of one of my favourite video game characters of all-time Gordon Freeman from Half-Life.
    edited March 2011
    I also love the Hazmat guy from S4 because he reminds me of one of my favourite video game characters of all-time Gordon Freeman from Half-Life.
    Seconded - I thought that as soon as I saw him. The right colour and everything !

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
    ... reminds me of Hannibal from the A-Team (80's TV Show not the recent movie), remember the opening credits where Hannibal is wearing a lizard suit anyone
    You remember that too? Smoking the Cuban cigar inside the Godzilla hat. Ah...bliss!

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited March 2011
    I also love the Hazmat guy from S4 because he reminds me of one of my favourite video game characters of all-time Gordon Freeman from Half-Life.
    Seconded - I thought that as soon as I saw him. The right colour and everything !
    He just needs one of the new red crowbars & he's good to go :-)
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    He just needs one of the new red crowbars & he's good to go :-)
    "I love it when a plan comes together.."
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    These series 5 figs look great! However, I'm getting concerned about these quality issues I keep hearing about. If the series 5 figs are made of cheap quality plastic like I've heard previous series have been, I might pass them up, epic Green dino dude withstanding.
  • gimegime Member Posts: 21
    After Series 1, there is nothing wrong with the quality. Plastic is just a little bit different but nothing's wrong with the assembly or durability. Since S3, the quality further improved, so don't panic.
  • zombymobsterzombymobster Member Posts: 9
    These are some really cool looking figs. Seriously, the time duration from series to series release needs to be greater than what we've been seeing.
    I know. I'm waiting for the first Series 4 figures I just ordered from Lego.

• Mr_MalfoyMr_Malfoy Member Posts: 4
    These series 5 figs look great! However, I'm getting concerned about these quality issues I keep hearing about. If the series 5 figs are made of cheap quality plastic like I've heard previous series have been, I might pass them up, epic Green dino dude withstanding.
    My series 3 & 4 minifigs aren't poor quality, so maybe some minifigs aren't made as well as others....

First post YAY!
  • Mr_MalfoyMr_Malfoy Member Posts: 4
    I think that out of the 16 series 5 minifigs, I want ten of them: The Murmillo, Zookeeper, Gangster, Dinosaur Suit Guy, Cavewoman, Ancient Egyptian Woman (Cleopatra?), Fitness Dancer, University Graduate, Lumberjack, and the Grenadier Guard (names from Brickipedia.) Come on calendar, get going to July/August FAST!!!
  • smokebelchsmokebelch UKMember Posts: 85
    I love the lizard suit guy, mainly because he reminds me of Hannibal from the A-Team (80's TV Show not the recent movie), remember the opening credits where Hannibal is wearing a lizard suit anyone?
    Haha thats the first thing I thought when I saw this figure as well! Should definatly come with a cigar accessory to recreate that moment from the opening credits :)
  • LanthalLanthal Member Posts: 7
    I have to say, I'm very much liking the look of the figures in this set. Particular highlights for me are the grauduate, the gangster and the second clown. Also, I love the viking. I just finished collecting all of Series 3 and am waiting for Series 4 to come out here in Australia. I think I fell short of one or two figures in Series 1 and 2 though which is a shame.
    I think I fell short of one or two figures in Series 1 and 2 though which is a shame.
    Which ones are you missing ?
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I have to say, I'm very much liking the look of the figures in this set. Particular highlights for me are the grauduate, the gangster and the second clown. Also, I love the viking.
    It's a dwarf. The Viking is in Series 4.

• LanthalLanthal Member Posts: 7
    I just double checked and I have all of series 2 but i don't have the cheerleader, the robot or the tribal hunter from series 1. I was a bit late noticing series 1 in the stores and wasn't able to find them, unfortunately.

@prof1515 yeah, i realised it was a Dwarf when I had a second look. Either way, it's very cool.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I like them overall, a few nice ones but nothing to write home about. My personal faves are the 'youth culture' ones like disco dude and the punk - I'm really waiting for rasta and grunge guy!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 948
    I was quite underwhelmed when I saw them, and haven't changed my mind much.

I think 16 is too much per series, at least with the frequency of releases. I really don't like that they seem to be rehashing earlier series' minifigs, already. A cavewoman makes sense to accompany Series 1's caveman; but the fitness instructor is effectively a carbon copy of Serie 2's pop star, we don't need another snowboarder (nor another skater in Series 4), or a female jungle explorer IMO (though she has a cool monkey!)

Damn it, I hate being a completist. I just know despite the above I'll have them all.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2011
    I was quite underwhelmed when I saw them, and haven't changed my mind much.

I think 16 is too much per series, at least with the frequency of releases. I really don't like that they seem to be rehashing earlier series' minifigs, already. A cavewoman makes sense to accompany Series 1's caveman; but the fitness instructor is effectively a carbon copy of Serie 2's pop star, we don't need another snowboarder (nor another skater in Series 4), or a female jungle explorer IMO (though she has a cool monkey!)
    The fitness instructor is a completely different print and type of figure. Just because the accessory is similar doesn't mean the figure is. The snowboarder and skater are variations on earlier ones but the "female jungle explorer" isn't an explorer. I believe she's a zookeeper (it also appears to be a chimpanzee, not a monkey).

I agree that they're overproducing these but that's probably because they expect the fascination with them to flare out and they want to capitalize on it before people shrug at the release of a new lot and say, "Same old, same old. Who cares?" One could argue that the rapid release will only hasten that feeling and they've probably considered that, weighed it against a more measured release and opted for the former. Hard to say.

I find Series 5 to be pretty good. I found most of series 1 (especially the fascination with the zombie which is my least favorite out of the 80 they've revealed thus far) to be a bit underwhelming and series 4 isn't that impressive either.