Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Valuable Modern Non-Minifig Lego Bricks

vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179
edited July 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Do you own a hidden gem? With the Modular Market Street and Cafe Corner fetching ridiculous prices these days, the Dark Blue 1x8 Arch is being sold for about $30/ea (Bricklink)... the Market Street requires 5. Just 4 months ago, I bought 5 for $0.16/ea. This means if you own the Bionicle sets like 8893 or 8757, it's time to part out and cash in.

Other than the obvious Batman and Star Wars minifigs, do you know of any other modern bricks (available in the last 10 years) that are in such high demand or scarcity.

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,346
    Sand green macaroni.
  • BrickBugBrickBug Member Posts: 14
    Where'd you get sand green macaroni, @drdavewatford ???
  • squizsquiz Member Posts: 13
    i think its this piece from the statue of liberty set.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPriceGuide.asp?P=3063&colorID=48

Is there a way on bricklink of showing the highest priced pieces ? I figure there probably is but i dont know how. The interface is pretty clunky!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,346
    edited July 2011
    ^ Yup - that's the one.

There are currently only 5 for sale on Bricklink, all from one seller, at a price of £43.26 each.....!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    White tabbed hoses from market street
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=73590c02a
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,479
    What are the 7760 1 x 3 x 2 Blue classic windows going for now?

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Wow!!! Those prices are ridiculous! I thought I was hard done by having to pay $1.50 each for dark bluish grey 1x16 technic bricks. Although the most expensive at the time was around $5.00 each. I needed 48 and substituted about a third of them for much cheaper black ones.

Makes me glad I didn't start to piece together the old Modulars with those prices!
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,031
    I collect 2x2 bricks, and I have some super rare colors: light-flesh, very-light-orange, light-yellow, bright-green, medium-violet, light-purple, trans-orange, and an unknown color (no other known LEGO part exist in this color) - I call it "cream". And there is a trans-yellow coming soon!

Most of these I was lucky enough to get fairly cheap, but there was one 2x2 I paid $17 for! Yeah, it was rare!...(c;

Oh, and I also collect Modulex 2x2s!

The enclosed picture is a bit old, I have aquired some new bricks since then, but I haven't taken a new picture yet. Collecting 2x2s is half as addictive as collecting 2x4s though!...(c:
    murphquake
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179
    ^ Nice collection. I like the color gradient. I'm thinking of rounding up all my 1x1 round straight sides, since you get extras in each set.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2011
    Some other common parts are rare in some colors... yellow seems to be one of them.

The 1x4x5 window was only produced in yellow... and only with fixed glass, in the 1982 6372 Town House set. The rolltop garage bricks in yellow were only produced in the USA for set 6383 Public Works Center Set of the early 1980s.

And want to see a really crazy price for a part... the black lattice 1x4x2 gate/base.. Yikes! Only found in 1970s train sets.

It seems that some Bricklink folks have connections at TLG and have access to old LEGO stock inventory... recently I saw someone sell 100 black 1x2x2 classic windows (only found in some early 80s train sets)... someone got all 100 for only $10 each.

Go look at Dutch Bricklink seller PAZZO (can't remember his store name)... he's got a gold mine in large quantities of parts in rare colors.

But buyers should beware.... just look at the new Maersk blue construction helmets out in the new Maersk Train set... I'm sure it angered some collectors who owned old copies of that hat!! They dropped in value by hundreds of dollars.

One of my personal old time brick favorites (I had 4 of them) that was once very rare was the 45 degree 2x2 double concave corner brick in white (although they were never highly priced). It was only found in the 386 Ambulance Set (different set number in the USA) in the mid 1970s... and the set only had 2 of them (so I bought 2 sets for those 4 bricks in Germany in 1979). Then when the Harry Potter Shrieking Shack set came out a few years ago... they were common again...

Unless the parts have been discontinued (such as the classic LEGO windows)... I would be cautious about spending too much on too many common parts in rare colors... they may make a comeback... like those white slopes... after an absence of 30 years...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,479
    ^--- Hear you about the Maersk hard hats.. I was on the phone with a Lego service rep and they said a guy in the office had recently bought a hard hat for a few hundred bucks only to find out they were being re-released.

Mercifully I have found good deals on parts (mostly cause of the higher shipping) in AUS for some rare parts and sets (Lego Lots from AUS are where I found my 7740, 7710, 7730, and 7727, as well as some of the earlier cranes -like 7819) and found the 5 black classic 1x2x2 windows for only about 10-15 (US) bucks a piece (after shipping)... It also seems that due to the release of the new 1 x 2 x 2 window frames that less people feel inclined to buy the classic windows because I have seen the prices drop on those a bit.
    edited July 2011
    ^ a price drop would likely be mainly for the white 1x2x2 classic windows... (unless the new ones came out in red already?)... ironically the smaller the classic window, the higher priced it seems to be... especially the 1x1x1, 1x2x1 and 1x1x2.

I've never been a LEGO train person, but I remember being in Germany and seeing a stack of 7740 Intercity Trains (25+ years ago)... and drooled over those 10 gray 1x2x2 classic windows (only ever found in that one set).... and also the four 3x3 yellow convex corner low slopes... which have since been found in excess model shop inventory in PAB selections...

But I can see one day a black lattice gate/base being introduced again.

And check out the Bricklink prices on the Maersk blue construction helmets... talk about messing up the price guide!.....
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3833&colorID=72
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179
    ^ Sold for $168? Buyer remorse.... Someone has way too much money to spend. $168 for a set... sure, but for an element. I hope that guy bought several of the Maersk train sets after that price drop to make himself feel better.
    ^ Either that or they talked themselves into saying... "yes but it's a different helmet mold their using now".... that's likely the reason some are still at over $100.

But to find a buyer for an old mold helmet is not going to be easy...