Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Black #10179

ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
edited July 2013 in Everything else LEGO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Millennium-Falcon-10179-Custom-BLACK-New-100-complete-/111120232218?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item19df482f1a

I saw this while trolling ebay. It's not my auction but was intreged by the black color and am amazed by the effort that it must have took to create it. Is the creator a Bricksetter? Let's hear about it!

Comments

• LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    No offence to the seller but that looks awful :(
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Black does hide the detail that makes the #10179 model visually appealing. And there are 2 of them for sale!
    ecmo47 said:

Black does hide the detail that makes the #10179 model visually appealing. And there are 2 of them for sale!

I remember seeing a version on eurobricks where they used a mixture of old grey second hand pieces, it looked fantastic as it looked really weathered and dirty like it is in the films :)
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Will it fetch that $$ ?
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    FUGLY!

Full stop! That is one of the ugliest things I have seen. The person should hang their head in shame. That's not creationism, it's an abomination!
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 947
    edited July 2013

FUGLY!

Full stop! That is one of the ugliest things I have seen. The person should hang their head in shame. That's not creationism, it's an abomination!

I've seen plenty of ugly, and this isn't close.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Hate it.
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Doesn't look great at all
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    1265 said:

FUGLY!

I've seen plenty of ugly, and this isn't close.

It's like painting a Ferrari pink, making Twinkies green, spray painting your snowman any color. It's just things that are never suppose to happen.

In my opinion, it's a crime what that person has done. The Falcon has always been grey and it should never / can never be anything other than that.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    It is true that the Falcon isn't black but that doesn't mean that another YT-1300 couldn't have been. I don't think it looks good at all and is definitely not worth what he's asking. $0.10 a part + premium for any of the rare parts that are on it.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    Although the falcon was apparently painted black during the Yuuzhan Vong War, (gotta love Wookiepedia) I have to agree that it looks a heck of a lot better in gray.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    What about white? Would it look better that way?

Or blue? Or red?

My only thought... if you are going to spend that much money, and make 2 of them no less, why, oh please why... can't they take decent pictures?
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I like it.. But I don't $1800 like. A white one would be awesome.

I'm probably one of the few not impressed with 10179. I bought a used one, built it, and sold it.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Sounds like you were more depressed than impressed.
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    From the page:

Item condition: -- “NEW Never Assembled”

Uhhhhhhhhh...
    Pitfall69Bumblepants
    ^ It has been noted that he has more than one, the one in the pictures is probably his personal copy, he may well have Bricklinked 3 or 4 copies at once, cheaper that way usually.

I like it.. But I don't $1800 like. A white one would be awesome.

I'm probably one of the few not impressed with 10179. I bought a used one, built it, and sold it.

Amazingly enough, for the non-uber Star Wars people who walk into my house, they are most impressed by UCS Imperial Shuttle and UCS Imperial Star Destroyer. When I had the UCS Falcon up, about the only person it impressed is my mother who was being nice.

Uber-fans love it, but somehow that didn't translate well.

Frankly, the Eiffel Tower gets as many "oohs and ahhs" as anything else does.

I liked the Falcon, and if I could buy another one tomorrow for $500, I would without question. But for $2,000 (used), I was happy to sell. :) The current $3K new price is just nuts.

My 2 cents worth... (or PM me an offer!)
    LegofanScott - I'll have to hunt up that picture you mentioned. I wonder what Cavegods AT-AT would look like if you used a mix of grey bricks and gave it a cammo pattern like on the US Army fatigues. It might look cool but I'd hate to put so much effort into a project have have it turn out less then desirable.
    ecmo47 said:

LegofanScott - I'll have to hunt up that picture you mentioned. I wonder what Cavegods AT-AT would look like if you used a mix of grey bricks and gave it a cammo pattern like on the US Army fatigues. It might look cool but I'd hate to put so much effort into a project have have it turn out less then desirable.

No need to ecmo, here it is ;)

eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67129&st=0
    Thanks! Looks very authentic. I like the especially dirty plate on the right mandible near the cockpit.
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    Whatever it is, it sure isn't fugly. Your perception is skewed because of what you're used to. Had the Falcon in the movies been medium blue or yellow, you'd be hating on the gray one now.

If you're honest, it's just a color. But it is still the exact same vehicle. You don't like black, fair enough. Han would. He'd also call you a girl for caring about color.

And if you're really honest, this is actually not just a color. Painting a Ferrari pink, now that is just a color. It is trivial. This guy here had to get completely different parts. I applaud the effort that went into this. Show me a 10212 in red, and I'll applaud it, too.
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    @schwallex

But it is grey, schwallex. You can't say the "what ifs" because that has nothing to do with it being "fugly". What if batman was originally orange, then he'd look better orange. Duh.

I'm sure this took a lot of time and effort to make this millennium falcon black but let's admit that this isn't the ideal color because the millennium falcon is grey! Unless batman drives it of course...